Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air France has invited Air-India for talks to join SkyTeam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2011, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
The first article is from September 2002.

The second one is actually current, but purely talks about AI initiating discussions with SkyTeam.

Having been given the boot (again) by Star - for not meeting the requirements for entry - including financial stability - AI is now desperate.

I disagree with N830MH that AI are doing "just fine". Unless by "just fine" you mean having to cancel large portions of your flight schedule due to lack of cash to operate the flights, having aircraft delayed due to airport refuellers refusing to fuel the aircraft without up front payment, and yes, crews/staff not getting paid.

YMMV, but I'd be wary about traveling on any airline in such a financial position, let alone welcoming them into a major global alliance.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by mtkeller
My take on things is that the Indian government is going to be begging to get AI into an alliance right now.
Why AI is continued to begging all of the time? AI wants to join the Star but, AI was rejected the application. AI didn't work out very well this time. Let's try to find something else. Obviously, AI will expected to join the Skyteam, if necessary. If they approved it.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:31 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by netfishpanda
Skyteam is like that ugly girls' sorority.
Yes, but they have pleasing personalities and make all their own clothes.

AI is a perfect fit for ST - The What's Leftover Alliance.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:49 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Amazing.....ST continues to scrape the bottom of the barrel trying to find someone to join the alliance.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Paddlenpedal
I wish they'd add a partner to Australia! I go to Perth a few times a year on business, and have to fly another airline. (yes, DL goes to Sydney, but then I'd have to get bags, check back in on another regional carrier, etc...I prefer 1 airline start-finish) Guess I'll keep going AA through BNE or SYD, until DL starts flying to somewhere other than just SYD in the land down under.
CZ starts service to PER from CAN in November (looks like 3x weekly A333). Future ST member GA flies there from DPS (3x daily 738) and CGK (1x daily 738). Of course, GA doesn't fly to North America yet, so you'd have to do some weird connection to really make that work out, I guess.

I'd love to see VA/DJ brought into SkyTeam, but they're playing the field too much right now to even think that we might get them any time soon.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I'd love to see VA/DJ brought into SkyTeam, but they're playing the field too much right now to even think that we might get them any time soon.
THAT would be a partner that would bennefit me. One can hope....
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Paddlenpedal
THAT would be a partner that would bennefit me. One can hope....
Maybe for the time being keep your fingers crossed that the JV they've signed with DL will let you earn MQMs. I don't recall which routes they plan to codeshare on, but PER seems like a natural destination to be covered.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:29 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Maybe for the time being keep your fingers crossed that the JV they've signed with DL will let you earn MQMs. I don't recall which routes they plan to codeshare on, but PER seems like a natural destination to be covered.
Wow, I thought it was just talk, didn't even realize there was a joint venture! Last time I checked on a flight to PER was before the code sharing started apparently, and PER wasn't even a destination option, just SYD-I was going to have to fly AA.....ended up not going anyway, but will have to at least twice before the end of the year-Hopefully you're right, if I can get MQM's on this deal, this is terrific news! Anyone know anything about MQM's on Virgin Australia?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:34 am

*A: Sorry, but even that we want access to the Indian market dearly, you're just too crap to make it, AI. MS is as low as we go, and you're quite below that. Auf Wiedersehen.

ST: Hey AI, wanna join our cool alliance? We got like lots of cool members.. you can hang around like with Air Koryo and stuff.. all very decent and safe airlines. Bonjour.

OW: Is it tea time yet?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:38 am

Location: CTU/TFU(Chengdu, Sichuan, China) - MIG (Mianyang, Sichuan, China) - EWR/JFK/LGA/HPN (Great New York City Metro Area, NY, USA) - HVN/BDL (New Haven/Hartford, CT, USA)
Programs: UA 1MM/F9 Diamond; Marriott Lifetime Gold; IHG Platinum; Choice Privileges Platinum
Having flown all three Indian airlines (Air India-AI, KingFisher-IT and Jet Airways-9W), I do think AI is a best choice for Skyteam, as AI's quality matches the low quality of new Skyteam members (e.g. China Eastern, Vietnam Airlines). Both KingFisher and Jet Airways are high quality airlines, they are too good for Skyteam. Jet Airways could potentially be an excellent StarAlliance member.

The situation in India will be very similar to the situation in China (StarAlliance got Air China -- above average for Chinese carriers, OneWorld will hopefully get Hainan - the only five-star Chinese airline and Skyteam got China Southern (not bad but worse than Air China, thinking about their 3-4-3 configured B777-200ER as an example) and China Eastern (below average for Chinese carriers)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.