Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
5000 miles en route, about the same as SFO-CDG. If I saw either of those offers on the SFO route, I'd certainly be tempted by them. Both are very competitive.
Thanks my only concern is the J on the 777 with no aisle access.

​​​​Am I right in thinking that if I do upgrade I'll get business class miles too? or not? I never did an upgrade on AF so not sure how it works.

Also which one of the two offers would you go for?
Old Sep 8, 2017, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Danusa86
Am I right in thinking that if I do upgrade I'll get business class miles too? or not?
No. You'll get the miles of your originally booked fare.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Thanks my only concern is the J on the 777 with no aisle access.

​​​​Am I right in thinking that if I do upgrade I'll get business class miles too? or not? I never did an upgrade on AF so not sure how it works.

Also which one of the two offers would you go for?
I quite like J on the 777 but W is also good. Depends on your budget and desires I guess. I'd definitely take the W offer and would be most tempted by the J offer.
Old Sep 8, 2017, 9:54 pm

Thanks, honestly with no extra miles I do not see why I should take the C offer. Old product and day flights don't really make that attractive without the miles. Will have a think about the W instead.

A bit delusional from AF not to give any extra mile though. It's not an op-up, they're asking you extra cash ... BA always give me extra miles when I take their offers.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 3:55 am

Thanks, honestly with no extra miles I do not see why I should take the C offer. Old product and day flights don't really make that attractive without the miles. Will have a think about the W instead.

A bit delusional from AF not to give any extra mile though. It's not an op-up, they're asking you extra cash ... BA always give me extra miles when I take their offers.
Even the "old" product J seats are still very nice, and as for the miles, Kudos on BA but I don't think AF is delusional, you might be paying 700€ for your Y ticket and an additional 332€ for the upgrade, this is still a far shot from the 3,5K€ the ticket is sold for otherwise, so you don't get extra miles...
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
As this thread is close to 800 posts, with mixed comments and upgrade offers, I am proposing to create a Wiki with the routes / upgrade prices / month-year when the offer was received. I can volunteer to compile the data and create the first version, and then we continue to add the upgrade offers to the wiki. Anyone seconds the motion?
Hoyaheel, Goldorak, Klems and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by SDQBound
As this thread is close to 800 posts, with mixed comments and upgrade offers, I am proposing to create a Wiki with the routes / upgrade prices / month-year when the offer was received. I can volunteer to compile the data and create the first version, and then we continue to add the upgrade offers to the wiki. Anyone seconds the motion?
Support
Slussen likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2017, 4:20 pm

Question. How can I know if the 777 has the old or new C class seats? AF125 tomorrow morning (11/09)
Old Sep 10, 2017, 12:13 am

Question. How can I know if the 777 has the old or new C class seats? AF125 tomorrow morning (11/09)
You can tell by the seat map when you pick your seats. If it's in a 1-2-1 configuration, it's the new seats.
Otherwise you can also just go to AF website, and see the little icon next to your flight. If it says "Design by" -> updated cabin. If it just says B777 it's the old one. Unfortunately, it looks like for AF125 it's the old one.
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:59 pm

Agreed, for a flight this long those are good offers. Then the choice between premium and J depends on you, your spending ability and how much more comfort you want on that particular flight.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: FB Plat
Few days ago (K fare), CDG-ATL Y->W for 329€ and Y->J (old seat) for >700€. Obviously didn't take it.
JFK-CDG Y->W for 159€. Was tempted but didn't take it either considering all the bad review I've read so far about the seat for night flight... and eventually spent a good flight on the upper Y cabin nonetheless.

Note that only the Y->W upgrade for CDG-ATL leg was proposed as soon as OLCI opened. Others were only displayed on the app a few hours before departure.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:40 am

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Porcepic
Few days ago (K fare), CDG-ATL Y->W for 329€ and Y->J (old seat) for >700€. Obviously didn't take it.
JFK-CDG Y->W for 159€. Was tempted but didn't take it either considering all the bad review I've read so far about the seat for night flight... and eventually spent a good flight on the upper Y cabin nonetheless.

Note that only the Y->W upgrade for CDG-ATL leg was proposed as soon as OLCI opened. Others were only displayed on the app a few hours before departure.
JFK-CDG for 159€ is a deal I would take any day. Despite all the bad reviews around, I personally believe that W is better than Y and for a 7-hour flight is worth the upgrade.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:42 am

CDG-FCO on 15/9 and FCO-CDG on 17/9

Y-C: 89 Euros

No Exceptional Upgrade banner, however, you could select a Business seat directly from the seatmap and the price was quoted.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by SDQBound
CDG-FCO on 15/9 and FCO-CDG on 17/9

Y-C: 89 Euros

No Exceptional Upgrade banner, however, you could select a Business seat directly from the seatmap and the price was quoted.
not too bad IMO
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
not too bad IMO
Took FCO-CDG just for curiosity, as I've only been in KL Business but not AF intra-schengen. I realized that an upgrade in AA domestic is USD45 for every 500 miles and most of the time I request it, so decided to try AF and IMHO it was worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.