Community
Wiki Posts
Search

September 2014 Air France Pilot Strike? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
18.5% of pilots have declared themselves strikers Friday evening according to Le Figaro.

So, expect quite some disruptions, but, Air France will NOT shut down for the week.

Also, there are reports of a growing number of pilots against this (specific) industrial action.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2014...reve-lundi.php
Old Sep 12, 2014, 7:14 pm

So,

We have reached 48hs prior to September 15th 5 am strike start. Does Air France have any news for us?

Best regards and good luck for all.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 12:32 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ModernnomadPT
I find it pathetic that AF will only have an idea of the disruption it will suffer on a potential 7-day strike hours before it starts. Never mind striking (an inconvenient yet legal right), it makes me angry that everyone must bow down to the illuminated, superior minds of the employees and let them act as they wish.
Let's be careful here. I certainly hope your holiday plans are not disrupted, and I also hope that the pilots unions and Air France can come to resolution beforehand so the strike is unnecessary.

That being said, employees have a right to strike for a very good reason--as a bargaining chip against their employers. Otherwise, employers can unilaterally do whatever they want, something that has never wound up being good for employees in the history of the world. While the business (air travel) is disrupted, let's not attack employees for the only big bargaining chip at their disposal. It sucks, but it is the way socialized capitalism must work between employees and employers--or else employers always win.

I also fly AF LAX-CDG on Oct. 1, so I am hopeful that things settle down and that the strike doesn't materialize (which doesn't seem likely now) or is ended earlier or impacts people as little as possible...and that no prolonged strike threatens my flight. But if it does, AF will do its best to find me alternative transport. That AF cannot know for sure exactly WHO is striking until 48 hours prior to the announced strike suggests that it must be pretty tricky for AF to respond until then--and not too easy for a company with an operation having that many moving parts to figure out how to make things work in less than 24-48 hours. I think you are being awfully harsh under the circumstances. The world is a big place, and the luxuries we get to enjoy depend on many others--including airline employees.

No one has to bow down to anyone. While your holiday and my business trip are in jeopardy, the livelihoods and futures of Air France pilots are in question for them, too. As important as your holiday and my business trip are, I know that you will eventually reach your destination and I will always be able to reschedule if necessary. We need to keep things in perspective.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:14 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by crmaximo
We have reached 48hs prior to September 15th 5 am strike start. Does Air France have any news for us?
I doubt it, creating a new planning isn't something you do in a few hours for such a big airline. I reckon things for Monday should become clear by tomorrow morning.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:16 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Exclamation Announcement of level of Disruption

Air France have announced this morning that as of 5am Monday they will be cancelling 1 flight in 2, i.e. 50% of flights will be maintained.

No breakdown yet between short/long haul.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/201...deux-lundi.php

P.S.Given that this thread should be used to provide information to those concerned/affected by the strike, how about we move conversations on the ethics of industrial action and general French cliches to another thread
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
EZY is adding flights between Paris and TLS/NCE:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-eco/201...00-billets.php
Some flights still have availability; that could help.

Some articles also suggest that HOP pilots are not in favor of striking, that could help too.
One of my relation said that Longhaul unionized pilots were tempted not to strike as they are not directly concerned. On the other hand, they wish to show that no important decision at AF can go through without pilots agreement; and if the strike is poorly followed, it would send a message.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:49 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jsfr
P.S.Given that this thread should be used to provide information to those concerned/affected by the strike, how about we move conversations on the ethics of industrial action and general French cliches to another thread
+1. Please let's keep this thread to direct, practical information.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:25 am

After years of lurking, first time post. I am in need of the collective wisdom please...

I cashed out UA FF miles for a European vacation. The FF ticket starts on Sept 17th and is DEN-IAH-FRA, the last segment on LH, arriving the 18th (assuming *that* strike action doesn't come into play!)

