Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF Premium Economy Lounge Access Rules

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
AF Premium Economy Lounge Access Rules

Okay, so I am flying what AF now calls "Premium Economy" on a
LAX-CDG-CPH / OSL-CDG-LAX routing, but I can't seem to figure out where I do/don't have lounge access. (I have no Skyteam status). Also I have a 5h and 9h layover at CDG respectively, which would make lounge access nice.

I did a search and it seems that AF distinguishes between long haul and short-haul products... And between 2011 and today, the lounge policies for W have changed (some threads say people got access, others got turned away, nothing consistent???)... AF's own page (http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/com..._airfrance.htm) is not much help either (select 'intercontinental' and it doesn't say anything about lounge access in Europe...)

It seems that I should get access to all lounges at CDG (unclear about the arrivals lounge, if I read the website text it seems that not even J pax get access?)

Anyway, this is what I've figured out about lounge access, someone correct me if this seems wrong:

Outbound:
LAX - Yes, $35 (DL/AF lounges only, no KE lounge)
CDG - Yes, Arrivals 2C, no fee (?)
Yes, 2F Lounge, no fee

Return:
OSL - No
CDG - Yes???, some threads report not possible for intercontinental return

Last edited by no2chem; Nov 5, 2014 at 1:30 am
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by no2chem
Okay, so I am flying what AF now calls "Premium Economy" on a
LAX-CDG-CPH / OSL-CDG-LAX routing, but I can't seem to figure out where I do/don't have lounge access. (I have no Skyteam status).

I did a search and it seems that AF distinguishes between long haul and short-haul products... And between 2011 and today, the lounge policies for W have changed (some threads say people got access, others got turned away, nothing consistent???)... AF's own page (http://www.airfrance.co.uk/GB/en/com..._airfrance.htm) is not much help either (select 'intercontinental' and it doesn't say anything about lounge access in Europe...)

It seems that I should get access to all lounges at CDG (unclear about the arrivals lounge, if I read the website text it seems that not even J pax get access?)

Anyway, this is what I've figured out about lounge access, someone correct me if this seems wrong:

Outbound:
CDG - Yes, Arrivals 2C, no fee (?)
Yes, 2F Lounge, no fee

Return:
OSL - No
CDG - Yes???, some threads report not possible for intercontinental return
It does seem that AF policy keeps changing.

if we are to trust the new website (that's a big if), then access to the arrival lounge must be paid 35/50 by ANY pax. And that is only granted to F pax and FB Elite+ in any class. Hence, a J pax who is not FB E+ would not even have the right to pay 50 when he lands in the morning. But as you are not FB E+, you cannot get access to the arrival lounge.

My reading of the AF website is somewhat different from yours. You only get access in AMS or CDG (for free) if you fly to a European destination. If I were to correct your text above, I would guess:

Outbound:
CDG - No, Arrivals 2C, even with fee (compulsory for accepted pax)
Yes, 2F Lounge, no fee

Return:
OSL - No
CDG - No

Also note that PE in Europe has been announced to be discontinued by year-end.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 2:32 am

Programs: FB&TK Gold
Originally Posted by brunos
It does seem that AF policy keeps changing.

if we are to trust the new website (that's a big if), then access to the arrival lounge must be paid 35/50 by ANY pax. And that is only granted to F pax and FB Elite+ in any class. Hence, a J pax who is not FB E+ would not even have the right to pay 50 when he lands in the morning. But as you are not FB E+, you cannot get access to the arrival lounge.
Well, there might be a discrepancy between the English and French versions.
In French, the web site says that the lounge is available whatever the cabin, for a 35/50 € fee and "offert" to F and FB E+.
If by "offert" they mean available and not free, this is a very bad wording.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sebach
Well, there might be a discrepancy between the English and French versions.
In French, the web site says that the lounge is available whatever the cabin, for a 35/50 € fee and "offert" to F and FB E+.
If by "offert" they mean available and not free, this is a very bad wording.
This is indeed a very different wording.
In French, I read it as saying that pax traveling in any class can access the lounge with a fee and that it is free for F and FB E+:
" Découvrez le salon Arrivée de l'aéroport Paris-Charles de Gaulle, situé au terminal 2C : douche, buffet et boissons, ordinateurs ŕ disposition… Quelle que soit votre cabine de voyage, vous pourrez vous y détendre et vous rafraîchir aprčs votre vol ou lors de votre correspondance. Le tarif d'entrée est de 35 € ou 50 €* selon l’horaire, sous réserve de places disponibles.

* Le tarif est de 50 € entre 5 h et 10 h et de 35 € ŕ compter de 10 h.
L'accčs au salon Arrivée est offert aux passagers de la cabine La Premičre et aux membres Flying Blue Elite Plus. "

In English, the access is restricted to F pax and FB E+, but no mention that it is free for them:
" Discover the Arrivals lounge at Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport, located in Terminal 2C. The lounge offers showers, a buffet and beverages, as well as computer access. Whatever your cabin, you can relax and refresh after your flight or during your connection. The access fee for this lounge is €35 or €50* according to the time of day, subject to availability.

