Wiki Posts
Search

Interline baggage AF to UA?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2014, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
Interline baggage AF to UA?

Due to scheduling issues, I need to purchase CDG-FRA on AF and FRA-SFO on UA as two separate tickets. Can I get AF to send my bags all the way through from CDG or do I have to reclaim them at FRA?
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You should always assume that bags will not be interlined on separate tickets - particularly onto a competing, non-partner airline - and plan accordingly.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ervations.html
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
AF has an interline agreement with UA, but I fully agree with Irishguy28: be prepared for your bags not being checked through and may be you'll have a nice surprise.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Goldorak
AF has an interline agreement with UA, but I fully agree with Irishguy28: be prepared for your bags not being checked through and may be you'll have a nice surprise.
+1
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: FB LTPE, BAEC GGL, EK Blue, SK Gold, Marriott Amb+LTT, IHG Diamond Amb, Accorhotels Silver
Please let us know what the outcome of that will be.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
Due to scheduling issues, I need to purchase CDG-FRA on AF and FRA-SFO on UA as two separate tickets. Can I get AF to send my bags all the way through from CDG or do I have to reclaim them at FRA?
It would be much better to buy CDG-FRA on LH as you would be sure to get interlining.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
Did you buy the tickets and if so, could you check your bag through?
Old Sep 12, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Flew ATH-CDG-SFO on AF and SFO-LAX on UA couple weeks ago. Tried to get the baggage checked all the way to LAX at ATH but the agent wasn't able to do it. A supervisor tried as well but was unsuccessful.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Flew ATH-CDG-SFO on AF and SFO-LAX on UA couple weeks ago. Tried to get the baggage checked all the way to LAX at ATH but the agent wasn't able to do it. A supervisor tried as well but was unsuccessful.
Well this one is obvious because when you arrive into the US you must pick up your luggage, take it through customs and then re-check it. They might have been able to issue the luggage tag up to LAX but you wiuld still have had to re-check in SFO.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 1:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is a significant difference between bags which are interlined intl-domestic in the USA and bags which are checked back in. AF absolutely should have checked OP's bags through to LAX and some technical glitch must have prevented that.

The bags would still have been processed by CBP at SFO and then simply dropped with UA after CBP. No waiting, no muss, no fuss, no bag charges (if applicable) and so on.

If the bags are not checked through to LAX, the physical steps are the same, but you must wait at UA and have UA actually check your bags and pay any fees which may be owed. This can matter because the US domestic legacy carriers do not provide free bags as a matter of course. If your status on the international segment got you an extra allowance, UA won't collect in the former, but will in the latter.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
There is a significant difference between bags which are interlined intl-domestic in the USA and bags which are checked back in. AF absolutely should have checked OP's bags through to LAX and some technical glitch must have prevented that.

The bags would still have been processed by CBP at SFO and then simply dropped with UA after CBP. No waiting, no muss, no fuss, no bag charges (if applicable) and so on.

If the bags are not checked through to LAX, the physical steps are the same, but you must wait at UA and have UA actually check your bags and pay any fees which may be owed. This can matter because the US domestic legacy carriers do not provide free bags as a matter of course. If your status on the international segment got you an extra allowance, UA won't collect in the former, but will in the latter.
Let's assume that ATH-CDG-SFO and SFO-LAX are on two different tickets, which is likely to be the case as I can hardly see AF selling a ATH-CDG-SFO-LAX with no stopover in SFO.
Why would AF check the bags through? As you mention, the bag allowance is probably lesser on UA and a charge applies.
I do understand that the situation is quite different if on the same ticket, but if on two different tickets. why did you say " AF absolutely should have checked OP's bags through to LAX and some technical glitch must have prevented that."?
This is a real question, as I usually find your posts quite informative.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by af fp
Well this one is obvious because when you arrive into the US you must pick up your luggage, take it through customs and then re-check it. They might have been able to issue the luggage tag up to LAX but you wiuld still have had to re-check in SFO.
I know I have to pick up my luggage at SFO for customs regardless. But if AF was able to issue the luggage tag to LAX then I wouldn't need to drag my luggage from the international terminal to UA's terminal. Like Often1 mentioned no waiting and no messing around at UA's checkin counter.

Last edited by LAX/HKG; Sep 13, 2014 at 2:57 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:47 am

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion, UA 1MM
since this thread is quite old, does anyone know interline baggage policy for a AF BOD-CDG flight connecting to a UA CDG-EWR flight on separate PNRs?

Any chance of interlining my luggage?
Old Jun 13, 2019, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AF will not check across separate tickets outside AF and ST. UA is in *A, so this is a no go. You will need to collect your luggage at CDG and lug it to UA to check it in.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by saccoNY

Any chance of interlining my luggage?
No chance whatsoever.
Goldorak likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.