Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

End of ID/BP cross-check at boarding in France for AF flights, starting May 15th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

End of ID/BP cross-check at boarding in France for AF flights, starting May 15th

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MarLim
I agree in case of OLCI, but if you do check-in at a counter, they are actually checking twice. Just as a sidenote, when taking Emirates end of last year, I did OLCI and was called by the GA together with a couple of other pax about 1 hour before boarding for PP check. They knew exactly who passed through the check-in desk and who printed BP at home.
AF (and other airlines) will do that as well but in addition to the gate checks in some specific cases: e.g. if you are travelling to the US, have OLCI'ed AND connected at the airport. The bottom line is that if I am not mistaken, on flights to a number of destinations such as the US and I believe Canada (and in different ways Israel), the airline does not have any choice has to what controls are implemented, it is part of what the destination country asks them to do in return for letting them fly.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Richelieu
As SanGottardo said, control at check-in is no longer possible now that you do that outside of the airport.
Is it not the case that, when travelling to the US, you do have to present yourself to an agent at some stage before boarding the flight?

When flying BA to the US, you always have to go to a desk (for "verification") even, as the website puts it, you are not checking luggage and have already checked in. When I flew from DUB via LHR to the US a few months ago on a different airline, I also had to visit te airline desk in transit at Heathrow in order to pick up my boarding pass for that flight - it could not be issued as part of the online check-in process or at the luggage drop-off/check-in desk in Dublin.

It's a while since I've travelled to the US from an airport other than LHR, but I expect that it is the case when leaving from anywhere that you have to interact with an agent at some stage before getting your boarding pass, or before being allowed to board.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by irishguy28
When flying BA to the US, you always have to go to a desk (for "verification") even, as the website puts it, you are not checking luggage and have already checked in.

It's a while since I've travelled to the US from an airport other than LHR, but I expect that it is the case when leaving from anywhere that you have to interact with an agent at some stage before getting your boarding pass, or before being allowed to board.
I never have to do this at LHR. I have no problem getting my BP on my Iphone 24 hours in advance of flights to the US on BA. I have a US passport which may help though.

However AF does not allow anyone to OLCI on flights to the US. I raised this point at the AF Do last month and showed them the BA BP on my iPhone, and as I was flying that very day CDG-ATL, I showed them that I could not do the same with AF. The people we met didn't understand why, but they quickly looked into the problem. It seems that the United Kingdom has an agreement with the USA that allows OLCI. But France has no such agreement with the USA so AF pax cannot OLCI on flights to the US.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
The issue is not with getting a boarding pass from BA for flights to the USA - as you say, it's possible to check in online for BA flights to the US. They do, however, require you to go to a desk at the airport, even if you are not carrying luggage or if you already have your boarding pass (i.e. even in cases where you would not otherwise need to go to a desk). I once went straight to security and was sent back to a desk - it HAS to be done.

I don't think your US passport would get you out of this requirement. Perhaps you needed to make contact with a BA agent anyway - to check a bag, for instance.

The website gives no indication that US passport holders are exempt from the requirement:

Originally Posted by BA

(under the "Go through airport security on time" heading)

Extra security when travelling from the USA
When travelling from the USA, you must go to a check-in desk and see a British Airways agent, even if you have used online check-in or a check-in kiosk. This is to complete formalities before you go through security.
I notice there that it says "FROM" the USA - but it definitely used to be the case when travelling "TO" the USA - now I'm confused!!! I really do think they mean "TO".

And it's not just BA - as far as I can tell, regardless of which airline you travel with from Heathrow to the US, you do have to see an agent from that airline while in transfer (if not starting from Heathrow), as well as potentially being interviewed by an ICTS agent when it's a US airline.

Last edited by irishguy28; May 30, 2012 at 3:27 am
Old May 30, 2012, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The issue is not with getting a boarding pass from BA for flights to the USA - as you say, it's possible to check in online for BA flights to the US. They do, however, require you to go to a desk at the airport, even if you are not carrying luggage or if you already have your boarding pass (i.e. even in cases where you would not otherwise need to go to a desk). I once went straight to security and was sent back to a desk - it HAS to be done.
All I can tell you is that I do not have to do this. Of course when transiting at LHR with BA, all passengers no matter where they are going have to get their BP and maybe their passport or visa checked at the transit station before security. Perhaps they do this check there. But when departing direct from Heathrow, I always use a mobile BP and never check bags and go straight to security and the lounge. Maybe there is some check somewhere behind the scenes, but I am unaware of it.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by stimpy
However AF does not allow anyone to OLCI on flights to the US. I raised this point at the AF Do last month and showed them the BA BP on my iPhone, and as I was flying that very day CDG-ATL, I showed them that I could not do the same with AF. The people we met didn't understand why, but they quickly looked into the problem. It seems that the United Kingdom has an agreement with the USA that allows OLCI. But France has no such agreement with the USA so AF pax cannot OLCI on flights to the US.
I had a check-in at a machine in GVA(-CDG-US) where it checks the passport. I never saw an agent in GVA or CDG. There was no PP check at either counters.

Perhaps the passport control exiting Schengen checks for valid visa at arrival country? But I doubt it.

Definitely interviewed for Delta operated flights.
Old May 30, 2012, 4:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by choijw
I had a check-in at a machine in GVA(-CDG-US) where it checks the passport. I never saw an agent in GVA or CDG. There was no PP check at either counters.
That's perfectly valid. I was referring to OLCI.
Old May 30, 2012, 5:04 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
It probably makes most sense to separate the issue of how you get your BP and the issue of checking ID before boarding.

