Search

Snow falls expected Dec. 16 - 24

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Snow falls expected Dec. 16 - 24

Having to fly to CDG on thursday I dsicovered that Meteo France forecasts heavy snow for Thu/Fri. I hope that CDG airport will be better prepared this time, including working during the night on the runways.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 8:56 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Ouch. I was going to fly in on Friday eve.

I better take a train reservation as backup...
Old Dec 13, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: DL FO
So, yes MeteoFrance forecasts snow for the end of the week and it can be as messy as last week. But to give advice, we need more info...

Last edited by JOUY31; Dec 13, 2010 at 4:55 pm Reason: personal comment removed
Old Dec 13, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
As soon as I have more relevant info, I'll share it here.

But so far, no ATC restrictions planned on the period. Snow is expected starting Wednesday 14:00Z, but it will be more precise in the coming days.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:24 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
I've not seen any forecast for heavy snow fall, at least for Friday (fingers crossed). source :
météo France
Old Dec 13, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
I was looking to fly CDG-YYZ on Thursday morning, but wonder if I should rearrange my plans and see about an ex-LHR return? Might now be over here til Friday, and I have plenty of fallback options in London, but am on my own in Paris...

Without wanting to sound too much of an ignorant foreigner (although, in a literal sense am most definitely am in this situation!) - given the recent way things have been handled, does this seem to be too over-cautious? Any good English-language sites/feeds I can try to check to monitor things (my French is basic to mediocre).

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:52 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Le Figaro, quoting Meteo-consult

http://www.lefigaro.fr/actualite-fra...n-vacances.php

In short, for the Paris Ile-de-France region:
- some light snow showers in the night from Tuesday to Wednesday
- from Thursday late afternoon and evening to Sunday morning, snowfalls with at least 3cm of snow, the risk being that there could be more
- additional updates on Wednesday
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I'm flying Wed from VIE to FRA via CDG with a 50 min connection! Yeek !
Old Dec 13, 2010, 4:58 pm

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'm flying Wed from VIE to FRA via CDG with a 50 min connection! Yeek !
Well, your connections should all be within 2D, with no security screening any more for your onward flight. And no heavy snow is expected, so this should hopefully be straightforward.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Merci, JOUY31! ^
Old Dec 14, 2010, 2:50 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I just checked the meteofrance.fr website which shows the following weather for the Paris region:

Wednesday: some snow in the afternoon
Thursday: rain/snow
Friday: fine weather
Saturday: snow
Sunday: snow

It seems that Friday is the best day to travel.

In the past I usually managed not to travel from/to CDG on snow days but sometimes it's inevitable. Thus a question:
  • What about the early morning longhaul departures leaving before 10am (JFK, BEY, etc): do they usually leave more or less on time, maybe some delay for de-icing? I would imagine that the planes arrive from longhaul earlier that morning, usually not a problem, and can then depart again
  • What about the midday longhaul departures (USA, Africa): I imagine they are much more impacted? More stress on the infrastructure and runway capacities, waiting for connecting flights, etc?

What is people's experience?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 3:24 am

Current comments on various TV channels indicate that the Paris-Ile-de-France region could be at the border between regions where it will snow and regions where it will rain. So, no clear indication as yet that there will be heavy snow. Meteo-France usually updates alert status one day before the event.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JOUY31
Current comments on various TV channels indicate that the Paris-Ile-de-France region could be at the border between regions where it will snow and regions where it will rain. So, no clear indication as yet that there will be heavy snow. Meteo-France usually updates alert status one day before the event.
Meanwhile as I write this from my window of the IC in VIE, it is snowing heavily . And I wonder how it will affect my flight to CDG later today..

I'm flying VIE-CDG-FRA today, and then FRA-AMS tomorrow, followed by AMS-HAM on Fri. Yes its a sector run. If I miss this will FB credit my sectors based on my intention of ever flying VIE-CDG-FRA today. I might just try to get a oneway on LH later tonight instead.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:25 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I'm flying VIE-CDG-FRA today, and then FRA-AMS tomorrow, followed by AMS-HAM on Fri. Yes its a sector run. If I miss this will FB credit my sectors based on my intention of ever flying VIE-CDG-FRA today. I might just try to get a oneway on LH later tonight instead.
AF1139 is already late by 30mins regarding schedule as of now.
Old Dec 15, 2010, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mokshu
AF1139 is already late by 30mins regarding schedule as of now.
Sigh.

I'm currently booked on OS direct to FRA at 1955 tonight (but not yet ticketed). I'm fearful that if my AF flight 1739 from VIE is even the slightest delayed I will miss my onward connection at CDG. I don't fancy being stranded in Paris!

So do you think that FB will give me the 2 sectors that I missed for today's flight due to weather.. ? I need those 2 sectors to make it to Gold for next year!

Decisions, decisions !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.