Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lab'line for the Future : Innovation piloted between TLS and ORY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
Take something like the London living wage campaign, for instance. Now, there is something to be said for the view that the legal minimum wage should be higher than it actually is in the UK and should possibly be geographically variable to take into account significant local variations. But if it is not for whatever reason, does that mean that companies should always pay the lowest possible market rate for wages and that it is "offensive" for a company to pay a living wage higher than the legal and market minima to the employees at the bottom of its pay scales?

I would also take issue with the view that a company making these kind of choices are making them on behalf of its customers. If there is a market, customers are free to go elsewhere if they want to. I would certainly never regard the choices of any kind which are made by companies whose goods or products I consume as being made on my behalf. It is their choices, not mine but, by the same token, it is also theirs to make, not mine and I do not consider myself as having any particular entitlement to tell the company what to do (although I do have a right not to use their products if they make choices that, for one reason or another, I object to).
On the first point, precisely, this is not the same process as the living wage. When we discussed the adoption of living wages where I work, we just made the decision to bear this extra cost for social and moral reasons, we did not increase fees by £200 to have someone else pay for it directly.

Of course you could argue it is a moot point as ultimately the company will need to get the money somewhere to be profitable but to me, it is entirely different from earmarked charges which is what I understand (not just from olivedel's description but also from separate discussion) is being considered.

So to me a much better parallel would be those hotels which charge a charity fee of $ x /night for a charity of their choice. When it happens I always ask if the hotel is matching the donation. If yes (it happens) I am happy to pay. If not (which happens more frequently) I refuse it because I consider that it is not the hotel's place to decide how much I should give to which charity. And yes I do take offence in the fact that they then take full credit for contributions which they have not made either fully or partly.

As for the question of market and choice it is in effect an empirical question. It is one thing to differentiate products (eg pay the same for your basic flight "or" more to pollute less as you would in Mexico when choosing between the yellow and green cabs. It would be different to not have any choice on some routes on which a de facto monopoly exists and there are lots of them. I know on which flights I'd bet af will fly those (after the first pr stunt on more prominent routes).
Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Of course you could argue it is a moot point as ultimately the company will need to get the money somewhere to be profitable
You read my mind!
To me, it is a difference of form rather than of substance. Whether you do it one way of the other, it is still the same money coming from the same pockets and going to the same ones and those who decide what should be done and still are the same people.

Ultimately, it seems to me that the only difference is the spin that is put on it. If what you find annoying is that spin, then I think that we agree. But, on balance, I think I prefer a positive action spun unpleasantly than no action at all.

So to me a much better parallel would be those hotels which charge a charity fee of $ x /night for a charity of their choice. When it happens I always ask if the hotel is matching the donation. If yes (it happens) I am happy to pay.
I must confess to never having come across any hotel that has a compulsory donation to a charity. If I came across that, I would probably react to it in the same way as I think of "fuel surcharges" by airlines, viz. mildly annoyed at the spin but ultimately treating it as nothing other than part of the price.

If you mean optional donations, then I personally systematically ignore (on the principle similar to yours that, if I am giving to charity, I want to choose my own charities) but I do not think that I find that offensive. This is nudge stuff, isn't it? I can't see anything fundamentally wrong in nudging people towards donating to certain charities; certainly less objectionable than chugging.

What I fail to understand here, however, is that I have not seen any suggestion that they will be a specific surcharge. whether optional or compulsory, for those "lab'line" flights. To me, therefore, it looks pretty much like the living wage initiative, except for the publicity and spinning stuff.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
You read my mind!
To me, it is a difference of form rather than of substance. Whether you do it one way of the other, it is still the same money coming from the same pockets and going to the same ones and those who decide what should be done and still are the same people.

Ultimately, it seems to me that the only difference is the spin that is put on it. If what you find annoying is that spin, then I think that we agree. But, on balance, I think I prefer a positive action spun unpleasantly than no action at all.

I must confess to never having come across any hotel that has a compulsory donation to a charity. If I came across that, I would probably react to it in the same way as I think of "fuel surcharges" by airlines, viz. mildly annoyed at the spin but ultimately treating it as nothing other than part of the price.

If you mean optional donations, then I personally systematically ignore (on the principle similar to yours that, if I am giving to charity, I want to choose my own charities) but I do not think that I find that offensive. This is nudge stuff, isn't it? I can't see anything fundamentally wrong in nudging people towards donating to certain charities; certainly less objectionable than chugging.

What I fail to understand here, however, is that I have not seen any suggestion that they will be a specific surcharge. whether optional or compulsory, for those "lab'line" flights. To me, therefore, it looks pretty much like the living wage initiative, except for the publicity and spinning stuff.
The ones I am mentioning are definitely not mere nudging, because nudging would be merely based on a mixture of alerting and priming (a bit like BA telling you about children in need on every flight) while the ones I have in mind work on "implicit coercion" by making it "opt out". In other words, while not compulsory, they automatically put the charge on your bill and you need to explicitly refuse it if you do not want to donate (more like the so called "optional service charges" in London restaurants I guess). But of course, that part of the comparison would admittedly not be relevant here.

For the rest, indeed, I agree we are probably not that far off and it is indeed largely the PR that annoys me. As for the "related charge" that was what I heard from some AF people, along the same lines that olivedel described (AF can't and won't pay for any of the extra cost so increase the fares for those flights based on the fact that there is a cost involved in doing the right thing and the pax will pay for it). Pragmatically, apart from anything else, I share Goldorak's view that this is at the very least a mistaken calculation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.