Paris-Ile Maurice in Affaires: 24 euros

Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:12 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
I can understand the frustration among the posters concerning the initial post, but I also sense a bit of envy. We don't know what deals were made upon him leaving AF and what his termination letter included of perks.

It could very well be like the bonus' being paid out to bankers/CEOs/VP's etc which we read about during the top of the recession (is it still on or off?) but what we didn't learn about were their legally biding contracts which gave them the right to get these payments (after all we live in a society where laws are respected - or at least should be respected).

One comment about his salary and him being able to pay for the tickets full price himself kind of struck me as odd, as anyone would try and get a good deal for as little as humanly possible no matter how much money one would have...

This said, I'm not defending any actions by Mr. PHG
Old Feb 20, 2012, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Cupart
I can understand the frustration among the posters concerning the initial post, but I also sense a bit of envy. We don't know what deals were made upon him leaving AF and what his termination letter included of perks.

It could very well be like the bonus' being paid out to bankers/CEOs/VP's etc which we read about during the top of the recession (is it still on or off?) but what we didn't learn about were their legally biding contracts which gave them the right to get these payments (after all we live in a society where laws are respected - or at least should be respected).

One comment about his salary and him being able to pay for the tickets full price himself kind of struck me as odd, as anyone would try and get a good deal for as little as humanly possible no matter how much money one would have...

No, absolutely no envy on my part.

From what I have read in the press, it would seem (as you state above) that access to these fares was negotiated as part of his severance/retirement package. That's fine, and I'm sure it's all written up very nicely in the contracts.

My problem with this whole incident is what I wrote in my original post: it's more of "Do as I say, not as I do" in the context of some pretty drastic austerity measures being proposed by AF management (including a complete renegotiation of all existing labor agreements which will obviously affect employee benefits such as reduced fares, particularly the R1 High fares which is apparently just the fare PHG was scheduled to fly on).

One would think that in light of these proposed austerity measures and the more than likely acrimonious (and perhaps protracted) negotiations involved therewith, AF management (both current and former) would be striving to set examples, at least for the time being, and regardless of what's written in their contracts. That just strikes me as basic common sense (and decency).
Old Feb 20, 2012, 4:11 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Cupart

I agree with you that jealousy and envy are widespread in France and explain many a public outcry. "Justice" is often understood as everybody having more or less the same result irrespective of prior effort, achievement and risk taken, not a remuneration that is in line with effort, achievement and risk taken. The current witch hunt against "the rich" and the financial communicy bears witness to that. Obviously with the wide-spread absurdity of not being applied to people where the mathematical ratio of "revenue/(IQ+responsibility)" is very high, such as football players. Also, I am all for the respect of contractual agreements.

But: whilst I am all against the trottoir running the economy I strongly do believe in responsibility by entrepreneurs and economic leaders. And in this particular case PHG has shown a striking lack of tact, responsibilily and leadership. Getting an exemption - i.e. something that is even beyond his already generous golden parachute - to use a fare that is being done away with for the rest of AF employees is just bad style. I do understand that he probably got it before the abandon of R1 fares was announced publicly, but then he should have reacted the moment AF restructuring plans were made public.

But then, in France it is quite common for the ruling elite to believe that they are a caste in their own right and have special rights. Just this weekend I had to explain to some people why the President of Germany stepped down: because he had received a free upgrade from Eco to Business on an Air Berlin flight to Florida, because he had received a loan from a friend who happens to be also a businessman, and because he left a message to the editor of the country's biggest newspaper asking him to further postpone an article about these things, thus infringing into press freedom. In France, any local politician would stage a scandal if he wasn't upgraded, Sarko's proximity and favours to business people is legendary (Bollor's yacht etc.), and posts like the CEO of the country's biggest private TV station or some newspaper are staffed only after approval from the Elyse. What I want to say by this: PHG behaved perfectly in line with most other French leaders from the business and political community (who are often the same anyway).

Last edited by San Gottardo; Feb 20, 2012 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
(...)Lorsqu'ils voyagent en GP, les anciens cadres prennent souvent des billets en classe co, soit 400 euros l'aller-retour pour l'le Maurice, calcule un salari de l'entreprise. Une fois dans l'avion, ils se font surclasser s'il y a des places disponibles l'avant de l'appareil. ...
Note that last sentence which describes exactly what AF keep telling us is NOT happening despite FTers witnessing it on nearly every flight...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 8:27 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by creber
I do understand that he probably got it before the abandon of R1 fares was announced publicly, but then he should have reacted the moment AF restructuring plans were made public.
Regardless of what I may think of PHG's tenure as AF CEO, given the way he has been dismissed by the board and its chairman, I would guess he (rightly IMO) feels he doesn't owe much, if anything, to the company, especially if the special conditions on flights are part of his severance package. Loyalty is a two-way street, and I don't think PHG now feels much loyalty to the AF board of directors.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:35 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
I don't mind having AF staff or ex staff getting free tickets... but they should pay the same taxes as frequent fliers, taking the point of view that both staff and frequent travellers deserve their free ticket. 275 EUR fuel surcharge for a one way flight in business class Montreal-Paris... even worse than I thought!

What I would like to know about PHG to MRU, is which flight he booked: AF operated or MK operated I sat once on the MK operated flight next to a GP that got upgraded while the rest of the family stayed in eco. She told me her son is a pilot at AF and he made sure they would fly on Air Mauritius rather than AF that leaves at a similar time...
Old Feb 21, 2012, 3:48 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ranskis
I don't mind having AF staff or ex staff getting free tickets... but they should pay the same taxes as frequent fliers, taking the point of view that both staff and frequent travellers deserve their free ticket. 275 EUR fuel surcharge for a one way flight in business class Montreal-Paris... even worse than I thought!
Ah, maybe this is the (hidden) reason for why the rest of us mortals are forced to pay the fuel surcharge ---- to cover for AF staff/friends/family members etc
Old Feb 21, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by ranskis
What I would like to know about PHG to MRU, is which flight he booked: AF operated or MK operated I sat once on the MK operated flight next to a GP that got upgraded while the rest of the family stayed in eco. She told me her son is a pilot at AF and he made sure they would fly on Air Mauritius rather than AF that leaves at a similar time...
Air Mauritius is pissed at AF for their code-share on CDG-MRU route. They claim (with unreasonable doubt) there are too many staff tickets on AF block seat on MK operated aircrafts. Most of the people at AF book on MK as the aircraft is better. They usually do MK for CDG-MRU (assistance is made by AF at CDG) and AF for MRU-CDG (to maximize their chance of boarding or getting an upgrade).
Old Feb 21, 2012, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Sad to see how French govt officials and high-ups like PHG always find a good excuse for their shameful behavior. Now it is because he has been been let go without enough flowers.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.