CDG connection between terminals 2F and 2E in 1 hour?

Old Jul 11, 18, 11:40 am
  #46  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 6,630
Originally Posted by flyerwma View Post
Connecting NAP-CDG-JFK, with the last segment on the 789. Assume itís 2F to 2E Hall L, as itís a evening departure (so not M) and 789 (not K). Just over 1hr connection, so just planning.

Thx.
789s do also leave from the K gates. As a matter of fact, on most days over the past 2 weeks the AF 008 did leave from the K gates.

Let us know how it'll go. I have a GVA-CDG-JFK for that same evening flight to New York, connection time 1 hour. Whilst I know my way around the airport I'd be curious what your experience is with passport control when going from 2F to 2E.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:17 pm
  #47  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Netherlands
Programs: Platinum: KL Gold: A3 Rust: BA
Posts: 25,357
Originally Posted by flyerwma View Post

Thx.
What for?
irishguy28 is offline  
Old Jul 11, 18, 2:33 pm
  #48  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 612
My flight is not until late August, so will update after that. Thanks for the info.
flyerwma is offline  
Old Jul 11, 18, 10:25 pm
  #49  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 15,959
Originally Posted by flyerwma View Post
Connecting NAP-CDG-JFK, with the last segment on the 789. Assume itís 2F to 2E Hall L, as itís a evening departure (so not M) and 789 (not K). Just over 1hr connection, so just planning.
Why do you say ę 789 (not K) Ľ ? 789 do park anywhere.
And for your connection, the answer is always the same : tight but feasible, especially at that time immigration and security are not crowded usually.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Jul 12, 18, 3:46 am
  #50  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 6,630
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Why do you say ę 789 (not K) Ľ ? 789 do park anywhere.
And for your connection, the answer is always the same : tight but feasible, especially at that time immigration and security are not crowded usually.
That and there isn't even a need to go through security 2F >> 2E.
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Jul 15, 18, 2:26 am
  #51  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Paris, France
Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Posts: 1,468
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
That and there isn't even a need to go through security 2F >> 2E.
So, security or not??? Goldorak says yes, St Gotthard says no (answer after 7 pm in Moscow )
delanotre is offline  
Old Jul 15, 18, 8:48 am
  #52  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Posts: 6,630
Originally Posted by delanotre View Post
So, security or not??? Goldorak says yes, St Gotthard says no (answer after 7 pm in Moscow )
It depends. The specific case posed was:

Originally Posted by flyerwma View Post
Connecting NAP-CDG-JFK, with the last segment on the 789. Assume itís 2F to 2E Hall L, as itís a evening departure (so not M) and 789 (not K). Just over 1hr connection, so just planning.
Napoli to Paris to New York, Schengen arrival, non-Schengen departure, from 2F to 2E: no security (Goldorak must have overlooked that).

The other way around, from 2E to 2F, from non-Schengen to Schengen, there is security. CDG/Air France are behind the times, they even require pax to go through to security when arriving from otherwise clean countries such as UK, USA, Singapore, ...

Arriving from Moscow: there always will be security check in Paris when connecting to another flight
San Gottardo is offline  
Old Jul 15, 18, 9:11 am
  #53  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 15,959
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
Why do you say ę 789 (not K) Ľ ? 789 do park anywhere.
And for your connection, the answer is always the same : tight but feasible, especially at that time immigration and security are not crowded usually.
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
That and there isn't even a need to go through security 2F >> 2E.
Originally Posted by delanotre View Post
So, security or not??? Goldorak says yes, St Gotthard says no (answer after 7 pm in Moscow )
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Napoli to Paris to New York, Schengen arrival, non-Schengen departure, from 2F to 2E: no security (Goldorak must have overlooked that).
Apologies, I gave a generic answer with immigration and security usually not crowded at that time. But of course no security to clear when going from Schengen (2F or 2G) to non-Schengen (2E) as rightly explained by other posters
Goldorak is offline  
Old Aug 10, 18, 10:44 am
  #54  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 612
Originally Posted by flyerwma View Post
Connecting NAP-CDG-JFK, with the last segment on the 789. Assume itís 2F to 2E Hall L, as itís a evening departure (so not M) and 789 (not K). Just over 1hr connection, so just planning.
My flight is not for another 2 weeks, but I've started monitoring this connection. NAP-CDG has frequently been 30+ mins late, at times 60+ mins late. The CDG-JFK connection is the last flight to the States of the night. I'm prepared for a mad dash from 2F to 2E (likely K or L), but also fearful of misconnect and a forced overnight in CDG. Not much I can do....
flyerwma is offline  
Old Aug 27, 18, 1:41 pm
  #55  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 612
My inbound was 15 minutes late, leaving only 50 minutes for the 2F to 2E/K connection.

