FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Air France lounges and contract lounges master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1642007-air-france-lounges-contract-lounges-master-thread.html)

Goldorak Oct 14, 2019 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by AAguy1979 (Post 31628667)
I'll be traveling from ORD-CDG to celebrate American Thanksgiving in Paris, compliments of an insanely good paid economy ticket over last year's Christmas holiday. We'll be traveling with a few friends whose return flights depart CDG a few hours before us. As this will be their first time in France, we'll likely arrange a single shuttle and arrive early to the airport. Based on the AF website, Flying Blue Explorers can purchase CDG lounge access for 50 Euro, pending space. Has anyone recently done this? The lounges look appealing and an early lunch and some wine in the lounge seems like a great way to end a long weekend in Paris. I'm just not sure what the success rate is, meaning how often does AF simply say "sorry - lounge full". Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

9 to 13 is a very busy time in 2E lounges, so you may be declined. But there is no risk to try.

JOUY31 Oct 15, 2019 9:54 am

Currently in the 2F1 lounge where a pleasant lounge attendant is doing the rounds, proactively offering a glass of Champagne. (I am no Ultimate 😉 )

A nice touch before sucré/salé on my way to Montpellier and after a tgv ride from Strasbourg where there were no sandwiches, due to a logistics problem and no warm meal due to an oven failure!

Thanks, AF, for this pleasant moment!

Goldorak Oct 15, 2019 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by JOUY31 (Post 31630768)
Currently in the 2F1 lounge where a pleasant lounge attendant is doing the rounds, proactively offering a glass of Champagne. (I am no Ultimate 😉 )

A nice touch before sucré/salé on my way to Montpellier and after a tgv ride from Strasbourg where there were no sandwiches, due to a logistics problem and no warm meal due to an oven failure!

Thanks, AF, for this pleasant moment!

This Champagne distribution is done every evening for several years now, and yes, this is a nice touch. But if we want to speak about consistency of product offering, I don’t understand why Champagne is available all day at 2G lounge (in self-service like in the 2E lounges) and not in 2F lounges.

Fabo.sk Oct 16, 2019 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 31633169)
This Champagne distribution is done every evening for several years now, and yes, this is a nice touch. But if we want to speak about consistency of product offering, I don’t understand why Champagne is available all day at 2G lounge (in self-service like in the 2E lounges) and not in 2F lounges.

Is it not?

From what I remember, bubbly was always there when I desired it.

mlin32 Oct 16, 2019 1:48 pm

I saw the champagne at the salon 2G last weekend as self-serve, but I'll stick to my pastis, thank you very much :cool:

Goldorak Oct 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk (Post 31633903)
Is it not?

From what I remember, bubbly was always there when I desired it.

In 2F lounges ? no more self-service Champagne for at least 15 years !!

bennos Oct 17, 2019 6:08 am

Regarding the periodic question of entering a lounge in a terminal other than the one where you are departing from, I wonder how the self service scanners handle this. Let's say my inbound flight arrives 2E-L and I am connecting to 2F. Let's assume I manage to clear security in 2E-L and end up near the walkway to 2F. If I then went upstairs to the lounge and scanned my boarding pass, would the self service scanner accept or reject me? (If they accept me, then I need only argue with security personnel, and not the lounge staff.)

For comparison, in AMS the self service scanners will accept me regardless of which lounge I am at and where my flight departs from.

scottie920 Oct 24, 2019 4:01 am

Assuming Virgin Atlantic and GOL Codeshare goes ahead in March 2020. Virgin upper class/business passengers will also be able to use GOL Lounge at Terminal 2 at GRU São Paulo?

Goldorak Oct 24, 2019 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by scottie920 (Post 31661391)
Assuming Virgin Atlantic and GOL Codeshare goes ahead in March 2020. Virgin upper class/business passengers will also be able to use GOL Lounge at Terminal 2 at GRU São Paulo?