But to get from FRA-CDG, I found a cheap (USD120) Air France round trip (Oct 4th for the return). With the AF strike action possibility, I have bought a train ticket for FRA to Paris for Sept 18. Normally, I believe that if I do not use that first AF ticket on the 18th, then my return leg on the 4th will be invalid (is that correct?)

Given circumstances, is there any precedent that AF would let me drop that first leg but still use the return leg, say by converting the booking into a one way?

Any words of advice would be appreciated--thanks! B

Last edited by DrOFlyGeek; Sep 13, 2014 at 9:26 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:43 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by bennos
+1. Please let's keep this thread to direct, practical information.
Under way

New thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...es-france.html

Last edited by JOUY31; Sep 13, 2014 at 9:51 am
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Thanks!

AF have announced they will operate 40% of flights on Monday. I randomly checked some routes but didn't see any cancelations recorded yet.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bennos
Thanks!

AF have announced they will operate 40% of flights on Monday. I randomly checked some routes but didn't see any cancelations recorded yet.
They now say they'll post tonight:

Our programme will be updated between Saturday evening, September 13th and Sunday, September 14th.
Last minute disturbances are not excluded.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Expect some disruption on CDG YUL. Corsair will perform flights on behalf of Air France on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:01 pm

Programs: EBG, M&M SEN, FB Gold
Pilot strike as of Monday and a week forward

Just received this press release from AF:

Due to the call for strike action by several pilot unions, from September 15 to 22, we expect important disruptions in our flights schedule as of this Monday, September 15, 2014.

Please note that Air France flights operated by other airlines, including HOP, KLM and Delta, are maintained.

The application of the Diard law will allow us to have a more accurate estimation of the number of pilots declaring themselves on strike action 48 hours in advance.

Our flight schedule will be adapted accordingly and published at latest 24 hours ahead of departure. If you have left us your personal contact, we will be able to advise you by SMS or E mail.

On September 15th, we expect to operate 40% of our flights. Our programme will be updated between Saturday evening, September 13th and Sunday, September 14th.
Last minute disturbances are not excluded.

Our teams are fully mobilized and make their utmost to assist you and minimize the impact of this industrial action on your travel plans.

If you are travelling on a flight operated by Air France, we propose you to modify your departure to avoid the period from September 15th to 22nd 2014, with the following conditions:

- You may anticipate your trip before September 15th, 2014 or postpone it between September 23rd and 30th, 2014 included, at no extra cost in the same cabin, on this website, in the "Review / modify your reservations" section, on our mobile sites or from your travel agent.

- To postpone your trip beyond September 30th, 2014, to change your origin or destination or if you no longer wish to travel, you can benefit of non-refundable voucher valid one year on Air France or KLM. In this case, please contact your usual travel agent.

- If your flight is cancelled or delayed by more than 5 hours, you can also request the refund of your ticket. For this option, we invite you to visit our "Practical information" page below, or contact your usual travel agency.

Practical information:
To allow us to inform you personally in real time of any changes on your flight, please check that you have updated your personal contact details (mobile telephone and/or email address) in your reservation file or your Flying Blue profile.
You can consult and update this information at any time on this website in the "Consult/modify my bookings" section and on our mobile sites.

Before go you to the airport, it is recommended to verify the informations on flights operated, available in real time on this site, it the "Flight schedules" and on our mobile sites.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this strike action may cause you.

Direct Link: http://www.airfrance.dk/DK/en/local/...air-france.htm

Br,
Henrik Olsen
Old Sep 13, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I'm returning from BCN monday evening and I have received SMS and e-mail tonight informing me that my flight will be operated by Europe Airpost. No change of time. So not too bad ^
Old Sep 13, 2014, 4:31 pm

To whichever moderator moved my comment: It was a direct response to a post that was left in this thread.

It makes sense to either move both posts or to restore mine, as it makes no sense to move part of the conversation. Either the original point is relevant to this thread, in which case so is a response, or else neither is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.