Mobile BP: most airlines allow mobile BP also for flights from/to USA. In all cases passport data have to be inserted as they will be passed on to US immigration. Air France doesn't have that, but that may be the result of overall poor functionality of AF remote check-in possibilities or for a tendency of doing this "for security" without thinking of whether it actually makes a difference.

Print out BP at home: same as above. AFAIK even Air France allows that for flights to/from USA. I have not taken AF across the pond for more than 2 years, but I seem to remember that on my most recent trips I was able to print a real BP - not only a "check in confirmation/pick up your BP at the check-in counter" - from my PC. Not sure whether AF has done away with another absurdity that existed at least some years ago at JFK (and maybe other US gateways?): you could check in online, but it was impossible to retrieve the BP from the self service machines that were standing next to the CKI counters. Basically the self service machines could not deliver BP at all

Whichever form of CKI you choose, for flights to the US there is an ID check that is performed at the departure gate. A person working for a security firm on behalf of US immigration checks ID and BP, and I think they often machine-read the passport as well for data transmission. That check has nothing to do with how you check in, it is done for ALL passengers. Even for those that have already shown their ID at the check in counter. Sure, it is a double check, but the first check is done by the airline, the second one on behalf of the US government. Between the large number of redundant checks that are done at AF in CDG that one more doesn't make a difference.

The situation described earlier on for flights with Emirates (which by the way also exists for Qatar Airways): these companies require your passport data for CKI. But it is sufficient for the airline to see the passport, there is no further party involved. Thus: if you check in at the counter, you show your ID, and that's it. If you check in online or on your mobile phone, you enter the passport data, but then you have to show it to a gate agent at the departure airport. I remember having experienced that for some flights in the last couple of weeks for Emirates, where I had to show the passport after OLCI at the gate (Munich) or at the Emirates lounge (London Heathrow), and also with Qatar Airways (Milan), but not leaving on Qatar Airways from Paris CDG or for flights leaving from DXB where all I had was my mobile BP. Indeed, as observed by Richelieu, it does defeat the purpose of OLCI.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 10:47 am
Suspended

I'm a little unclear on this.

I need to get a visa which will entail me being without my UK passport for a couple of weeks. Do the AF rules mean that I can travel in the Schengen area without either a passport or identity card?

Is a Carte Vitale or driving license valid ID?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by tranmerechris
I'm a little unclear on this.

I need to get a visa which will entail me being without my UK passport for a couple of weeks. Do the AF rules mean that I can travel in the Schengen area without either a passport or identity card?

Is a Carte Vitale or driving license valid ID?
Certainly not
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:19 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Certainly not
Actually, he asked if he could travel in the Schengen area. I read it as "within" (he's now in the Schengen area, send his passport to get a visa, and asks if he can take a flight from, say, Paris to Frankfurt without a passport). Which isn't the same thing as being in the UK right now and traveling to the Schengen area.

Since there is no ID check at the border between France and Germany, I'd say yes in the former case.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 3:45 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Actually, he asked if he could travel in the Schengen area. I read it as "within" (he's now in the Schengen area, send his passport to get a visa, and asks if he can take a flight from, say, Paris to Frankfurt without a passport). Which isn't the same thing as being in the UK right now and traveling to the Schengen area.

Since there is no ID check at the border between France and Germany, I'd say yes in the former case.
Several issues here:
1) of course the OP can drive between France and Germany, as there are no land border checks
2) but there are countries within the Schengen area where it is a legal requirement to be able to offer proof of your identity at any time to police officers, and facilities, such as some hotels, that have the same requirement; it is debatable whether a UK driver's license would be enough
3) flying between countries within the Schengen area; well, it depends, as airlines can add their own requirements; again, whether a UK driver's license is enough is debatable

With respect to carte vitale, I would agree with Goldorak
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:44 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JOUY31
2) but there are countries within the Schengen area where it is a legal requirement to be able to offer proof of your identity at any time to police officers
And there are some (most?) were a driver's licence is acceptable, like France (if there is a photo on UK's drivers' licence, which I assume but don't know).

, and facilities, such as some hotels, that have the same requirement; it is debatable whether a UK driver's license would be enough
I agree that he could have more problems with hotels than with flying.

[quote]
3) flying between countries within the Schengen area; well, it depends, as airlines can add their own requirements; again, whether a UK driver's license is enough is debatable

I agree that few would identify it and it would cause more problem than a drivers' licence (lack of picture, for example).
Old Aug 18, 2012, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Several issues here:
1) of course the OP can drive between France and Germany, as there are no land border checks
2) but there are countries within the Schengen area where it is a legal requirement to be able to offer proof of your identity at any time to police officers, and facilities, such as some hotels, that have the same requirement; it is debatable whether a UK driver's license would be enough

In my understanding it is quite clear that in any case of identity check, a driver's license would NOT be considered proof of identity at least officially. Whether it would be considered a tolerable alternative is indeed open to guessing.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that few would identify it and it would cause more problem than a drivers' licence (lack of picture, for example).
I thought all Carte Vitale's had pictures nowadays? Mine has for about 2 years now. Minor point though. It still would not be accepted as ID by another country or airline or certainly not at a hotel in Italy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.