You'd better ask the question in the VS forum. But, knowing that DL, who is controlling VS, is going away from GOL and is getting in bed with LATAM, I wouldn't be so sure of that.

canadavid Oct 26, 2019 5:04 am

Originally Posted by bennos (Post 31637713)
Regarding the periodic question of entering a lounge in a terminal other than the one where you are departing from, I wonder how the self service scanners handle this. Let's say my inbound flight arrives 2E-L and I am connecting to 2F. Let's assume I manage to clear security in 2E-L and end up near the walkway to 2F. If I then went upstairs to the lounge and scanned my boarding pass, would the self service scanner accept or reject me? (If they accept me, then I need only argue with security personnel, and not the lounge staff.)

For comparison, in AMS the self service scanners will accept me regardless of which lounge I am at and where my flight departs from.

I did it a couple of times a few months ago when I had 4-5 hours of transit between my flight from Cairo (arriving 2L) and my flight to Nantes (departing from 2F). I had some sleep in the more comfortable lounge of 2L for 2-3 hours and then moved to 2F to have shower as the reservation had to be made with the lounge staff at that time. If you ask, they are telling you are in the wrong lounge and sending you to 2F

ok986 Oct 26, 2019 11:02 pm

I haven't seen an update on the JET Lounge in Vienna: the lounge is now airside, right after the security to the left (not upstairs). The amenities (incl food and drinks) and furniture are the same, but the lounge is slightly smaller (roughly size of the old JET lounge without the annex). On a Sunday at 5:30 am, it was packed with holiday-goers. There's a small smokers' cabin in the lounge (about a size of two phone booths).Bathrooms and baby changing room are within the lounge.

nwflyboy Oct 26, 2019 11:24 pm

SEA, CDG, IST lounge for J pax

AF noob here, sorry in advance if answers to these questions are well known.

We're traveling SEA-CDG-IST in Spring 2020 in J on an award booking. I think we get access to Delta's rather nice lounge in SEA pre-departure. Correct?

SEA-CDG flight is on a 777 with the new J cabin (so hoping there's no aircraft change). Given that, I expect to get some good sleep on the long flight. We have a long layover in Paris (like 11 hours). Since it will be daytime, I'd love to grab a shower upon arrival, then we plan to head into Paris for part of the day, returning to the airport with plenty of time. My understanding is that as transit passengers in Business class we should have access to any(?) AF business class lounge. True? If so, does that mean a shower upon arrival will be an option? Any recommendations for lounge choice for the arrival shower, and then for relaxing for an hour or two before our late departure to IST? The leg from CDG to IST is going to be in a non-lay-flat J seat (I know, just a blocked middle seat, nothing fancy); I will do my best to get some sleep. Our scheduled arrival in IST is 4 am.

Do we have access to any arrivals lounge in IST? I'll probably want a shower there if we can manage it. We will have a few hour layover there in IST before connecting onward (separate ticket) on a domestic flight in Turkey (probably on TK, but not in business class - so I'm assuming we will not have access to any TK lounge).

My understanding is there's an IGA lounge for AF business class passengers in IST. From what I've seen, this IGA lounge looks fairly good, is huge, and has showers...but I don't know if it's available to us as arriving passengers....should it be? I'm guessing no.

I've also heard there is a new SkyTeam lounge opening in IST, but it's not clear to me if this has opened yet (our trip is in March 2020).

Our return will be the same route, again on AF in J: Starting in IST (so I assume we should have access to the IGA lounge, or the ST lounge - if it's open by then). Then we will have another layover in Paris on the way back - this time just 6 hours rather than 11, so I'm thinking maybe we will not try to get into the city. Probably won't need a shower this time (though a massage wouldn't be bad), just the nicest lounge we can access, before the long TATL flight home to SEA.

