Wiki Posts
Search

Change in mid flight offering over 10H30 to China

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life; ALL Platinum
Change in mid flight offering over 10H30 to China

I noticed that in Y, AF no more offer Noodle soup to flight to China overs 10h30 length ; the change seems to have started 1 st of march 12; Instead they offer a sort of mushroom soup done with powder to which hot water is added and some crackers like the one offered with pre meal drink service

On my return flight from HK, no more ice cream as well, but some fruit (pineapple and watermelon wrapped in a small plastic box) and of course no noodle soup ; so i do not know if the ice cream will also disappear of the flight leaving from Paris to long haul destination shortly ; Crew told me it is new and done to save money;

The chinese clientele was not very happy ( and me also i was not happy although i am not chinse! ) about the no more noodle soup strategy; did the 'cost cutter from AF' realize that on these Chinese destinations the chinese clientele represent a large portion of the total travellers...

Did anyone have notice also change in the middle flight snack offering in destination outside of Asia ( like no more ice cream) ?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Typical example of lack of vision. An accountant sais in a meetng "Hey if we cut the noodles we will save ammount X per year, let's do it". He forgets that a seemingly small change can potentially chase away clients.

While I can't deny that costs saving are required with the current financial status of AF, I wonder when will AF start to include a vision in their reorganization plans that will actually attrackt more paying passengers? Wouldn't that be good for the future of the airline as well?
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
The noodle soup is also done with a dried package and hot water. Maybe a few cents more expensive and a few grams heavier. My local friends would be unhappy without noodle soup.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by brunos
The noodle soup is also done with a dried package and hot water. Maybe a few cents more expensive and a few grams heavier. My local friends would be unhappy without noodle soup.
wild guess:

200 passengers X 20grams noodles X 365 flights per year X 4 routes per day = 5840 kilo less weight per year.

200 passengers X 15cents X 365 flights per year X 4 routes per day = 43800 euros per year.

Cultural impact potentially comparable to depriving a Dutchie or a Frenchie from coffee...right...
Old Mar 6, 2012, 8:45 am
Original Poster

The noodle soup package is also very more bulky than the new soup; so also less waste too handle perhaps some savings there too!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Zembla
Cultural impact potentially comparable to depriving a Dutchie or a Frenchie from coffee...right...
Don't give them bad ideas or you might be offered some chicoree on your next flight!
Old Mar 6, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pascalgr
The noodle soup package is also very more bulky than the new soup; so also less waste too handle perhaps some savings there too!
The instant noodle soup also (usually) requires to open and mix two bags of dried food, so a little more work for the FAs.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:49 am

Programs: FB Plat for life
how long the champagne in Y will last with such trends?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brunos
The instant noodle soup also (usually) requires to open and mix two bags of dried food, so a little more work for the FAs.
Hi Brunos,

on AF it is a plastic box where they add hot water, there is no mixture involved; for the new soup they put the powder in a plastic glass ( same size as a glass of water) and add hot water... so even more work for them! i hope not a reason for a new strike ! ( joke !)
Old Mar 7, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: FB PLATINUM IHG ACCOR
Not sure if pax are really less happy;
KLM stopped offering noodles about one year ago and no major complaints acoording to local staff. But a saving yes. Alternatively at Finnair you can buy them on board ...
Another reason to get rid of the noodles not mentioned here yet is that many passengers and crew burned themselves during or while preparing noodleservice ( dangerous during turbulence
Old Mar 7, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by splflyer
Another reason to get rid of the noodles not mentioned here yet is that many passengers and crew burned themselves during or while preparing noodleservice ( dangerous during turbulence
Same if a pax orders some tea (not very strange for Chinese?) mid-flight, no?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 4:08 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by pascalgr
Hi Brunos,

on AF it is a plastic box where they add hot water, there is no mixture involved; for the new soup they put the powder in a plastic glass ( same size as a glass of water) and add hot water... so even more work for them! i hope not a reason for a new strike ! ( joke !)
Yes more work....but remember the FAs are already there and paid for ! So airline saves.

Tgis trend of "decontent" will continue till an airline decides to do "New &Improved " service with "Enhanced " features like real Noodle. Soup"!
Old Mar 8, 2012, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Each cost-cutting might appear small, and even irrelevant to some pax. But when you add them up and see that they all come at the expense of customers not AF staff ... AF products have badly deteriorated in the past few years!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.