Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades for Cash on AF??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2011, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Kölner
Then I hope they will call me on my mobile!

But there is still the question WHY? Is Premium Voyageur on 21.12. full or Affaires empty?
According to expertflyer.com -- PV has 12 available seats and Affaires has 24 available seats on flt AF06.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
€139 is an extremely good deal. PV is basically Y, but Affaires is a totally different product: Alomst twice the space, lie-flat seat, decent food,...
AF has a very difficult time getting decent load in its J, in part because of the poor product (anyone paying big money is looking for good product), in part because of the economy. And their A388 has so many premium seats that it must be distressing for them.
Many airlines are offering good deals on their premium products because of the slowing economy. To my Asia region, you can get EK Biz from CDG at 1700 nett. From HKG you can fly luxurious SQ J for €2800 nett (used to be over €4000). And we are talking about 13hours flight, not 7 hours as from JFK. So AF has to do something and get some money.
I don't know how much you paid for PV, but if you had your PV fare plus 2x139, you probably end up with a reasonable discounted Z fare. Y seems quite full on AF006, so they'd rather get 139 than opup pax for free.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 14, 2011 at 9:52 pm
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by jimd999
According to expertflyer.com -- PV has 12 available seats and Affaires has 24 available seats on flt AF06.
how can you check the flight load using EF ?
i subscribed to their premium service but can not see where to check...
Old Dec 16, 2011, 1:33 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Mynameismud
how can you check the flight load using EF ?
i subscribed to their premium service but can not see where to check...
Using a combination of data (W9 Y9 B7 etc...) + cabin map showing occupied seats.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 2:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is not an information that is available, at least not exactly. Even when an airline is fully booked in Y, it will often state some seats available in Y (e.g. Y9), simply because of yield management. For example it will still sell some seats in expensive economy fare buckets when the flight is already fully booked in economy (or overbooked) 1) because there will be cancellation and 2) it can upgrade pax to higher classes. The way many of us use EF is to count the number of seats not assigned on the seat map. This does not work too well in Y (as some pax do not get seats preassigned), but works well in higher classes.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
This is not an information that is available, at least not exactly. Even when an airline is fully booked in Y, it will often state some seats available in Y (e.g. Y9), simply because of yield management. For example it will still sell some seats in expensive economy fare buckets when the flight is already fully booked in economy (or overbooked) 1) because there will be cancellation and 2) it can upgrade pax to higher classes. The way many of us use EF is to count the number of seats not assigned on the seat map. This does not work too well in Y (as some pax do not get seats preassigned), but works well in higher classes.
Exactly. Plus Y9 B9... N7 R2 doesn't give you any information on seats truly left: they are neither additionable nor fully superimposed, nor do airlines say by how many seats they are willing to oversell across circumstances. Seats shown as available on the seatmap is an equally poor indicator of actual availability: many people won't pre-assign a seat at all (especially on European airlines). AFAIK, only airlines' professional systems provide actual loads on given flights and no freely available tool does.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: FB Plat / SPG Plat / Hilton Silver
This looks to be a fantastic deal.
I wish I could get the same one day...
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Exactly. Plus Y9 B9... N7 R2 doesn't give you any information on seats truly left: they are neither additionable nor fully superimposed, nor do airlines say by how many seats they are willing to oversell across circumstances. Seats shown as available on the seatmap is an equally poor indicator of actual availability: many people won't pre-assign a seat at all (especially on European airlines). AFAIK, only airlines' professional systems provide actual loads on given flights and no freely available tool does.
I usually agree with you, but my experience on LH is a bit different regarding seat maps. The post was about giving availability in LH premium cabins. I found that on LH, business pax tend to always assign seats. And if they (or their TA) do not do it directly at time of booking, most airlines preassign them a seat. So the seat map is quite accurate about available seats in J or F (and Y+).
But you are quite right that systems available to TA and the public only post availability up to 9.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 3:22 pm

Today I got a call from Air France. And even if my English is not so good I've done it! Now I fly in Affaires.
After the call i got only one small E-Mail ("Your upgrade to the
Affaires cabin"). Is that normal, shouldn't I get also a new "Memo Voyage Billet PDF"?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by bodory
Using a combination of data (W9 Y9 B7 etc...) + cabin map showing occupied seats.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I usually agree with you, but my experience on LH is a bit different regarding seat maps. The post was about giving availability in LH premium cabins. I found that on LH, business pax tend to always assign seats. And if they (or their TA) do not do it directly at time of booking, most airlines preassign them a seat. So the seat map is quite accurate about available seats in J or F (and Y+).
But you are quite right that systems available to TA and the public only post availability up to 9.
That's what i thought, only Airlines GDS can provide those details
Thanks all for pointing out how you are using EF to estimate loads
Old Dec 16, 2011, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Kölner
Today I got a call from Air France. And even if my English is not so good I've done it! Now I fly in Affaires.
After the call i got only one small E-Mail ("Your upgrade to the
Affaires cabin"). Is that normal, shouldn't I get also a new "Memo Voyage Billet PDF"?
i don't think tickets are re-issued
Old Dec 17, 2011, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mynameismud
i don't think tickets are re-issued
I think tickets are reissued but the PNR is unchanged. I would think that you will get a new memo voyage once the ticket is issued (with a new ticket number). In any case check on manage my booking on the AF website. Sometimes one need the new ticket number to OLCI.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 7:45 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Hello, I got this email today for my Dec 25th YUL-CDG (then onwards to Malaga) flight on the A380, 298 euros from regular economy to Affaires. I paid around CAN$750 for this ticket so I really hope I get in on this.

Also only lowly Ivory in FP if that matters

EDIT: Corrected price, it was 298 euros,

Last edited by Admiral Ackbar; Dec 19, 2011 at 1:30 pm
Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by newbie elite
Hello, I got this email today for my Dec 25th YUL-CDG (then onwards to Malaga) flight on the A380, 398 euros from regular economy to Affaires. I paid around CAN$750 for this ticket so I really hope I get in on this.

Also only lowly Ivory in FP if that matters
pretty good offer, since the Y fare must be a bit more than CAN$750..
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: FB Plat / SPG Plat / Hilton Silver
Has anybody received a proposal for a paid-upgrade to first, so far ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.