Have I got anything wrong above? Anything important I'm missing? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

Goldorak Oct 27, 2019 2:12 am

Originally Posted by ok986 (Post 31669960)
I haven't seen an update on the JET Lounge in Vienna: the lounge is now airside, right after the security to the left (not upstairs). The amenities (incl food and drinks) and furniture are the same, but the lounge is slightly smaller (roughly size of the old JET lounge without the annex). On a Sunday at 5:30 am, it was packed with holiday-goers. There's a small smokers' cabin in the lounge (about a size of two phone booths).Bathrooms and baby changing room are within the lounge.

Do you mean an update compared to what’s written in the wiikipost above and linking to this review ?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30424812-post790.html
Because it was already known it was airside. And I visited it also last spring and added an info in the wiki that a new Jet lounge was planned for 2020-2021.
Thanks for your clarifications ;)

Goldorak Oct 27, 2019 2:32 am

Originally Posted by nwflyboy (Post 31669987)
We're traveling SEA-CDG-IST in Spring 2020 in J on an award booking. I think we get access to Delta's rather nice lounge in SEA pre-departure. Correct?

yes, this is correct.

We have a long layover in Paris (like 11 hours). Since it will be daytime, I'd love to grab a shower upon arrival, then we plan to head into Paris for part of the day, returning to the airport with plenty of time. My understanding is that as transit passengers in Business class we should have access to any(?) AF business class lounge. True? If so, does that mean a shower upon arrival will be an option? Any recommendations for lounge choice for the arrival shower, and then for relaxing for an hour or two before our late departure to IST?

In theory as you are in transit, yes you can access the lounge in the concourse from where your flight to IST will depart from, but knowing that you want to go downtown Paris, this is not the best to do. I strongly recommend you to take the bagage claim/exit way, pass immigration and customs and go to the AF arrival lounge that is landside in 2C (it will require you 10-15min walking from customs). There you can have a shower and breakfast before heading to Paris.

Do we have access to any arrivals lounge in IST? I'll probably want a shower there if we can manage it. We will have a few hour layover there in IST before connecting onward (separate ticket) on a domestic flight in Turkey (probably on TK, but not in business class - so I'm assuming we will not have access to any TK lounge).

My understanding is there's an IGA lounge for AF business class passengers in IST. From what I've seen, this IGA lounge looks fairly good, is huge, and has showers...but I don't know if it's available to us as arriving passengers....should it be? I'm guessing no.

I've also heard there is a new SkyTeam lounge opening in IST, but it's not clear to me if this has opened yet (our trip is in March 2020).

The SkyTeam lounge is due to open anytime soon but we don’t have any fresh information to share. Its opening should have happened several months ago already, so a lot of delay. So, next spring, I think it is safe to say that it will be open. At the moment, as you rightly pointed out, AF is using the IGA lounge. Whatever lounge they use, you won’t be able to use it as an arrival lounge. As you connect to TK domestically, you will have to go through immigration and reach the domestic section of the airport. As you fly Y and if you don’t have a status in *A allowing you to have free lounge access, I am sure there are some paid options to access one of the lounges available.

Our return will be the same route, again on AF in J: Starting in IST (so I assume we should have access to the IGA lounge, or the ST lounge - if it's open by then).

Yes, you will have access to whatever lounge they will use at that period, Very likely the ST one.

Then we will have another layover in Paris on the way back - this time just 6 hours rather than 11, so I'm thinking maybe we will not try to get into the city. Probably won't need a shower this time (though a massage wouldn't be bad), just the nicest lounge we can access, before the long TATL flight home to SEA.

6hrs is a bit short indeed and I recommend you to stay at the airport. You will have access to the AF lounge in the concourse your flight to SEA will depart from. All 2E lounges have shower facilities and a Clarins spa offering free 15 min facial massages. The waiting list can be long, so make sure you register as soon as you arrive in the lounge to have a slot at a convenient time for you.

scottie920 Oct 27, 2019 3:52 am

LATAM ?

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 31663029)
You'd better ask the question in the VS forum. But, knowing that DL, who is controlling VS, is going away from GOL and is getting in bed with LATAM, I wouldn't be so sure of that.

I thought American Airways was with LATAM would be strange if delta followed suit. May I ask where you read this?