AF / CDG disruptions due to cloud of volcanic ash from Iceland

Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by Mokshu
PS: next crisis, I'll handle info on Twitter :P
Great idea - LH has done a very good job with that.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Yeah, Eurocontrol has done a great job, I'm very impressed.

KLM did show also good sign regarding Twitter.

AF handles Twiter market per market, global account is not opened officially. Should be soon, but I'm not sure results will be what we expect...
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:49 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Smile Flight schedule update for April 20th

Departures
  • [*]
  • [*]
  • [*]

Long-haul arrivals originally scheduled at airports in Southern France
  • [*]

http://corporate.airfrance.com/fr/pr...rafic/back/61/

Last edited by JOUY31; Apr 19, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by JOUY31
En conséquence, Air France prévoit, ŕ ce stade, pour la journée du 20 avril :

Vols au départ :

- Pour les vols long-courriers au départ de Paris-Charles de Gaulle et de Paris-Orly, une exploitation normale
Wow, I am impressed.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
the link

The flights cancelled or not are moving minute by minute.
The AF link, in real time:
http://www.airfrance.us/cgi-bin/AF/U...liteDesVols.do
Old Apr 19, 2010, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by blairvanhorn
Wow, I am impressed.
Right . Now hoping that brunos can find seats quickly, creber as well, but he should be flying OS or LX ...

Last edited by JOUY31; Apr 19, 2010 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:12 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by JOUY31
Right . Now hoping that brunos can find seats quickly, creber as well, but he should be flying OS or LX ...
Nope, I am already back in Paris !!

I left last night from Teterboro (New Jersey) on a chartered jet with 11 of my colleagues. We landed in Barcelona this morning, were then taken by car to Montpellier, from where we took the TGV to Paris.

All worked smoothly... well almost: due to strikes we could not get any train connection out of Perpignan, and then our Montpellier-Paris train stopped 80km before Paris because of some damage to the train. It continued at slow speed and reached Gare de Lyon with 1h30 delay. In the grand scheme of things, I don't complain But door-to-door Manhattan-Paris was 23 hours, a record. Had I known that I could have gone on a regular flight this evening, I would have waited. Much less expensive and more comfortable than the corp jet solution.

But most of all I am really glad things work out so quickly now across most of Europe!

I am one of those who have followed things on Twitter (got the account just a couple of days ago for this purpuse) and I must agree that Eurocontrol was superb, as was airlineroutes.com. Airine-wise I followed LH, LX, OS and AF as well as Star Alliance. LH pretty good, one was always in the know, LX a little vague. OS only came out with really breaking news. AF had long periods of silence and then suddenly this afternoon Paris time hectic messaging with all the good news of corridors, longhaul program, then opening of Paris etc.

Mokshu don't hesitate, that Twitter thing is really great. It's not just teenagers blurbing irrelevant idiocies using that.

Brunos, bonne chance to come back ASAP, but with so many airlines now resuming flights I hope that won't be too long for you.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this forum. There were some really helpful hints that I could pass on to other people who made use of them.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Ivory, EasyJet Plus, Club Corsair Gold, Thalys TheCard Platinum, Navigo 1-5
Originally Posted by creber
l worked smoothly... well almost: due to strikes we could not get any train connection out of Perpignan, and then our Montpellier-Paris train stopped 80km before Paris because of some damage to the train. It continued at slow speed and reached Gare de Lyon with 1h30 delay. In the grand scheme of things, I don't complain But door-to-door Manhattan-Paris was 23 hours, a record. Had I known that I could have gone on a regular flight this evening, I would have waited. Much less expensive and more comfortable than the corp jet solution.
I know nothing better than using SNCF services to make me love airlines, even AF
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:27 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Mokshu
I know nothing better than using SNCF services to make me love airlines, even AF

I agree so much! ^^

AF already makes me sad because they do not leverage the great natural assets that they have to be one of the best airlines in the world (hub with lots of capacity, French style and class, great FAs, money to invest in technology, etc.).

But SNCF is even worse. They arguably have one of the world's two best high speed networks, and what do they make of it? An unreliable strike-beridden public sector messup. Gotta take them again tomorrow morning as I don't want to be among the first to go through the "the day after" experience at airports. But then after that I'll have had enough of them
Old Apr 19, 2010, 3:28 pm
Original Poster

mmm ... Nats reports a new ash cloud headed for the UK, not good for LHR

Since our last statement at 1530 today, the volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK. This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly changing conditions in which we are working.

Latest information from the Met Office shows that the situation is worsening in some areas. Based on this information, the situation for Northern Irish airports for the morning is uncertain, due to the new ash cloud. The latest information shows that Scottish airports should be available from 0700 and more airspace over England may become available from 1300 although not as far south as the main London airports.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
"Successful" flights tests vs. NATO experiene

This is a bit scary - seeing how governments are being "bullied" into opening airspace....

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63I25420100419
Old Apr 19, 2010, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Except in case of reactivation of the volcano (which is not impossible according to the latest news), the program will resume April 20 at 8:00 officially.

However, the first departures from CDG may not happen before 2pm, for that the latest technical checks, the resumption of Servair activities (teams were asked to go home) and passenger information.

The inbound flights will resume gradually, by placing priority on intercontinental flights.

Sources: internal
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Not to be a bearer of bad news, but there seems to be a bigger bang coming soon...

http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences...ven-days/#5min

...The eruptions and ash disturbance from the Eyjafjallajokull volcano might be waking up its neighbor, Katla. If this is the case, the results could be globally devastating. Activity at Katla has risen 200% in the last two days.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:12 pm

Programs: FB PLAT
this is a nightmare.

I am booked on af from rio to manchester via cdg on the 28th, reading the bbc it seems to change every 5 mins, anyone know if its expected to go on that long?
Old Apr 19, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Not to be a bearer of bad news, but there seems to be a bigger bang coming soon...

http://scienceray.com/earth-sciences...ven-days/#5min
I heard a geophysist (?) stating that the current volcano had never gone off without Katla following --- and Katla's 100x more powerful than the current one...

We live in interesting times

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.