Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

AF - Question Return/combination from differents countries in Europe

AF - Question Return/combination from differents countries in Europe

Old Nov 2, 12, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam/FlyingBlue Plat - AMEX/AF
Question AF - Question Return/combination from differents countries in Europe

I hear/saw there are quite a lot of changes as often going on with AF/ST.
Hard to follow :

I just wanted to double check :
The latest, i experienced by phone : is that i can't find "at reasonnable or normal economy" (K etc.)
the possibility to combine :

Outbound from AUSTRIA (to Paris) and a Return (from Paris) to GERMANY.
In the last months these kind of tracks where priced totally normally as a "same country" return (likewise when starting from germany and coming back from italy or austria) whatever, i'm sure you know what i refere to.

AKA :
(VIE-CDG-MUC) was like a VIE-CDG-VIE (more of less a marginal difference)

Today i asked : and the route was :
VIE-CDG(via LYON transit 2hours) and return CDG-MUC
it came up as this was possible only with ultra expensive eco rate (aka 700e/1500e) no matter the dates.

I'm wondering if there are new rates/combination policy on returns from differents countries while in the same region/area or if it is just bad luck on this exemple.
I hope it's the second !!

They also mentionned a "Abonnement Card" for Europe to appear soon (as it already exists for French Domestic flights) if this is of any help ?
Old Nov 3, 12, 12:39 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
I checked many fares from Austria to Paris and from Germany to Paris. It seems that open-jaw rountrips all come with the condition that
- if the origin is open jaw, it has to be in the same country
- if the destination is open jaw, there is no restriction.

So CDG-VIE//MUC-CDG works, and DUS-CDG//CDG-MUC works, too. For VIE-CDG//CDG-MUC a combination of two round-trips is not possible (different countries at origin) and therefore they price it as the combination of two one-ways, which makes it expensive, of course.
Old Nov 3, 12, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Thanks for infos and feedback cityflyer369 !
Intreresting... This sounds pretty new. Until recently (last weeks/months) in Europe most countries where not differenciated... (return from different country close the the on of origin) was normally possible without a new crazy "2" single fare etc...

I hope this will not be a new AirFrance trick/T&C.
Old Nov 5, 12, 3:16 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: AB, BA, LH, KL, QR, spg, IC
I'll move this thread over to the AF forum as its topic seems to be AF pricing.

ralfkrippner,
skyteam forum moderator
Old Nov 5, 12, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Sure !! )
Sorry about this
Thanks,
Alex
Old Nov 5, 12, 7:21 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
It has been ages AF does not allow any international origin open jaw at reasonable prices for european fares. However, when flying outside Europe, Europe is considered as one country so you can do VIE NYC MUC on AF and pay half of the cheap round trip VIE NYC and half of the cheap round trip MUC NYC.

I guess it will be cheaper for you to fly via VIE CDG NYC CDG MUC than just a plain VIE CDG MUC
Old Nov 6, 12, 1:07 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat (matched and requalified, I am a marketers dream), EK & QR mid-tier, etc..
Originally Posted by ranskis View Post
It has been ages AF does not allow any international origin open jaw at reasonable prices for european fares. However, when flying outside Europe, Europe is considered as one country so you can do VIE NYC MUC on AF and pay half of the cheap round trip VIE NYC and half of the cheap round trip MUC NYC.

I guess it will be cheaper for you to fly via VIE CDG NYC CDG MUC than just a plain VIE CDG MUC
I just discovered this very nice option too - right now on a ZRH CDG JNB CDG MUC trip... a ton cheaper than on LH or LX
Old Nov 6, 12, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Hi pilatusguy and ranskis ,

Thanks for the tips. Good to know. I'm still newbie here and looking to learn how all this works.

I also saw that when "departing" from France with AF/purchased tickets, in this case i can do a CDG-MUC and Return VIE or even ROM-CDG. etc.
In my initial case this was not possible because my ticket was a "departing Vienna" foreign AF ticket.
Thanks and Speak sooon,
Alex
Old Nov 7, 12, 4:51 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
You can also do open jaw with Vienna as origin: VIE CDG LHR // CPH CDG VIE, no problem (as long as LHR CPH distance is below the max of VIECDG+CDGLHR and of CPHCDG+CDGVIE)

The problem is that you cannot do an open jaw XXX YYY and back YYY ZZZ where XXX and ZZZ are in different countries (exception is Scandinavia that is considered one country, so OSL CDG STO is ok). So CDG VIE CDG AMS will not work out cheap, even if you start in France. However, CDG VIE LYS works because CDG and LYS are in the same country.