FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Poor Pierre-Henri Gourgeon (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1351269-poor-pierre-henri-gourgeon.html)

blairvanhorn May 30, 2012 2:38 am

Poor Pierre-Henri Gourgeon

First no more free Business Class tickets to Ile Maurice, now this!

From Le Monde:

Bercy refuse de valider la prime de 400 000 euros de l'ex-PDG d'Air France

Edited to add link to a similar article in English (Reuters):

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...84S1FU20120530

blairvanhorn May 30, 2012 2:40 am

But I suppose he still has CDG Express as a consolation. ;)

brunos May 30, 2012 3:10 am

What is funny is that the French government makes all this noise about the 400,000 bonus of PHG but is in no position to refuse it as AFKL is not a State company but a listed firm. Assuming that it is again discussed at the Board level and requires a fresh approval by the Board, the French government could ask its representative to vote against it. But the press release says that they will only be asked to abstain. Why can't they vote no if that is the desire of the State shareholder. This is just a parody of saber rattling.

blairvanhorn May 30, 2012 3:15 am

Very true, brunos.

Richelieu May 30, 2012 4:10 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 18664936)
But the press release says that they will only be asked to abstain. Why can't they vote no if that is the desire of the State shareholder.

Because only votes in favour are counted and need to meet the majority of shares. Abstentions are assimilated to vote against.

brunos May 30, 2012 4:27 am

Frankly, that is not my point. All of this is just symbolic, but symbols are important. If the State wants to send a strong message to the board, especially to the executive directors, their representative should vote against, not abstain.
By the way, who is granting this bonus. Is it AF or AFKL?

Richelieu May 30, 2012 4:36 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 18665130)
Frankly, that is not my point. All of this is just symbolic, but symbols are important. If the State wants to send a strong message to the board, especially to the executive directors, their representative should vote against, not abstain.

But they can't. There is no "no" vote. I wasn't clear when I said that only yes vote are counted, sorry: they're just asking "who is in favour of proposition number XYZ" ? and they look if the number of voting shares is > 50% of shares. Basically, you're handed a card where all the proposal numbers are mentionned, and you check the ones you approve. There is no "no" option to check, they just count the voting bulletin as "yes". You either check or don't do anything (and abstain).

I don't know who's paying but I assume it's the entity that paid his salary as it's part of his work severance package. I agree with you it's all symbolic anyway since it's probable they won't get the money back.

JOUY31 May 30, 2012 7:11 am

By the way, who is granting this bonus. Is it AF or AFKL?

I would say AFKL, as he was CEO of both AFKL & AF and as we are talking about the board meeting and AGM of AFKL. Apparently, the decision on the non-compete clause was approved by the AFKL board in October 2011.

With respect to abstaining or voting against, it looks more like a competition based on words between Moscovici & Montebourg ...

Le ministère de l'Economie refusera de valider la prime de non-concurrence de 400.000 euros versée à l'ancien directeur général d'Air France-KLM, Pierre-Henri Gourgeon, lors de l'assemblée générale de la compagnie jeudi, a annoncé Bercy mardi soir dans un communiqué.

Ces indemnités, «validées par le précédent gouvernement», ne «s'inscrivent pas dans le sens des règles de modération salariale et de décence» annoncées par le président François Hollande, justifient le ministre de l'Economie Pierre Moscovici et son homologue chargé du Redressement productif, Arnaud Montebourg.

«Le représentant de l'Etat aura pour instruction de s'abstenir de valider l'indemnité de 400.000 euros versée au précédent directeur général d'Air France-KLM, lors de l'assemblée générale de la société, le 31 mai 2012 au moment où l'entreprise connaît une situation difficile», indiquent-ils.

«L'Etat attend un comportement exemplaire en matière de rémunérations des dirigeants. Le gouvernement définira très prochainement de nouvelles règles sur la rémunération des dirigeants d'entreprise, conformément aux engagements du Président de la République», ajoutent les deux ministres.