* Rate is €50 between 5:00 AM and 10:00 AM, and €35 after 10:00 AM.
Access to the Arrivals lounge is available for travelers in the La Premičre cabin, and for Flying Blue Elite Plus members. "

I bet that "offert" means "ouvert".
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
As FB Plat and flying business class, I've never paid for access to the arrivals lounge.

But I can't really help the OP other than to say you will either get lounge access or you won't.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
As FB Plat and flying business class, I've never paid for access to the arrivals lounge.

But I can't really help the OP other than to say you will either get lounge access or you won't.
... and free or not

If the website is correct, the rules have clearly recently changed.

As a FB elite+, you would still get access (for free in French and for a fee in English). But a J pax without FB Gold/Plat status would not get access according to English and would for a fee according to French. Could some of our posters closer to AFKL or to a TA portal confirm?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I would guess:

Outbound:
CDG - No, Arrivals 2C, even with fee (compulsory for accepted pax)
Yes, 2F Lounge, no fee

Return:
OSL - No
CDG - No

Also note that PE in Europe has been announced to be discontinued by year-end.
My understanding is the same as you and I would mention the same proviso about it only be valid if you fly while European PE is still on. Otherwise, it should make it much easier with "no's" everywhere except LAX against payment.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by orbitmic
My understanding is the same as you and I would mention the same proviso about it only be valid if you fly while European PE is still on. Otherwise, it should make it much easier with "no's" everywhere except LAX against payment.
I will be flying in Dec, so it will the last few days of Europe PE...
I guess maybe I'm in this transition period which is why the rules are so confusing!!!

If the PE rules are that when transiting through CDG on a intra-europe flight, you get lounge access, why would the arrivals lounge be excluded?

Also, if I have access to 2F lounge, should I even bother with arrivals lounge? (I'll be stuck in CDG for 5h) Does it have better food/shower or something?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Just go for it......the Dragons can only say no
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
... and free or not

If the website is correct, the rules have clearly recently changed.

As a FB elite+, you would still get access (for free in French and for a fee in English). But a J pax without FB Gold/Plat status would not get access according to English and would for a fee according to French. Could some of our posters closer to AFKL or to a TA portal confirm?
I'm pretty sure this is a mistake. J class pax have access for free to the arrival lounge even if not Skyteam elite+. The website is unfortunately full of mistakes.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by no2chem
If the PE rules are that when transiting through CDG on a intra-europe flight, you get lounge access, why would the arrivals lounge be excluded?
You do not have access "when transiting through CDG on a intra-Europe flight", you do have access "before boarding a European Premium economy flight departing from CDG or AMS". Your arrival from long haul PE is entirely irrelevant and does not grant you lounge access hence the exclusion from the arrivals lounge.

Additionally, the arrivals lounge is entirely separate from other lounges and does not follow normal skyteam access rules. So for instance, you cannot access it if you are an FB platinum or ST elite plus member arriving from a short haul flight, etc. It is exclusively reserved for passengers arriving from a long haul AF flight in J or P (if they are silly enough to go there rather than the P lounge!) and FB Gold and Platinum arriving from a long haul AF flight in any class of travel.

That said, personally and to answer your other question, if I was transiting through CDG 2E-2F myself as eligible for the arrivals lounge, I'd just go to the 2F lounge anyway instead! There is hardly anything special about the arrivals lounge and 2F is just fine. You still get showers, reading material, internet access, and food and drink, and the arrivals lounge is very inconveniently located for AF flights.

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 7, 2014 at 1:51 am
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do not have access "when transiting through CDG on a intra-Europe flight", you do have access "before boarding a European Premium economy flight departing from CDG or AMS". Your arrival from long haul PE is entirely irrelevant and does not grant you lounge access hence the exclusion from the arrivals lounge.
The way I remember the rules is to think what the PE product really is and applying then the normal rules that lounge access is on departure: PE within Europe is really "Business minus" (and therefore lounge access on departure) whereas PE long-haul is "Economy Plus" (and therefore no lounge access on departure).
Old Nov 7, 2014, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I'm pretty sure this is a mistake. J class pax have access for free to the arrival lounge even if not Skyteam elite+. The website is unfortunately full of mistakes.
But the text has completely changed. It was quite different two months ago when I checked for a local friend and it did state that J pax had access. There was never mention of a fee before.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by NickB
The way I remember the rules is to think what the PE product really is and applying then the normal rules that lounge access is on departure: PE within Europe is really "Business minus" (and therefore lounge access on departure) whereas PE long-haul is "Economy Plus" (and therefore no lounge access on departure).
Very good summary indeed! Although the caveat is if I remember, European PE doesn't get lounge access from outstations which makes things even more confusing!!

Last edited by orbitmic; Nov 7, 2014 at 9:57 am
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very good summary indeed! Although the caveat is if I remember, European PE doesn't get lounge access from out stations which made things even more confusing!
You are correct and my way of remembering it would have led me in a wrong direction and forget that it was indeed limited to CDG/AMS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.