There were approx 15 people making the same connection, so AF sent an agent to collect us all from the arrival gate in 2F, walk to and through the Schengen border control and to the gate in 2E/K. At 6pm there was no line to exit the Schengen zone and we would have made the connection easily on our own. But the presence of the AF rep was a nice reassurance that there wouldn't be an issue.

Edited to add: It was 16 minutes from gate to gate, including Schengen exit and including a few minutes of waiting with the AF agent for some of the other passengers to get off the plane.
ijgordon, Goldorak and thanaset like this.

Last edited by flyerwma; Aug 27, 18 at 3:17 pm
flyerwma is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:33 am
  #56  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Arrow Connection Check - CDG

Hi everyone!
Another question about connections as although a frequent flyer I am not familiar with the layout and timings in CDG. I have the following routing (which is Business class) booked by Air France:

15:35 London, Heathrow Airport (LHR) Terminal 4 Air France AF1781
17:55 Paris, Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG) Terminal 2

0h 45m Transfer in Paris (Charles De Gaulle Airport)

18:40 Paris, Charles De Gaulle Airport (CDG) Terminal 2F Air France AF8240
20:00 Amsterdam, Schiphol (AMS)

Is this just tight or flat out impossible? I have another flight from AMS shortly thereafter (so rerouting due to missed CDG>AMS would be complex). I know AMS well though. 'Heavy' handbaggage only.
Thanks!
james_uk is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 2:08 pm
  #57  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 15,959
Originally Posted by james_uk View Post
Is this just tight or flat out impossible? I have another flight from AMS shortly thereafter (so rerouting due to missed CDG>AMS would be complex). I know AMS well though. 'Heavy' handbaggage only.
It is very tight but certainly possible. However, I understand that your other flight from AMS is on a separate ticket ? If yes, this is a big NO GO. LHR is prone to delays and you can have delays for other reasons than LHR. I said it's very tight but feasible but just a simple 10 min delay will turn it into a missed connection to AMS. While this would be of little consequence for someone just flying to AMS because he/she would be rebooked on the next flight (there are plenty), in your case it's creating consequential problems, hence my no go. Why don't you fly LHR-AMS non-stop ?
Goldorak is offline  
Old Sep 19, 18, 3:44 pm
  #58  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
It is very tight but certainly possible. However, I understand that your other flight from AMS is on a separate ticket ? If yes, this is a big NO GO. LHR is prone to delays and you can have delays for other reasons than LHR. I said it's very tight but feasible but just a simple 10 min delay will turn it into a missed connection to AMS. While this would be of little consequence for someone just flying to AMS because he/she would be rebooked on the next flight (there are plenty), in your case it's creating consequential problems, hence my no go. Why don't you fly LHR-AMS non-stop ?
Thanks! The entire journey is one ticket (which was provided by Air France via a corporate booking service). The routing of LHR > CDG > AMS > onwards is, just on this one occasion for this one date and one set of flights, and one full moon(!) only, oddly much less expensive versus a 'straight' LHR > AMS > onwards routing (which is the usual one). We're talking GBP600 less expensive one way. There is no journey time difference as the flight from AMS onwards is the same (just would have been a few hours at leisure in AMS). I think this routing is just a strange exception down to an odd pricing quirk at the time the order was placed.

Worth the CDG transfer gamble do you think?

(I know AMS could be fog bound anyway at that time of year and have an ATC delay!)
james_uk is offline  
Old Sep 20, 18, 12:17 am
  #59  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paris, France
Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Posts: 15,959
Originally Posted by james_uk View Post
Worth the CDG transfer gamble do you think?
I don't have much more to say, as you don't share what's after AMS and how much time you have there. The only new thing I can say is that if you are on one ticket, you are protected in case of misconnection. So if things were turning bad in CDG, maybe your final destination is also served from CDG and so they may rebook you on this service eventually.
Goldorak is offline  
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:29 pm
  #60  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 3
To come back and update on this - it took about 25 minutes in total to transit, but only because my 'neighbouring' seat passenger was French and also was co-incidentally transiting in the same way (we didn't know each other before) - we ran, somewhat ungracefully, and he explained in French to the security screening queue attendant that we were on short connections and had Priority tickets. Beckoned to skip most of the long queue. No queue at passport control. No other queues or congestion to speak of. Arrived 20 minutes before boarding at pretty much the furthest gate.
I would say with a moderate queue at passport control and not being able to skip the screening queue (i.e. not speaking French) it would have JUST been possible, but running and a good tail wind would be a must. 1 hour connection would be more comfortable, but still tight. Hope this helps someone in the future!
james_uk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: