Search

AF Promo / News Letter by mail...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:21 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
AF Promo / News Letter by mail...

Why on earth am I receiving AF promotion mails in Spanish?

¡Compre Millas de Premio y
disfrute de un 20% de descuento!
Dear Mr Cupart,

¿Tiene planes de viaje? ¿Va a necesitar alquilar un vehículo o reservar una estancia en un hotel pero no tiene Millas suficientes? Esta es su oportunidad: disfrute de un 20% de descuento cuando compre Millas de Premio hasta el 31 de enero de 2011. Por ejemplo, compre 10.000 Millas de Premio pero ¡pague sólo 8.000!
Compre Millas de Premio online y despegue hacia su destino favorito. Relájese en el hotel que desee o aproveche todo lo que le ofrece Flying Blue. También puede regalar Millas de Premio a familiares o amigos y hacer realidad las vacaciones de sus sueños.
What I'm aware of,

1. I don't live in Spain,
2. I'm NOT Spanish,
3. I don't even speak or hardly understand Spanish,
4. I have not signed up for anything recently with AF/KL or FB other than changing my residency address which is now in FRANCE,
5. Last time I was in Spain was 20 years ago and don't have any plans of going back either...

So, why is this I wonder?

It has never happened before
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
I would tend to say that FB communication department f***ed up its mailing segmentation :|
Old Nov 22, 2010, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I alternatively receive promotions from either the US or Ireland. I don't live in either place, never booked an AF ticket originating in either place that I can remember and am not interested in offers from either place.

And talking of the IT department, for our BlueBiz number, we can't enter phone numbers as the website doesn't recognise the length of a UK number and rejects them as invalid
Old Nov 22, 2010, 11:34 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by orbitmic
I alternatively receive promotions from either the US or Ireland.
Ireland, UK, US, OZ it's all the same

At least you get mails in a language one would understand, or at least from some of the countries mentioned as Americans do have "difficulties" with the correct spelling in some circumstances

Btw, when it comes to postal codes I had the same problem when living in Ireland. It seems to me that Ireland is one of the few countries left in the world that doesn't have a postal number system in place except for Dublin (Odd numbers on the North and even numbers on the South Side). I was living in Dublin 2 so the post code was 2 which was very difficult for some systems to understand so I had to give up in many cases Never been a problem with AF though...
Old Nov 22, 2010, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Cupart
Why on earth am I receiving AF promotion mails in Spanish? What I'm aware of,

1. I don't live in Spain,
2. I'm NOT Spanish,
3. I don't even speak or hardly understand Spanish,
4. I have not signed up for anything recently with AF/KL or FB other than changing my residency address which is now in FRANCE,
5. Last time I was in Spain was 20 years ago and don't have any plans of going back either...

So, why is this I wonder?

It has never happened before
Hey my friend ! Your moves through Europe are probably too difficult to follow for FB . They maybe thought you were in Spain now. In 2 years you'll receive the newsletter in Italian
More seriously, you can check your profile on AF web site and look at the communication language that is selected. It may have changed for an uknown reason.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Btw, when it comes to postal codes I had the same problem when living in Ireland. It seems to me that Ireland is one of the few countries left in the world that doesn't have a postal number system in place except for Dublin (Odd numbers on the North and even numbers on the South Side). I was living in Dublin 2 so the post code was 2 which was very difficult for some systems to understand so I had to give up in many cases :
No postcode in New Zealand, nor, I believe, in Chile or in Mauritius, this is indeed an internet form killer sure to give you permanent error messages!
Old Nov 22, 2010, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
No postal code in Hong Kong
Old Nov 23, 2010, 2:38 am
ixs

Programs: Many
I was living in Dublin 2 so the post code was 2 which was very difficult for some systems to understand so I had to give up in many cases Never been a problem with AF though...
Left-padding with Zeros most often works for these checkes. 2 becomes 00002 and depending on the code the company uses might even be added as 2 into the database.

Challenge defeated.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 4:39 am

Programs: AA: Plat, AF: Silver
I suspect it is a wide spread problem as I also received an email in Spanish. Despite moving around, I have never lived in Spain (or a Spanish speaking country) or even bought a ticket from airfrance.es

Quite shocking how amateur this is...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 5:39 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ixs
Left-padding with Zeros most often works for these checkes. 2 becomes 00002 and depending on the code the company uses might even be added as 2 into the database.

Challenge defeated.
Postal code is usually a String and therefore not normalized to '2' as its not an Integer. It often includes alphanumeric characters as well.

I received the Spanish email as well by the way. Lol.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:30 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak
More seriously, you can check your profile on AF web site and look at the communication language that is selected. It may have changed for an uknown reason.
I knew I could count on your for a point in the right direction, BUT no luck this time my dear friend

The options I have are:

Language of communication

Indicate your preferred language of communication
( ) French (X) English ( ) Dutch
Brilliant: Spanish is not even an option

Anyway, I'm glad that some as knowledgable as Xandrios also get's his communication in Spanish so I'm not alone
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:53 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I received the Spanish email as well by the way. Lol.
I feel left out
Old Nov 23, 2010, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by ixs

Challenge defeated.
Come on, tackle a challenge the adult size and sort out my phone number problem!! I've tried every length from 1 to 15 digits, with or without zeroes, nothing is recognised by the blue biz system...
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:08 am

Programs: Qatar G,FB Silver, EBS, SPG LTG
Me too, received the same letter in Spanish but the heading is in English "A 20% discount when you buy Award Miles now" .... :-)
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:38 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

OK, got a new mail from FB:

Dear Mr CUPART,

The e-mail we sent to you on 22/11/2010 regarding [A 20% discount when you buy Award Miles now] was dispatched unintentionally. This should not have happened. Kindly accept our sincere apologies for any confusion this may have caused.

In the future, every effort will be made to ensure your continued confidence in Flying Blue. We look forward to welcoming you onboard again soon.

Yours sincerely,

The Flying Blue Team
So maybe FB are in fact keeping an eye on FT but still ignoring Orbitmic I guess

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.