Wiki Posts
Search

Another infant award travel question

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2010, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
Another infant award travel question

4 promo business awards booked to SEA in June. Three days ago availability was wide open in M and I was contemplating getting my infant a tix vs paying the 10% fee but now its zeroed out. I am hoping it will come back but if not what do you think of this. The promo awards are booked for one adult and three teenagers. If I use 29,000 more miles to secure baby a "seat" in economy can she just sit up with me in business. Or, can I send one of my teenagers back to coach and have her sit up with me. Or, will AF refuse to board us and cause a huge fuss at the airport. I know what they would save if I called but right now I am locked in with the four promo seats and just figuring out what to do with baby's ticket. Anyone know why all of us sudden nearly all the M seats are zeroed out in June.
Old May 7, 2010, 1:36 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Catusa
4 promo business awards booked to SEA in June. Three days ago availability was wide open in M and I was contemplating getting my infant a tix vs paying the 10% fee but now its zeroed out. I am hoping it will come back but if not what do you think of this. The promo awards are booked for one adult and three teenagers. If I use 29,000 more miles to secure baby a "seat" in economy can she just sit up with me in business. Or, can I send one of my teenagers back to coach and have her sit up with me. Or, will AF refuse to board us and cause a huge fuss at the airport. I know what they would save if I called but right now I am locked in with the four promo seats and just figuring out what to do with baby's ticket. Anyone know why all of us sudden nearly all the M seats are zeroed out in June.
I am not entirely sure I understood your question, but from what I gathered you are thinking about a tactic to have your infant travel with you to SEA, and you and your teenage kids all have seats in Business. Correct?

As far as I know the thing is that you can never book a ticket for an infant alone. It always needs to be "attached" to an adult's booking (=on the same PNR), and that would necessarily be in the same cabin. Thus, no possibility for you to travel in Business and your infant to have an eco ticket.

PS and off topic: you are very courageous, taking an infant for a trip from Europe to the US West Coast... I know people do it, but personally the idea of an infant jet-lagged by 9 time zones would stress me. Not so much the flight, but the time there. Mauritius is as much as I would dare from Europe.
Old May 7, 2010, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by creber

As far as I know the thing is that you can never book a ticket for an infant alone. It always needs to be "attached" to an adult's booking (=on the same PNR), and that would necessarily be in the same cabin. Thus, no possibility for you to travel in Business and your infant to have an eco ticket.
To clarify, my baby would be booked on a full award tix so she wouldn't be obligatorily linked to me record. My concern is check-in when she has a seat she won't use in economy and the rest of us are in business.
Old May 7, 2010, 2:14 am
Original Poster

PS and off topic: you are very courageous, taking an infant for a trip from Europe to the US West Coast... I know people do it, but personally the idea of an infant jet-lagged by 9 time zones would stress me. Not so much the flight, but the time there. Mauritius is as much as I would dare from Europe.
We are going for 7 weeks so hopefully we should have time to recover. OTH, we spent our short winter vacation watching overnight olympic highlights and sleeping while everyone else was awake.
Old May 7, 2010, 2:18 am

Programs: Many
Currently planning Uruguay next winter with 2,5 and 0,5 year old babies. Only 3-hour jetlag, but journey of 20+ hours... Will book fully refundable I think.
Old May 7, 2010, 2:39 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Catusa
To clarify, my baby would be booked on a full award tix so she wouldn't be obligatorily linked to me record. My concern is check-in when she has a seat she won't use in economy and the rest of us are in business.
Surely Mokshu can help out here, but my understanding is that you cannot even book a "full award ticket" for her. No airline, at least in IATA, allows bookings for infants alone.

Or do you mean you would just "hide" her age, pass her as an adult, book a "full" (=adult) award, and then turn up and say "suprise surprise, this is actually an infant, and instead of taking her booked/paid seat in Eco she'll sit on my lap in Business"? Hmm... I believe that you'd need to come across an extremely understanding team at CKI and at the gate, willing to bend the rules. There is also the issue that parents with infants can/should only take certain seats because of oxygen masks, etc. (unless you convince them that in the case of depressurization your infant will crawl back in the bottom of the Y cabin and take her mask there ). Also, at CKI, starting the maths that it's actually better for AF because of xx Euros won but not taken etc - I don't think they'd be ready to do that at the CKI desk.

Personally I wouldn't risk it, but this is just my opinion without having all the facts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.