Help with trip cancellation

Old Feb 16, 2019, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Help with trip cancellation

I had an Air France flight scheduled from Barcelona to Detroit, with a stop in Paris. The flight from Paris to Detroit got cancelled due to plane issues and will require overnight stay. I was automatically booked on another plane tomorrow from Paris to Amsterdam, then Amsterdam to Detroit. I'm confused about Air France's cancellation policy. They seem to indicate they provide hotel logging and meals under the cancellation assistance policy and then cash compensation under the cancellation compensation policy.

Do you get both the assistance with hotel/food and cash? Also, if they do provide cash compensation, I'm confused about the amount. Their website says:

​Compensation amounts (cash):
- A Flights up to 1,500 km: *250
- B Flights within the EU of more than 1,500 km, and all other flights
between 1,500 and 3,500 km: *400
- C Non-EU flights of more than 3,500 km: *600

Since the flight that got cancelled was from Paris to Detroit, is that considered Non-EU?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: FB PFL, TK Gold, PC Platinum
Yes, you will get hotel and food. You are also entitled to 600 euro (according to EC 261) or a voucher for 800 euro. It quite easy on AF, just fill in the form on their webpage
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by jeam0202
I had an Air France flight scheduled from Barcelona to Detroit, with a stop in Paris. The flight from Paris to Detroit got cancelled due to plane issues and will require overnight stay. I was automatically booked on another plane tomorrow from Paris to Amsterdam, then Amsterdam to Detroit. I'm confused about Air France's cancellation policy. They seem to indicate they provide hotel logging and meals under the cancellation assistance policy and then cash compensation under the cancellation compensation policy.

Do you get both the assistance with hotel/food and cash? Also, if they do provide cash compensation, I'm confused about the amount. Their website says:

​Compensation amounts (cash):
- A Flights up to 1,500 km: *250
- B Flights within the EU of more than 1,500 km, and all other flights
between 1,500 and 3,500 km: *400
- C Non-EU flights of more than 3,500 km: *600

Since the flight that got cancelled was from Paris to Detroit, is that considered Non-EU?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Duty of Care is always something they have to provide under EC261/2004, regarding compensation, yes it is a Non-EU flight, but whether they have to pay the compensation depends on the reason of cancellation and if your flight arrives more than 4 hours late.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by glennhaak
Duty of Care is always something they have to provide under EC261/2004, regarding compensation, yes it is a Non-EU flight, but whether they have to pay the compensation depends on the reason of cancellation and if your flight arrives more than 4 hours late.
It was delayed more than 10 hours due to a mechanical problem. Seems they didn't have the right mechanic to fix it or the mechanic on staff was unable to fix it. We were on the plane for over 2 hours before they finally gave up and told everyone to get off.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:57 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
CDG-DTW went mechanical

Was also on the flight. Rear cargo door would not latch. They removed all of the ULD's and tried to get it closed manually. This worked so they opened it up again to re-load the ULD's and found out that the whole system that moves the ULD's around was out of service and not just the latching motor. Thus they cancelled the flight.

Getting everybody to 2E check-in 10-11 for re-booking was a bit of a herding cats event with various staff stationed en route but only providing information when asked. Once in the check-in pens, a multitude of staff provided chairs and water to those who wanted and after 15min or so some service carts showed up with chips and various refreshments.

Most of the Delta passengers slowed things down by ringing Delta in the US which caused chaos as multiple agents were working on the same pax at the same time. It took about 45min to an hour and we were rebooked on AF6 to JFK the next day and headed to the hotel.

Multiple mails from AF, poor communication by ground staff and maybe not enough staff to re-book 315 passengers. It wasnt a disaster, but it shows that there is still a fair amount of progress needed.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bankops
Was also on the flight. Rear cargo door would not latch. They removed all of the ULD's and tried to get it closed manually. This worked so they opened it up again to re-load the ULD's and found out that the whole system that moves the ULD's around was out of service and not just the latching motor. Thus they cancelled the flight.

Getting everybody to 2E check-in 10-11 for re-booking was a bit of a herding cats event with various staff stationed en route but only providing information when asked. Once in the check-in pens, a multitude of staff provided chairs and water to those who wanted and after 15min or so some service carts showed up with chips and various refreshments.

Most of the Delta passengers slowed things down by ringing Delta in the US which caused chaos as multiple agents were working on the same pax at the same time. It took about 45min to an hour and we were rebooked on AF6 to JFK the next day and headed to the hotel.

Multiple mails from AF, poor communication by ground staff and maybe not enough staff to re-book 315 passengers. It wasnt a disaster, but it shows that there is still a fair amount of progress needed.
Wow, you know a lot about the situation. I thought they said something about not having the correct mechanic on site to fix the issue? Also, do you think this will quality for a 261/2004 claim?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum | Flying Blue Petroleum | Hilton Gold | Marriott Gold | Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by jeam0202
Also, do you think this will quality for a 261/2004 claim?
I would think so yes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.