Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PHG's new job: make CDG Express happen

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 3:46 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Mokshu
That's in project (see "Barreau de Gonnesse") :P

But regarding public transportation, here is the process in France :
- first there's a big plan with lots of crazy announces regarding a new automated metro, with the most recent technology available, which is both direct and omnibus at the same time (in order to make everyone happy). This is a railway train that need both tracks + tunnel creations, for a total costs of 1 bn EUR ;
LOL. I know exactly what you mean, but you are forgetting a few things. It will also solve the problems of RER A and the overcrowded metro lines, it will be the end of traffic jams, there will be seating for everyone, a restaurant and a bar, there will be a station every 50 meters so everyone along the line is covered and you can change without leaving the train and...it can do your laundry, too! To top it off it will be for free
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Nothing newsworthy has happened since the last post in 2012.

Now there is news: just before the end of the "public benefits study" (what is the technical term in English?) there is opposition to the idea from the neighbouring towns. "It will happen at the expense of the RER" (how so, it will de-crowd the RER), "Only rich people will be able to afford the fare" (there are still alternatives, so why do you worry about what other people are prepared to spend), "it is noisy to add new trains" (to transport the growing number of passengers would require adding more capacity to the existing infrastructure, which would be just as noisy), etc.

http://www.letelegramme.fr/france/ro...6-11144154.php
Old Oct 26, 2018, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Some news: the selection process seems to be progressing in a very French way:

https://www.ville-rail-transports.co...ment-decision/
bebert and Goldorak like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:07 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
It should be ready before the Olympics, right?

In any case, I've noticed something on the map which I hadn't seen before. Apparently an additional stop at Magenta (Gare du Nord) is now added to the plan? Or is it just referring to the fact that there will be a new walkway from Gare du Nord to Gare de L'Est without having to leave the stations?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Zembla
It should be ready before the Olympics, right?

In any case, I've noticed something on the map which I hadn't seen before. Apparently an additional stop at Magenta (Gare du Nord) is now added to the plan? Or is it just referring to the fact that there will be a new walkway from Gare du Nord to Gare de L'Est without having to leave the stations?
Magenta station already exists for years on RER E line. It is right between gare du nord and gare de l'est which are very close. On one end you go to gare du nord and on the other end to gare de l'est
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Magenta station already exists for years on RER E line. It is right between gare du nord and gare de l'est which are very close. On one end you go to gare du nord and on the other end to gare de l'est
That's right, I've used it. And the map on the link kind of seems to suggest a stop there. In addition, you can't currently walk from Gare de L'Est to Gare du Nord without having to go outside and cross lots of streets. From my understanding this will change with a new pedestrian tunnel. Also there's talk of extending RER E to la Defense since many years.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
(...) Also there's talk of extending RER E to la Defense since many years.
More than talks. Tunnels are being dug. There has even been an accident where the existing tunnel of RER A was damaged at Porte Maillot. Service is due to start in 2022.

Thanks to this thread, I have looked at the map again (had not done so for a long time) and realised they changed the master plan for RER E going west.

Originally, they had planned to dig a tunnel from Haussman - St Lazare station to Pont Cardinet, then use the existing tracks going form St Lazare to La Défense via Pont Cardinet.

It looks like this plan has been abandoned. It sounded good (cheaper) to use existing infrastructure. Maybe too good?
Old Oct 31, 2018, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by carnarvon
Thanks to this thread, I have looked at the map again (had not done so for a long time) and realised they changed the master plan for RER E going west.

Originally, they had planned to dig a tunnel from Haussman - St Lazare station to Pont Cardinet, then use the existing tracks going form St Lazare to La Défense via Pont Cardinet.

It looks like this plan has been abandoned. It sounded good (cheaper) to use existing infrastructure. Maybe too good?
As long as it is an addition without all the extra stops, and not a replacement to the existing train from St. lazare to La Defense, then this is actually an interesting idea.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
As long as it is an addition without all the extra stops, and not a replacement to the existing train from St. lazare to La Defense, then this is actually an interesting idea.
They are extending the metro line 14 from St Lazare to northern suburbs and the 1st new stop after St Lazare is Pont Cardinet, adjacent to the train station. They are building an entire new neighborhood there on former SNCF lands (Batignolles/Parc Martin Luther King). So there is a huge need for public transportation options in the Pont Cardinet area.
Zembla likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Some news: the selection process seems to be progressing in a very French way:

https://www.ville-rail-transports.co...ment-decision/

And the project continues still in a very French way...
https://www.latribune.fr/entreprises...ux-801183.html
Old Dec 17, 2018, 7:15 pm

Programs: Many
Hopefully we have now this new service, also French way: Check-in kiosk at Gare du Nord
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold

This sounds so French. Both the City of Paris and its region are opposed to the current project.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: FB Gold

Yes, quite French. I will have to admit that based on my limited off-peak travel, I'm *okay* with the RER B although I'm sure add'l capacity will be needed soon.

Admittedly, not uniquely so. Being originally grown up in the Washington DC area, such scuffles are common there too.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:17 am
Original Poster

The government has announced that the CDG Express will not be finished for the 2024 Olympic Games, but only by 2025.

If you think that the start date of this thread (2012) is an indication for how long it will have taken them to build the CDG Express and leading you to conclude that it will be 13 years, then you are wrong. To re-quote an earlier post:

CDG Express is a planned project to connect Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport and Paris by rail. Proposed to alleviate the saturation of the RER B line, it would connect terminal 2 to the Gare de l'Est.
Works were supposed to begin in 2008, with a planned opening in 2012, but the project seems to be still in stand-by as of October 2010. The line is to be 32 km long.
I guess the French didn't want to leave to the Germans the title of the most delayed and messed up infrastructure project. Although Berlin airport still holds the title for having sunk more money - but that is for a new runway, new taxiways, a complete new terminal, business buildings, parking lots, etc; whilst in Paris it's a 32km train line and rolling stock. But parallels are obvious: very strong involvement of several layers of government, lots of public money, involvement of former airline CEOs that have been fired for bad performance by their respective employers (Hunold/Air Berlin and PHG/Air France), NIMBY opposition, ignorance of inadequacy of alternatives, etc.

Pathetic.
Old May 29, 2019, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Pathetic.
I couldn’t say better

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.