Air France rules for paid upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Air France rules for paid upgrades

General Conditions of Sale for Exceptional Upgrades

What is the Upgrade Option?

The Upgrade Option lets you purchase a guaranteed upgrade at an attractive price. You can then take advantage of the onboard and airport services corresponding to your upgrade cabin, and you also receive the baggage allowance* for that cabin.

Did you book a ticket in the Voyageur cabin? You can purchase an upgrade for the Premium Voyageur or Affaires cabins. If you booked a ticket in the Premium Voyageur cabin, the Upgrade Option allows you to travel in the Affaires cabin. Upgrades for the La Première cabin are not available.

Please note: Flying Blue members earn Miles corresponding to their original travel class.

* Baggage allowance corresponds to the number and weight of baggage items you are allowed to transport in the hold at no extra charge.
How do I take advantage of the Upgrade Option?

All long-haul flights operated by Air France or another airline and all flights with an Air France flight number are eligible for this offer. Only a limited number of upgrades are available. For organizational reasons, the offer is not available to:

passengers who make special requests when booking,
passengers traveling as a group.

Upgrades are not transferable.
If you are eligible for the offer, Air France will send you an upgrade offer by e-mail 7 days before your departure.
If interested, simply sign up and indicate your preferred upgrade cabin. Air France will then contact you within 5 days prior to your departure. Depending on availability, you will know if you have received an upgrade:

If we are able to offer you an upgrade, we will contact you by telephone*. You can then pay for the upgrade option immediately by telephone with your credit card. You will then receive a confirmation e-mail. Upgrades are confirmed only if Air France contacts you by telephone.
If no upgrades are available, Air France will send you an e-mail* stating that it was not able to meet your upgrade request.

* Telephone calls can be conducted in French and English.
Payment options

The Upgrade Option fee is per person and per flight. This option can only be paid for by credit card (in euros).
It is not possible to redeem Flying Blue Miles as payment for the offer. Flying Blue customers can always benefit from premium upgrades through their loyalty program.
More information on baggage allowance and upgrades

For technical reasons, the baggage allowance corresponding to your upgrade cabin does not appear on your ticket or travel memo.

However, the baggage allowances for the Premium Voyageur and Affaires cabins are listed in the e-mail offering the upgrade (sent 7 days prior to your departure):

A trip in the Premium Voyageur cabin enables you to transport 2 baggage items weighing 23 kg maximum each.
A trip in the Affaires cabin enables you to transport 2 baggage items weighing 32 kg maximum each.

Furthermore, the baggage allowance for your upgrade cabin is clearly indicated in the confirmation e-mail you receive once the transaction is complete.
Changes and refunds

The Upgrade Option cannot be transferred to another flight and cannot be refunded.
For all additional questions, please contact: [email protected]
Old Jan 9, 2012, 8:23 am
Original Poster

It would be interesting to know the upgrade price for different flights and classes (Premium and Business)
Is that the same for everybody?
If you had a proposition, please let us know.
Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Available for Classic award in eco from CDG-JFK: +139€ in Premium, + 279€ in Business
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
This has been in effect for quite a while and mentioned in various threads.
Old Jan 16, 2012, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by delanotre
General Conditions of Sale for Exceptional Upgrades
Thank you for the info. I'm looking to book an economy ticket and would love to pay for the extra upgrade. Is there a fare class I should be booking in order to be eligible for a cash upgrade? I have no status on AF so a miles upgrade isn't an option for me

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2012, 1:05 am

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor ALL Platinum, Marriott silver, Hilton, Meliá silver.
Originally Posted by brandkb
(...)I have no status on AF so a miles upgrade isn't an option for me Thanks!
What makes you think something like this? If you have enough miles and your fare allows upgrade and seats are available for upgrade in the next class of service (O in c class unless I am mistaken), you can upgrade at any time.

Y and B fare classes (expensive) allow for upgrade with miles. Maybe other fares do. You have to ask the sales desk.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brandkb
Thank you for the info. I'm looking to book an economy ticket and would love to pay for the extra upgrade. Is there a fare class I should be booking in order to be eligible for a cash upgrade? I have no status on AF so a miles upgrade isn't an option for me Thanks!
The information that I gave is independant of the ticket fare you paid.
Around 7 days before your flight, you could receive an upgrade proposition if you are selected by Air France. Nobody knows how the choice is made...
Thats why I asked for people concerned, to have a precise idea of that choice.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: FB Plat / SPG Plat / Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by delanotre
Around 7 days before your flight, you could receive an upgrade proposition if you are selected by Air France. Nobody knows how the choice is made...
After a few months this paying upgrade has been put in place, does anybody have any guess / experience how the choice is made ?
Also, is there any reason why this offer would not be proposed to passengers sitting in emergency exit rows ?
Old Jul 14, 2012, 1:44 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by Pwrzecio
After a few months this paying upgrade has been put in place, does anybody have any guess / experience how the choice is made ?
My wife, traveling in O (award ticket classic) on ICN-GRU (via CDG, obviously, for 100k miles all the way) received over email 6 days before the flight an offer to upgrade to La Premiere for 1500 EUR on each leg (1500 eur for ICN-CDG and then another 1500 for CDG-GRU).

So here are a few things to note:
- upgrades to P can be offered
- they can be offered even if you're on an award ticket
- ... they don't seem worth it. For 2 passengers traveling together, I looked it up, the whole round trip in La Premiere would have been ~10000 eur for 2, if I recall correctly.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Vitali
My wife, traveling in O (award ticket classic) on ICN-GRU (via CDG, obviously, for 100k miles all the way) received over email 6 days before the flight an offer to upgrade to La Premiere for 1500 EUR on each leg (1500 eur for ICN-CDG and then another 1500 for CDG-GRU).

So here are a few things to note:
- upgrades to P can be offered
- they can be offered even if you're on an award ticket
- ... they don't seem worth it. For 2 passengers traveling together, I looked it up, the whole round trip in La Premiere would have been ~10000 eur for 2, if I recall correctly.
There is another thread currently discussing that (and indeed confirming all the things you are saying above).
Old Jul 15, 2012, 3:17 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Thanks, and sorry. I got into this thread via a link from a post in the "main" Flying Blue forum. I should be checking the AF sub-forum more often...
Old Jul 24, 2012, 2:39 am

Programs: DL FO
A friend of mine was offered an upgrade on a CDG-NRT flight from Y to J. He took the offer but know, FB is denying him any mileage, even the one from the original booking class.
Has anyone ever got problem with mileage credit?

Thanks.

Edit: The problem is now solved. He get the miles from his original fare bucket.

Last edited by GuillaumeD; Aug 1, 2012 at 4:19 am
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:07 pm

AF cash upgrade

Hello, since I have no AF status, just csa skyteam gold, I'm hardly considering a cash upgrade on my af 65 flight lax-cdg. The flight is on a AZ ticket.

Can I upgrade the leg already now (is there a price difference between af AZ or even csa), or is it cheaper at the gate, risking not to get a seat in business class? Or do they have a auction system?

Unfortunately iI'm new to af...
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
are there any recent reports on cash upgrades on AF (frequency of offerings, cost by route)? i'm flying MSP-CDG and CDG-LAX in premium economy and hoping to be offered a cash upgrade to J.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
are there any recent reports on cash upgrades on AF (frequency of offerings, cost by route)? i'm flying MSP-CDG and CDG-LAX in premium economy and hoping to be offered a cash upgrade to J.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...s-cash-af.html
kthomas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.