Originally Posted by LCI
"Nous voterons contre la prime qui a été accordée à l'ancien dirigeant d'Air France et qui a mis la société dans cette grave difficulté, cela s'appelle la décence salariale", a confirmé Arnaud Montebourg à l'issue du conseil des ministres mercredi, alors que la veille Bercy avait évoqué une "abstention" de l'Etat actionnaire. L'assemblée générale de la compagnie, lors de laquelle aura lieu le vote, est prévue jeudi.

http://lci.tf1.fr/economie/entrepris...n-7323279.html

The first vote should be by the board of directors. It is not about approving the payment; it is a legal obligation the board has: to submit to a vote by the AGM all contracts belonging to a list defined by law, such as a contract between a CEO and the company. Not submitting the contract with the non-compete clause to the AGM would lead to the members of the board of directors being in breach of the Code du Commerce. This vote has probably already taken place, as the list of resolutions must be included in the official notice of the AGM.

The second vote, which is about approving the resolution submitted by the board, is by the AGM. Whether it has any impact is another issue.

brunos May 30, 2012 7:30 am

Hi Richelieu. Now I am getting utterly confused.
I have never seen a Board of Directors/Conseil d'Administration of a private (meaning not State-owned) company operate as you describe. Actually, it would be against French law of Société Anonyme (and laws in most countries). Directors are individuals and vote as they wish. Each one has one vote whoever he/she "represents" or how he/she was appointed to the board. They do not vote with a proportion of "their" shares.

On the board of AFKL Group, there is one guy appointed by the French State (I think currently J.D. Comolli):
http://www.airfranceklm.com/fr/le-gr...t-dentreprise/
Propositions are formulated by the compensation committee (a group of directors) and discussed by the whole board. But each director has one vote. Of course, decisions are usually reached by consensus.

My question about who proposes/pays this bonus is not unsignificant because Société Air France is a subsidiary of AFKL with a structure inherited from its time a State-owned company. its board is quite different:
http://corporate.airfrance.com/fr/la...dministration/
But it is hard to get a clear picture of the AFKL legal structure.

Richelieu May 30, 2012 7:43 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 18665857)
Hi Richelieu. Now I am getting utterly confused.
I have never seen a Board of Directors/Conseil d'Administration of a private (meaning not State-owned) company operate as you describe. Actually, it would be against French law of Société Anonyme (and laws in most countries). Directors are individuals and vote as they wish. Each one has one vote whoever he/she "represents" or how he/she was appointed to the board. They do not vote with a proportion of "their" shares.

The newspaper article was referring to an approval by the shareholders' general assembly, not the board. Hence the confusion, I think, but it may be mine. If it was an instruction given to the state-appointed boardmember, then I'd agree that a "no" vote and a "absention" vote would be different (both as a symbol and in effect, since they'd vote with just the need of having more "yes" than "no" among voters].

irishguy28 May 30, 2012 7:45 am

Originally Posted by brunos (Post 18665857)
Hi Richelieu. Directors are individuals and vote as they wish. Each one has one vote whoever he/she "represents" or how he/she was appointed to the board. They do not vote with a proportion of "their" shares.

I think you've misinterpreted or misrepresented what Richelieu is saying.

No one votes "with a proportion of their shares" - if by this you mean someone saying "well, 82% of the shares I represent want to say YES, and 18% of the shares I represent want to say NO".

But the size of the shareholding has to be factored in. If the French government, who apparently own 15.9% of the company, were to abstain, rather than being interpreted as "1 vote - an abstention", it has instead to be weighted as a vote representing fully 15.9% of the issued shares.

So anyone who owns 50.1% or more of a company can always get their way - their single vote will always outrank the (potentially thousands of) other smaller shareholders' votes, who at most only carry a combined weight of 49.9%.

NickB May 30, 2012 8:29 am

If the State wants to send a strong message to the board, especially to the executive directors, their representative should vote against, not abstain.

The article states "s'abstenir de valider" rather than "s'abstenir" tout court, viz. "refrain from approving" rather than "abstain."

JOUY31 May 30, 2012 9:35 am

Well, it seems that, even in the case of a negative vote by the AF/KL AGM, the non-compete clause for PHG cannot be invalidated. It looks as if this is more about posturing by various parties (trade unions, politicians, ...) than about having a real impact.

irishguy28 May 30, 2012 9:42 am

Maybe they'll give him 5,000 FB miles and a €50 TDC by way of compensation.

Mokshu May 30, 2012 11:01 am

I don't understand how a company that was so badly managed over the last few years can agree on giving money against a NCC for the exiting CEO