More than a ton of cocaine seized on an AF flight

Old Sep 23, 13, 4:36 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ORY
Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Posts: 1,990
And now, 1.6 millions of gold ingots has been stolen from a CDG-ZRH AF flight.
Mokshu is offline  
Old Sep 23, 13, 5:24 pm
  #32  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,234
Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
Undisclosed one.

If you have read the book Camorra, it is clearly described by Roberto Saviano.
This is along the same lines as China Town is supposed to be one of the safest areas in Manhattan, because the Chinese "families" there don't want any police sniffing round what is going on there.

However, whilst this theory may hold in many places, I do also uphold that there are many counter-examples. There are many places that are corrupt like there's no tomorrow but in those same places "security" means that the most efficient way to bring a gun on board a plane is to put it in your bag or your trouser pockets. The machine may be out of order, or they don't look on the image on X ray screen when your bag goes through, or they pat/search passengers only around their upper body, or...
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Sep 23, 13, 6:04 pm
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 17,638
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
This is along the same lines as China Town is supposed to be one of the safest areas in Manhattan, because the Chinese "families" there don't want any police sniffing round what is going on there.

However, whilst this theory may hold in many places, I do also uphold that there are many counter-examples. There are many places that are corrupt like there's no tomorrow but in those same places "security" means that the most efficient way to bring a gun on board a plane is to put it in your bag or your trouser pockets. The machine may be out of order, or they don't look on the image on X ray screen when your bag goes through, or they pat/search passengers only around their upper body, or...
I agree. I can in particular think of places used in Africa on the South America-Europe drug trade circuit that you would definitely not classify as "safe."
NickB is offline  
Old Sep 23, 13, 11:53 pm
  #34  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 19,140
Originally Posted by nicolas75 View Post
But I know that all the AF cargo freight operations are 24/7 under CCTV and are inspected by X ray and dogs.
I suspect dogs at CCS are also corrupted and part of the plot
Goldorak is online now  
Old Sep 24, 13, 12:58 am
  #35  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geneva, Dubai, Paris
Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Posts: 1,864
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
As hinted by NickB and JOUY31, the transporter (airline or otherwise) has neither the responsibility nor the right to search cargo.
This may be the case on a cargo-only flight but certainly not on a passenger flight...Are you seriously implying that cargo loaded on a passenger flight doesn't have to go through security checks? Seems impossible to me as it would make all other security checks performed on passengers and their personal luggage irrelevant. Please enlighten me.

The flight in question definitely wasn't a cargo-only flight:

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/09/22/wo...html?hpt=hp_t4
JohnRain is offline  
Old Sep 24, 13, 2:50 am
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 17,638
Originally Posted by JohnRain View Post
This may be the case on a cargo-only flight but certainly not on a passenger flight...Are you seriously implying that cargo loaded on a passenger flight doesn't have to go through security checks?
orbitmic has neither said nor implied such things. Rather, the point is that those checks are the responsibility of the relevant authorities (customs, primarily, in most states) rather than the airline itself.
NickB is offline  
Old Sep 24, 13, 3:11 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geneva, Dubai, Paris
Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Posts: 1,864
Thanks for clarifying this NickB, I obviously wasn't totally awake when I read the post...

Even if in this case the whole thing isn't AF's fault, it's not reassuring at all that such a thing can happen. The airline is ultimately responsible for the safety of its passengers and it would definitely make sense to run extra security checks at "risky" airports like in Venezuela, Colombia, etc
JohnRain is offline  
Old Sep 24, 13, 3:32 am
  #38  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 800
now gold shipment missing on an AF flight from Zurich

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130924/thie...-france-flight
macaron95 is offline  
Old Sep 24, 13, 9:35 pm
  #39  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,234
Originally Posted by macaron95 View Post
now gold shipment missing on an AF flight from Zurich

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130924/thie...-france-flight
Not sure whether the suitcases with gold are really stolen.

Could simply be a matter that they were on a MiNi fare by Air France on a flight which is operated by HOP-Regional on behalf of HOP! on behalf of Air France. And then someone wasn't sure anymore which baggage rules to apply, especially since the tickets were booked before May 5th on the Regional website which is now an operating unit of HOP! . So two suitcases just didn't make it and are still somewhere in the bowels of CDG while some Swiss bank employee is holding on the phone to talk to the Air France Swiss Lost & Found line which is in Prague and doesn't believe that the suitcases were full of gold and therefore offers only a toothbrush and T-Shirt as replacement. At the same time AF Marketing publishes a statement saying that people who have lost gold or other bullion can get up-to-date information on where their assets are by calling 3618 at 0.68 EUR/minute from Monday to Friday 10-11.30am and 2pm-3.30pm for all flights operated by Air France except codeshares, and to listen to an explanation of whether HOP is a codeshare please press 5 for 0.48 EUR/minute. The AF apologists invade the forums saying that this shows how Air France suffers from yet another unfair advantage of Emirates, who can use all the gold to decorate their aircraft interiors whilst Air France has to hand it over to nasty speculators in Switzerland.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Sep 24, 13, 11:25 pm
  #40  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geneva, Dubai, Paris
Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Posts: 1,864
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Not sure whether the suitcases with gold are really stolen.

Could simply be a matter that they were on a MiNi fare by Air France on a flight which is operated by HOP-Regional on behalf of HOP! on behalf of Air France. And then someone wasn't sure anymore which baggage rules to apply, especially since the tickets were booked before May 5th on the Regional website which is now an operating unit of HOP! . So two suitcases just didn't make it and are still somewhere in the bowels of CDG while some Swiss bank employee is holding on the phone to talk to the Air France Swiss Lost & Found line which is in Prague and doesn't believe that the suitcases were full of gold and therefore offers only a toothbrush and T-Shirt as replacement. At the same time AF Marketing publishes a statement saying that people who have lost gold or other bullion can get up-to-date information on where their assets are by calling 3618 at 0.68 EUR/minute from Monday to Friday 10-11.30am and 2pm-3.30pm for all flights operated by Air France except codeshares, and to listen to an explanation of whether HOP is a codeshare please press 5 for 0.48 EUR/minute. The AF apologists invade the forums saying that this shows how Air France suffers from yet another unfair advantage of Emirates, who can use all the gold to decorate their aircraft interiors whilst Air France has to hand it over to nasty speculators in Switzerland.
And the Oscar for the funniest post of the year goes to....San Gottardo!
Seriously, this is hilarious....
JohnRain is offline  
Old Sep 25, 13, 2:30 am
  #41  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ORY
Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Posts: 1,990
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Not sure whether the suitcases with gold are really stolen.

Could simply be a matter that they were on a MiNi fare by Air France on a flight which is operated by HOP-Regional on behalf of HOP! on behalf of Air France. And then someone wasn't sure anymore which baggage rules to apply, especially since the tickets were booked before May 5th on the Regional website which is now an operating unit of HOP! . So two suitcases just didn't make it and are still somewhere in the bowels of CDG while some Swiss bank employee is holding on the phone to talk to the Air France Swiss Lost & Found line which is in Prague and doesn't believe that the suitcases were full of gold and therefore offers only a toothbrush and T-Shirt as replacement. At the same time AF Marketing publishes a statement saying that people who have lost gold or other bullion can get up-to-date information on where their assets are by calling 3618 at 0.68 EUR/minute from Monday to Friday 10-11.30am and 2pm-3.30pm for all flights operated by Air France except codeshares, and to listen to an explanation of whether HOP is a codeshare please press 5 for 0.48 EUR/minute. The AF apologists invade the forums saying that this shows how Air France suffers from yet another unfair advantage of Emirates, who can use all the gold to decorate their aircraft interiors whilst Air France has to hand it over to nasty speculators in Switzerland.
Totally made my day. You deserve an award
Mokshu is offline  
Old Sep 25, 13, 4:06 am
  #42  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 800
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Not sure whether the suitcases with gold are really stolen.

Could simply be a matter that they were on a MiNi fare by Air France on a flight which is operated by HOP-Regional on behalf of HOP! on behalf of Air France. And then someone wasn't sure anymore which baggage rules to apply, especially since the tickets were booked before May 5th on the Regional website which is now an operating unit of HOP! . So two suitcases just didn't make it and are still somewhere in the bowels of CDG while some Swiss bank employee is holding on the phone to talk to the Air France Swiss Lost & Found line which is in Prague and doesn't believe that the suitcases were full of gold and therefore offers only a toothbrush and T-Shirt as replacement. At the same time AF Marketing publishes a statement saying that people who have lost gold or other bullion can get up-to-date information on where their assets are by calling 3618 at 0.68 EUR/minute from Monday to Friday 10-11.30am and 2pm-3.30pm for all flights operated by Air France except codeshares, and to listen to an explanation of whether HOP is a codeshare please press 5 for 0.48 EUR/minute. The AF apologists invade the forums saying that this shows how Air France suffers from yet another unfair advantage of Emirates, who can use all the gold to decorate their aircraft interiors whilst Air France has to hand it over to nasty speculators in Switzerland.

you made my day
macaron95 is offline  
Old Sep 25, 13, 5:35 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 7,234
There are better stories on lost luggage:

Part 1 and

Part 2
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Sep 25, 13, 7:01 am
  #44  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 17,638
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
There are better stories on lost luggage:

Part 1 and

Part 2
Post #39 was very funny. Thanks.

Re the post you linked to, I am actually very impressed that Air Napolon has "delayed/lost baggage" phone numbers that you can actually get through to and speak to what seems to be human persons...
NickB is offline  
Old Sep 25, 13, 10:13 am
  #45  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Greater CDG Area
Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Posts: 822
back on topic, just read that they put in jail the head of security of CCS airport, as well as 7 other members of the army. You couldn't probably do this w/o the knowledge of the army, which is in charge of all the controls at the airport.
MarLim is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread