FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air France Frequence Plus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus-376/)
-   -   Upgrade from economy to first class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-france-frequence-plus/1340111-upgrade-economy-first-class.html)

strikerbird Apr 26, 2012 8:25 am

Upgrade from economy to first class

Dear all,
A very stupid question, how big the likelihood to get upgraded from Economy class to first Class on Air France?

Sincerely,

SB

LizzyDragon84 Apr 26, 2012 8:36 am

Pretty much zilch unless you're planning to upgrade with a lot of cash or miles.

Pauillac Apr 26, 2012 8:44 am

It is impossible as Y to F now a days is a triple upgrade Y->PV->J->F.

I had the chance very long time ago to travel in F with a very cheap Y ticket but it was a mix of upgrade and luck.
I was first upgraded from Y to J (no PV at that time) due to an overbooked flight . When I sat in my biz seat a guy came to me and asked me if I would mind changing with his seat as he was travelling with the guy next to me (his boss). This guy was upgraded to F so I ended up in F with a very cheap Y ticket. The guy wasn't really happy to go back to J but apparently they had lots of things to discuss during the trip. Very pleasant surprise at the end but probably as frequent as winning the lottery.

Goldorak Apr 26, 2012 10:54 am

Upgrade from economy to first class

Simple answer : zero zero zero.

orbitmic Apr 27, 2012 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 18465444)
Simple answer : zero zero zero.

^ :D

CaptainFabuloso May 9, 2012 11:10 pm

What abt Y to PV? What are the chances? I don't mind paying as long as its reasonable. I am flying from Houston to CDG.

KLflyerRalph May 10, 2012 7:35 am

You might be offered an upgrade by e-mail before your flight or when checking in.

CaptainFabuloso May 10, 2012 9:11 am

Is Premium Voyageur even worth the extra expense ?

MSPeconomist May 10, 2012 10:38 am

Originally Posted by CaptainFabuloso (Post 18549268)
Is Premium Voyageur even worth the extra expense ?

This depends on how much it costs. AF's PV is a separate cabin/class of service, not just seats with a little more legroom. Nonelites might experience some additional ground handling benefits which SkyTeam ElitePlus passengers would get even when flying coach.

Boatboy May 10, 2012 11:37 am

Pigs....Wings.....you do the math!

KLflyerRalph May 10, 2012 12:44 pm

If you want F, buy it. Don't think there is such thing as Y->F.

arkangel May 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph (Post 18550726)
If you want F, buy it. Don't think there is such thing as Y->F.

True, not anymore. But back in the early 70's, when there was no J or PV, I was flying a 707(remember them?) from ORY-JFK and was able to score that upgrade. Due to overbooking, I was the lucky recipient of an F seat on the next flight to JFK - a 747! The upstairs lounge, with the piano bar, was great. They literally had to "pour" me off the plane at JFK. But what an experience!

mr.a May 16, 2012 4:36 am

About a week ago i had a ticket in PV that i, by using miles upgraded to C, then when i came to the gate the machine beeped and said seat change and i was upgraded to F. Quite nice! But just from eco to first is probably impossible.

DaChief May 16, 2012 7:16 am

I am sure if you asked they would give it to you......