Overnight connection: bag checked through?

Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Overnight connection: bag checked through?

I have an upcoming trip CDG-AMS-USA with CDG-AMS on AF and AMS-USA on DL, all on one PNR (and in business class). I have a connection of approximately 22 hours in AMS, overnight.

If I check a bag at CDG (as SkyTeam ElitePlus with no FB status, but this shouldn't matter), will AF tag it through to my final USA destination? Of will AF (as KLM has very recently been reported as doing according to a new policy to prevent/discourage hidden city ticketing involving a service fee to have the bag returned at AMS) insist on checking the bag only to AMS, so that I must retrieve it and take it to my hotel for the night? Can I do it either way, according to my choice at check in?

In similar situations in the past involving KLM or AF connecting flights within Europe and overnight connections of just under 24 hours at CDG and AMS, I have always been given the choice at check in. I make a point of reminding the agent that my TATL flight is the following day and then verifying the baggage tag.

However, I'm asking here because KLM seems to have changed its policy on this and to be aggressively checking all bags through unless the ticket involves an official stopover of over 24 hours or if the ticket has been booked and fared as multi citysegments with a fare break at AMS.

I looked at the airfrance.us website and didn't find anything. Searching in this forum on FT didn't lead to any answers either.

Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 2:47 pm

Hi,
I have an overnight stay at CDG on my flight back home from SIN. Do you think I can check my luggage to the final destination, even if I have an overnight at CDG ?
Old Jan 24, 2023, 4:37 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
I've split my bags before on an overnight in AMS: one checked through to jfk and the other to collect in AMS. Zero issues.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:58 am

Thanks. we will do the same, much easier.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.