Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

New "La Première Suite" will be revealed to the public on May 7th, 2014 [merged]

New "La Première Suite" will be revealed to the public on May 7th, 2014 [merged]

Old May 7, 14, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
olivedel you mention 5m2 of space but the af release mentions 3m2 and it seems more consistent with the other measurement, can we assume 5 is just a typo?
Old May 7, 14, 9:01 am

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
Yes I personally found recent collections a bit dated compared to some of the other major French Maisons.
So you must not know a lot about fashion and luxury industry
Old May 7, 14, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by brunos View Post
Furthermore, this mini-cabin of a single row feels claustrophobic.
OK, I accept that you feel claustrophobic and I hope you can accept that I have the opposite feeling. Thus we cancel each others opinion out. You can't please everyone.

I'd rather have this single row available than no first class at all.
Old May 7, 14, 9:29 am

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
From the kit and olivedel's pics I am still not sure how the curtains will work. Will they be mounted to the ceiling? How will you open the luggage bins? Or am I missing something?
Old May 7, 14, 9:33 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I am actually surprised that it is not more revolutionary than that. In many respects it is very similar to the current seat.

But I like it, definitely. Especially the colours, very elegant. Let's see what the curtain thing feels like when one is sitting in those seats

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Are you talking about CDG P lounge ? If yes, I have never seen such horrible thing
Paris is great, but how do you like the lounge offering when flying in Premiere from say Tokyo or JFK or Dubai?

I have the feeling we have not flown the same airline. Never had this kind of issue in P (nor in J).
Only had it on AF. Repeatedly.

My confusion level is increasing...
CDG ground service is astonishing. And it's not bad at all in outstations (at least the ones I tried).
What is the special treatment for P passengers at outstations? I appreciate the PA that fast tracks Premiere passengers through immigration at JFK (do they still have that?), but other than that?

The main room for improvement in outstations is the lounge experience.
Just what I said
Old May 7, 14, 11:11 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Satie View Post
So you must not know a lot about fashion and luxury industry
Oh, not just fashion and the luxury industry, I am more generally a very ignorant person.
Old May 7, 14, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
I just saw this article from La Tribune about the new P seat presented today in PVG. 2 interesting information :
- LAX, IAD and JFK represent 1/3 of AF P traffic (no doubt now that they need to retrofit the A388 fleet)
- AF P traffic to/from China has increased of 50% since the beginning of the year.
http://www.latribune.fr/entreprises-...-a-etihad.html
Old May 7, 14, 4:00 pm
Formerly known as cedricgerald

Oh, not just fashion and the luxury industry, I am more generally a very ignorant person.
+++1
Very funny
The less we have the more we show, the opposite is also true

Givenchy, already outdated by the time of my grandmother.

New P is nice but miles away from Ethiad.
Seems that AF is always few/some years late

Don't like single row cabin.
Old May 7, 14, 4:46 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
olivedel you mention 5m2 of space but the af release mentions 3m2 and it seems more consistent with the other measurement, can we assume 5 is just a typo?
No, I wrote 5m3 (as cubical meters), and it is not a typo
Old May 7, 14, 5:18 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by olivedel View Post
No, I wrote 5m3 (as cubical meters), and it is not a typo
Ouch, then quite a bit less than 3m2 - more like 2.5, which suggests that it is then the AF press kit which has a typo!
Old May 7, 14, 7:03 pm
Formerly known as cedricgerald

Ouch, then quite a bit less than 3m2 - more like 2.5, which suggests that it is then the AF press kit which has a typo!
Why speaking in cbm instead than sqm ?
Also does the "suite" 2 m long and 1 m wide ? So 2 sqm ?
Why AF is always a follower and can never be the first to offer a good new product / experience. ?
As already said, curtaines doesn't close perfectly.
Assume the curtains are manual and not electric one ?
Why they cut by 2 the number of seats ? F was rarely more than half ? I really don't understand why...hihihi.
Why AF has the most expensive F with IMHO "not the best" service & product ?
Does AF topex sincerely proud of their new F ?
Even worst if they hit "first class seat" on google images and view what their competitors are doing believe they'll still be very proud of their new F...
Beside believe TAM (who will stop F) , any other airline offer a single row in F ?
In few words : AF you're as usual....
Old May 7, 14, 7:36 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: FB LTPE+C2000, EK Gold, TK *S, SPG PP+Amb+LTPP, IHG Platinum, Accorhotels Gold
Last, but not least: the new cabin exploration

Dear FTers,

That would be my last post with exclusive content about the new cabins that AF will deploy on 44 of their 777s in the next few years.
All my pictures are assembled in an album.
Here are my impressions, cabin by cabin:

Economy
The new seat is really comfortable, the pitch seems bigger as long as the width. I am a big fan if the new IFE (the only thing really noticeable, besides the design) and the fact that there will be 2 power outlets available by row of 3 seats (bulkhead seats will have one outlet for each seat). No revolution but good improvements.

Premium Economy
I think the comfort of that cabin is really in debate on FlyerTalk. To be sure, I wanted to try that seat again and check again its comfort after being modified.
First, the general design does not change.
They adapted:
  • The headrest: it can now be adjusted by pulling it forward. I don't really understand how it improves comfort actually

• The footrest: it works indeed better, but being tall and big it does not really matter to me
  • The density of the foam: Frankly I did not notice any change seating on the seat. Might be worth trying it on a full night flight (anyone?), but I did notice the famous bar that sticks on your back, and nothing really changes about this feeling!

All in all, no real progress on the night comfort of this seat.

Business
I was excited to give a try to this new cabin presented back in February.
3 seats were available for a try: one right side seat, and one pair of central seats.
I know that by choosing a Cirrus seat, Air France made a right choice, aligned with its competitors, but I was a little worried about the feet space, as I felt really cramped in the CX version.

Pros:
  • Seat general comfort in all positions. I did it feel cramped at anytime, neither feeling back pains by an inadequate posture. The bed mode is awesome as the bed is really large, even if you sleep on the side (no foot pains or cramped feet)

• The IFE screen is huge and it's mobility allows to see its content in all seats positions (A big improvement towards NEV)

• The cabinet for personal belongings is perfectly adequate for our standard electronics, books or magazines

• The tablet is finally large enough to work and dine without being cramped

Cons:
  • The Moving screen system of the IFE seems fragile, I almost broke it!
  • Do not try to seat on the seat when in bed mode: I hurt my shoulders on the "wings" of the cocoon.

Your host in the seat (I know, I look ridiculous):

La Première
Of course, that was the main purpose of my trip, so pictures were focused on that cabin. I was pretty skeptical about the curtains thing, which can make the cabin a little messy, and also by the colors when looking at the press kit or the slides. But frankly I was surprised by how clean and charming it looks in real. Actually, it was pretty hard to find cons, but I managed to

Here are a few highlights of the cabin:
FA seated in the seat

Myself in the seat, seated position...

... Bed position!

IFE

Closed curtain from the inside

Curtain fixation

Simplified seat controls

Detailed Seat Controls and IFE Remote

Automated Sun Shades

Bose QuietComfort 3 headphones

Divider

Tableware

Pros:
  • The curtains system is actually very wise and clean, you can adjust the level of privacy by closing the curtain more or less (horizontally). Vertically, it offers full privacy (unlike many suites in the market). When closed completely, I did not feel cramped at all.
  • The bed is very large. I did not get to try the futon and comforter though
  • The colors of the cabin really make a lot in the peaceful ambiance of the suite.
  • The seat controls are just very intuitive and simple, but can be fine tuned if you want
  • The tablet is huge, like really huge
  • The ottoman is way way more comfortable than before when used as a companion seat for dinner
  • The sun shades are really a plus
  • The branded amenity kit is a plus (No Biologique Recherche anymore onboard but still in the P lounge)
  • The new tableware is just beautiful in my own opinion

Cons:
  • The IFE is not moveable and pretty far from the seat
  • Personal space to put your electronics for example is pretty small
  • They did not use the opportunity to offer the ability to merge the two central suites in a double bed à la SQ.
  • When the two travelers occupying the middle suites are not traveling together, the level of possible privacy is way lower, only possible through the physical divider and not curtains between the two seats (curtains being on the aisle)

I hope you enjoyed the report. I tried to be as extensive as I could, but please excuse any missing detail you would have liked to see.

Also, I wanted to thank AF organization for this event. They were amazing, and journalists don't always recognize their investment to make these kind of press trips seamless for everyone.
They also told me how much they value our community of travelers, especially because major contributors are very balanced in both positive and negative aspects of their products, always very smart.

Enjoy your bridge-weekend!
Old May 7, 14, 8:24 pm

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Thank you for your report olivedel !

Strangely P seat looks much bigger when the FA seats on it
Old May 7, 14, 9:22 pm
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
Thank you for your report olivedel !
My pleasure!

Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
Strangely P seat looks much bigger when the FA seats on it
She was very small !
Old May 7, 14, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by olivedel View Post
I hope you enjoyed the report. I tried to be as extensive as I could, but please excuse any missing detail you would have liked to see.
Yes I enjoyed it. Well done to you and AF.

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: