Wiki Posts
Search

Economy on the AF A380, IAD-CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2011, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
Economy on the AF A380, IAD-CDG

I was looking at flying IAD – CDG in the Fall when AirFrance will be flying the new A380 on that route, and see that they are charging over $4000 RT economy during that period (economy on most of the other direct flights on more ordinary craft is generally around $900 at the moment – even OpenSkies is only about $1500 for its business seats). What gives with that? Do they think they are going to fill the plane at that price? Or is economy more like business class on the A380? Maybe I am missing something, or maybe they will have to drop the prices later to fill the plane.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 9:11 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I'm not sure where you're looking for fares but I'm seeing ~$900 fares IAD-CDG on the A380 all through September.

Also, the A380 has been flying to IAD for a couple of months already. I see from my office that monster taking off a couple of times a week.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 2P, DL, FL A+ Elite, AA
Originally Posted by Artpen100
I was looking at flying IAD – CDG in the Fall when AirFrance will be flying the new A380 on that route, and see that they are charging over $4000 RT economy during that period (economy on most of the other direct flights on more ordinary craft is generally around $900 at the moment – even OpenSkies is only about $1500 for its business seats).
The AF flight was less than $2000 RT when I was shopping for flights earlier this summer

Originally Posted by Artpen100
What gives with that? Do they think they are going to fill the plane at that price? Or is economy more like business class on the A380? Maybe I am missing something, or maybe they will have to drop the prices later to fill the plane.
Ha, I wish. The A380 is not a Concorde. Economy is economy. Nothing different about it from regular AF economy, aside from the fact that it's a new bird. The plane I took was full.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 12:32 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Artpen100, welcome to FlyerTalk! As your topic is specific to Air France, I'll move this to that airline's forum. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

A380

I looked in September, and the economy fares are competitive. End of November, early December, $4400. Odd. Well, I'll watch them.
Old Aug 12, 2011, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Followup, if anyone is watching

Not only has the economy price droped to the usual approximately 850 USD around November, I see that business class on the direct IAD-CDG AF A380 flights has dropped to about 1950 USD, which is a pretty good price, close to Openskies.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
I am doing a complex trip to Europe in Dec. Without getting into all the details, I am squeezing in 22 hours in FCO for the wife.

I can either take the ATL-FCO flight on DL in a 777 or the WAS-CDG A380 flight.

The 777 non-stop gets 4 hours earlier ealier into FCO, shorting our day there substantially.

Is the A380 in coach that much better than a DL 777 that it warrants losing 4 hours in FCO, which matters when you only have 22 hours?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.