Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor Pierre-Henri Gourgeon

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 6:59 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I would say it is not that simple and that there are many shades of grey. Without giving out proprietary information, PHG could limit the growth potential AF has on specific markets by simply highlighting opportunities of growth for competitors. Would it be in violation of his obligations other than the non compete clause? I don't think so. Would it adversely impact potential avenues of growth for AF? Quite possibly. 11K EUR (16K EUR including social costs) per month is a pretty cheap insurance policy IMHO.

I don't have any special interest in what happens to PHG nor do I have any fondness for what he has done to the medium-haul premium product . But for better and for worse, he is now part of AF's past. Making sure that he does not adversely impact AF's future is a more important concern than whatever happens to him or what I feel about his tenure at AF/KL.

Last edited by JOUY31; May 31, 2012 at 8:40 am
Old May 31, 2012, 7:34 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Making sure that he does not adversely impact AF's future is a more important concern than whatever happens to him.
Actually, I am very interested to know if he'll try to get discounted fare on public transportation to CDG.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I would say it is not that simple and that there are many shades of grey. Without giving out proprietary information, PHG could limit the growth potential AF has on specific markets by simply highlighting opportunities of growth for competitors. Would it be in violation of his obligations other than the non compete clause? I don't think so. Would it adversely impact potential avenues of growth for AF? Quite possibly. 11K EUR (16K EUR including social costs) per month is a pretty cheap insurance policy IMHO.

I don't have any special interest in what happens to PHG nor do I have any fondness for what he has done to the medium-haul premium product . But for better and for worse, he is now part of AF's past. Making sure that he does not adversely impact AF's future is a more important concern than whatever happens to him or what I feel about his tenure at AF/KL.
I agree with you JOUY31.
I agree that a no-compete clause could have some value for AF (although for someone with such a bad vision of the market?). It also does make sense for other retiring AF top executives.

But I also understand the outcry about granting a 1.5 million indemnity after so much value destruction. Part of that 1.5 million is arbitrarily assigned to a no-compete clause and it is a bit funny that the public questions the 400,000 and not the whole bonus.
I am not an expert on French labor law, but I do remember that a CEO is on a "siège éjectable" and can be removed at will. PHG was already past retirement age (65), so he is simply owed his retirement package for having worked so many years at AF. The value destruction under his tenure has been huge (a few billions in equity value), nevertheless he gets a bonus of 1.5 million.
I agree that there are many other bad examples in the world, including in the USA. But the symbolic message is awful and does not improve AF image abroad.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:28 am

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by brunos
it is a bit funny that the public questions the 400,000 and not the whole bonus.
The symbolic message is awful and does not improve AF image abroad.
I would definitely agree with you, brunos.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:50 am

AF KLM Board votes "no" for PHG 400K

http://www.romandie.com/news/n/L039A...0520121838.asp
(apologies, in French!)

Moral is - partly - safe!

Fred

Last edited by schlegfr; May 31, 2012 at 11:29 am
Old May 31, 2012, 11:29 am

re: AF KLM Board votes "no" for PHG 400K

Originally Posted by schlegfr
http://www.romandie.com/news/n/L039A...0520121838.asp
(apologies, in French!)

Moral is safe!

Fred
Note that this is a decision by the AGM, not the board of directors.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Since the government only owns 15,8% of the shares, I'd really like to know who voted against. Small shareholders* and unions?

*petits porteurs, but I don't have a clue what's the sanctionned term is...
Old May 31, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Richelieu
Since the government only owns 15,8% of the shares, I'd really like to know who voted against. Small shareholders* and unions?

*petits porteurs, but I don't have a clue what's the sanctionned term is...
I'd suspect so. I don't have any AF share but if I did as a small independent shareholder, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to give yet more money to someone I would perceive as having badly damaged my asset. I fully agree with brunos and JOUY31 about the symbolic message. We live through funny times right now, and there is no doubt that arguments and practices that were entirely unquestioned a few years ago now need to pass an additional 'apparent morality scrutiny'. I'm not saying that this is good or bad (it would be good if it really resulted in a new 'ethical' conception of business but I suspect it is more of an epidermic reaction to the crisis which is likely to die down as quickly as it emerged) but I think that it is a fact that people are making those sorts of judgements in their minds at the moment.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:13 am

What happens now that the AGM has voted against the compensation for the non compete clause?

1) the clause and the compensation for the clause are still valid
2) were PHG to give back the compensation amount to the airline group, the non compete clause would be void and the airline possibly endangered
3) negotiating to scale down the compensation would not necessarily be useful because the amount is already quite low and it would (probably) not mollify those who oppose the compensation
4) donating the amount (or part of it) to a separate legal entity such as Fondation Air France would keep the non compete clause valid and probably satisfy the protesters; it nevertheless requires that PHG be willing to do it and that he has the liquidity to do it

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 2, 2012 at 1:19 pm
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Summary: nothing is changed but symbols are saved.
PS: That's the positive view
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by brunos
Summary: nothing is changed but symbols are saved.
PS: That's the positive view
One wonders if this wasn't all negotiated/arranged in advance before the trumpeting of different ministers in the press ...
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:55 am

What happens now that the AGM has voted against the compensation for the no compete clause?
Boardmembers discovered that the shareholders that they are supposed to serve don't want large compensation packages given to people who failed at doing their job correctly. It wasn't apparent to them until that point if one listened to Jean-Cyril Spinetta, who was strongly in favour of this package. He'll be able to use this insight in the future, maybe resulting in a better social climate as the era of asking everyone to accept worse working conditions except management --- who keeps perks and large compensations despite failing at their job --- comes to an end and it doesn't at least worsen the perceived chasm between workers and shareholders expectations. Popular outcry, in general and outside Air France --- even Parisot thought PHG's compensation was out of line ! --- may lead to more ethical behaviour when it comes to determining compensations.

Last edited by Richelieu; Jun 1, 2012 at 4:05 am
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:25 am

You either do nothing and vote yes, or check the box to both abstain and vote no without distinction. Except you don't have to blacken all the boxes if you're OK with everything. Only yes vote are tallied.
Apparently, this applies only to voting by people who are not present at the Air France/KLM AGM. For shareholders who participate in the AGM, they do have the choice to vote yes, no, or abstain.

This slide from Investir was taken for the vote on PHG's compensation for the non-compete clause. So, it does make a visible difference whether the state's representative abstains or opposes the resolution, provided he is physically present at the Air France/KLM AGM.

Live report by Investir

Last edited by JOUY31; Jun 5, 2012 at 11:34 am
Old Jun 5, 2012, 11:54 am

Apparently, this applies only to voting by people who are not present at the Air France/KLM AGM. For shareholders who participate in the AGM, they do have the choice to vote yes, no, or abstain.
From the tally, with only 1,76% abstaining, it looks like the French government representative vote "no".

This slide from Investir was taken for the vote on PHG's compensation for the non-compete clause. So, it does make a visible difference whether the state's representative abstains or opposes the resolution, provided he is physically present at the Air France/KLM AGM.
It's interesting that they have different voting bulletins for mail vote and physical vote.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 12:00 pm

It's interesting that they have different voting bulletins for mail vote and physical vote.
Yes, I have no idea why?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.