Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AF proudly serving INSTANT COFFEE in Biz (Affaires)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL/UA/AA/BA
AF proudly serving INSTANT COFFEE in Biz (Affaires)

Sit in AF business or EU first class, and you get freeze-dried instant coffee. For a country that prides itself on gastronomy, its a disgrace. Sure make some excuse that you SOMETIMES get Nespresso from a never cleaned machine on overseas flights, whatever...

While the rest of the world enjoys better coffee in coach, and every crummy US airline even has real brewed coffee, in every class of service.

So even Ryanair serves better coffee than AF now...
http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...to-all-flights

Will anyone in this forum defend the freeze-dried coffee, or even claim to be indifferent? Or tell me I'm being petty? And go a step further, I think their staff (caffeine, safety..) deserves better.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:03 am

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Originally Posted by rasmcasm
Sit in AF business or EU first class, and you get freeze-dried instant coffee. For a country that prides itself on gastronomy, its a disgrace. Sure make some excuse that you SOMETIMES get Nespresso from a never cleaned machine on overseas flights, whatever...

While the rest of the world enjoys better coffee in coach, and every crummy US airline even has real brewed coffee, in every class of service.

So even Ryanair serves better coffee than AF now...
http://www.businesstraveller.com/new...to-all-flights

Will anyone in this forum defend the freeze-dried coffee, or even claim to be indifferent? Or tell me I'm being petty? And go a step further, I think their staff (caffeine, safety..) deserves better.
Well if thats your only complaint then well done AF. I must say I do love a nice mug of coffee in a morning but after that there are plenty of other choices. How about champagne? As far as I know they don't do that on Ryanair, how can people fly without it?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I've had perfectly good coffee on my Alitalia flights, not to mention KLM, which serves an acceptable cup in both classes. Often coffee in the air is pretty disastrous, such as on the American carriers where it has sometimes tasted and smelled like stewed dogs hair to me. As for Ryanair, coffee in high street UK has improved greatly since people began taking their cheap flights a couple decades ago.

I do not find the coffee in France the best that there is at any level, generally. A month ago, in SWISS First, I was served that Nescafé crap, which really surprised me for 'first' class. In the end, I dont look to the coffee on a flight as being a potential highlight in any way (although the coffee service in Austrian Airlines Grand Class is definitely worth trying once). Remember, coffee is apparently not good for the blood pressure in the air.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Concerto
I've had perfectly good coffee on my Alitalia flights
Alitalia also use instant coffee on their European flights. I believe it is even the same (major) brand as AF. BA also serve instant (some "eco friendly" unknown brand I think). I find both disgusting if you ask me. KLM serves American style coffee (which I also dislike but less)and I find the coffee on US airlines domestics disgusting as a rule. Some other airlines serve cafetiere (better - example QF) or espresso (even better! - example A3)

Last edited by orbitmic; Oct 5, 2014 at 3:45 am
Old Oct 5, 2014, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What is a real disgrace is exchanging milk for "non-dairy creamer".

Whoever came up with that should be shot.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Alitalia also use instant coffee on their European flights. I believe it is even the same (major) brand as AF. BA also serve instant (some "eco friendly" unknown brand I think). I find both disgusting if you ask me. KLM serves American style coffee (which I also dislike but less)and I find the coffee on US airlines domestics disgusting as a rule. Some other airlines serve cafetiere (better - example QF)
+1.

Apart from Espresso in long-haul on a number of carriers, I find airline coffee universally oscillating between unpleasant and revolting, with only marginal differences between freeze-dried and cafetiere-style versions.

(even better! - example A3)
I did not know that A3 served Espresso. Good to know!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:12 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat

Will anyone in this forum defend the freeze-dried coffee, or even claim to be indifferent?
I will. I prefer freeze-dried instant coffee and find the brewed stuff gives me a headache.

On a more serious note, if that's all you have to worry about..........pick up a newspaper or watch the TV news. You'll find your worries about AF coffee will suddenly retreat into insignificance where they should remain.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:43 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
I guess the OP hasn't been been on long haul J with AF? There they serve espresso in real espresso cups. Okay usually you have to go to the pantry to get it. But it's amongst the best J coffee out there!
Old Oct 5, 2014, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by NickB
+1.

Apart from Espresso in long-haul on a number of carriers, I find airline coffee universally oscillating between unpleasant and revolting, with only marginal differences between freeze-dried and cafetiere-style versions.

I did not know that A3 served Espresso. Good to know!
I agree with your unpleasant - revolting scale, that pretty much sums it up!! ^ Indeed, while I love coffee, I can't remember when is the last time I ordered one on AF, BA, LH or any major US airline domestic (actually, I did on US on a DCA-LGA flight but on a tonne of ice cubes!)

And indeed A3 serves espresso in European C (which is only one of the many good things I have to say about A3 C - much better than AF, BA et al if you ask me!). I think TK does too but to be honest when I fly with them I enjoy Turkish coffee instead, which whilst an almost entirely different drink one could argue, is quite a pleasurable one too, especially with a lukum or two
Old Oct 5, 2014, 9:33 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Within Europe I never drink coffee on board any more. I much more prefer to indulge at the lounge. Better coffee and including proper milk.

By the way if you like fresh milk with your coffee: KLM actually does serve their coffee with fresh milk when asked (even in economy). By default you'll get the powered c̶r̶a̶p̶ stuff, which tastes plain horrible.

Originally Posted by orbitmic
And indeed A3 serves espresso in European C (which is only one of the many good things I have to say about A3 C - much better than AF, BA et al if you ask me!). I think TK does too but to be honest when I fly with them I enjoy Turkish coffee instead, which whilst an almost entirely different drink one could argue, is quite a pleasurable one too, especially with a lukum or two
With that logic you could also opt for Greek coffee on A3, which is very similar to Turkish coffee. Though I personally prefer a good espresso any day

Slightly off-topic: since A3 will now offer free upgrade certificates to their elites, more and more people will sample their C product. Which means more free advertising, like (for example) your post. I'd guess that giving free upgrades to elites may actually eventually boost their Business class sales. Smart move
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Zembla
I guess the OP hasn't been been on long haul J with AF?
They've been on EU First class
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
They've been on EU First class
I just wonder what kind of coffee was served in the time machine...
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NickB
I just wonder what kind of coffee was served in the time machine...
Was there a time when AF ran an intra-EU "F" service and the EU existed?

My guess is no.

... unless our OP is very cleverly and obliquely talking about AF service to one of the départements et territoires d'outre-mer?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Was there a time when AF ran an intra-EU "F" service and the EU existed?

My guess is no.
Well, you know, with the latest generation of time machines with the chronological mashup function....
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by Xandrios
By the way if you like fresh milk with your coffee: KLM actually does serve their coffee with fresh milk when asked (even in economy). By default you'll get the powered c̶r̶a̶p̶ stuff, which tastes plain horrible.
I can confirm that. I always asked for liquid milk (I dont fly KLM anymore) and would get a few drops of real milk, also in Y.
Non dairy coffee creamer is a disgrace to mankind. If it really has to be powder form, then get lactose free milk powder. Not that chemical .....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.