Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread is about AC giving a free bump up in status when one is very, very, very close to the next status level at year end.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS

FOR STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS, REFER TO THIS THREAD
Print Wikipost

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 9:59 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Bumping this thread for recent experiences. If my calculations are correct I will end the year only $2 above the AQD threshold to renew S100K. However I am not sure I trust myself much on those calculations. If instead I fall a few dollars short, how many of you got renewed S100K last year despite being a bit short, so they gave you a break? How many have the opposite experience that they applied the AQD threshold with an iron fist?

I am wondering if I should book a flight I do not need in December just to cover my potential ineptitude to calculate AQD
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:10 pm

Will you be flying Y or J? If in Y any chance you’re flying in Standard? Co-pay on eUpgrade counts towards AQD. Otherwise you can always try to upfare.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 10:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
If you're worried, I'd inquire about the cost to upfare from TG to FL or FL to CO within the same fare class. On my domestic flights this year, it was never more than $50.

But you should be able to determine your actual AQD based on the tickets, as long as they're in CAD.
Adam Smith likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: AC SE
Chance of E75 with 74 segments (AQD is met)

I know AC has in the past "rounded up" for those that are very close on AQM (and typically have met AQD), but any experiences on whether they've done the same for those qualifying on segments? Have a friend who is scheduled to end the year with 74 segments, but is well past the AQD requirements for E75. In past years, have others been given the higher status when they've met AQD, but are off by 1 segment (e.g. 49/50 for E50, 74/75 for E75)? Unfortunately there isn't a practical opportunity to add a segment to an existing trip, and the difference in benefits between E50 vs. E75 is fairly marginal and may not warrant a separate segment run.

I fully realize that the only way to guarantee status is to fly an extra segment, so I don't need responses saying that the only way to guarantee is to fly an extra segment (I know this). What I was hoping to see if whether there have been some examples in recent years of those who may have been close (i.e. 1 segment away), but have got the higher status without having to file a special request/appeal. Basically, have there been any past examples, and is there a decent chance?

There was "trip in vain" due to an AC irrop that cut out one segment earlier in the year (if it wasn't for that, the 75 segments would be met), so there's also a good case to appeal for the E75 status if it's not granted off hand, but I know those requests may not get reviewed for some time and can take a while, so would likely not have to go down that route except as a last resort.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
I know AC has in the past "rounded up" for those that are very close on AQM (and typically have met AQD), but any experiences on whether they've done the same for those qualifying on segments? Have a friend who is scheduled to end the year with 74 segments, but is well past the AQD requirements for E75. In past years, have others been given the higher status when they've met AQD, but are off by 1 segment (e.g. 49/50 for E50, 74/75 for E75)? Unfortunately there isn't a practical opportunity to add a segment to an existing trip, and the difference in benefits between E50 vs. E75 is fairly marginal and may not warrant a separate segment run.

I fully realize that the only way to guarantee status is to fly an extra segment, so I don't need responses saying that the only way to guarantee is to fly an extra segment (I know this). What I was hoping to see if whether there have been some examples in recent years of those who may have been close (i.e. 1 segment away), but have got the higher status without having to file a special request/appeal. Basically, have there been any past examples, and is there a decent chance?

There was "trip in vain" due to an AC irrop that cut out one segment earlier in the year (if it wasn't for that, the 75 segments would be met), so there's also a good case to appeal for the E75 status if it's not granted off hand, but I know those requests may not get reviewed for some time and can take a while, so would likely not have to go down that route except as a last resort.
I would just hope they give E75K automatically. If not, I think there's a reconsideration email that starts looking at situations like this in March.

Since it's only 1 AQS and well past the AQD requirement, I think chances are fairly good, but as you said, it may not be worth a MR.
gcashin and jc94 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:57 am

Programs: Air Canada SE100K
Lufthansa K fare segments

Hi,
I’m an Air Canada Super Elite 100K frequent flyer.

I recently completed 4 flight segments on Lufthansa and learned that I cannot get credit for the miles or segments as it is a K fare.

I do not care much about the miles but I need the 4 Segments to requalify as a Super Elite for 2019.

Does anyone have experience with Air Canada recognizing these segments and giving Super Elite Status?

With the 4 segments I would reach exactly 95 Segments needed for Super Elite status.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:48 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by MarkC444
Hi,
I’m an Air Canada Super Elite 100K frequent flyer.

I recently completed 4 flight segments on Lufthansa and learned that I cannot get credit for the miles or segments as it is a K fare.

I do not care much about the miles but I need the 4 Segments to requalify as a Super Elite for 2019.

Does anyone have experience with Air Canada recognizing these segments and giving Super Elite Status?

With the 4 segments I would reach exactly 95 Segments needed for Super Elite status.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

According to Aeroplan, https://www.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...fthansaAirways Lufthansa K fare does not earn AQM, therefore nor AQS.

AC may grant you SE anyways, but I would not count on it. I would do a 4 segment run if I were you. Good Luck!
DNAwizard likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I would just hope they give E75K automatically. If not, I think there's a reconsideration email that starts looking at situations like this in March.

Since it's only 1 AQS and well past the AQD requirement, I think chances are fairly good, but as you said, it may not be worth a MR.
Thanks for the opinion. Yeah, I'd hope there's a decent chance they'd grant the status, given that AQD were easily met (about 30% over the AQD). If they don't grant it, the big drawback is the waiting time to request a reconsideration - this person would be going from E50 to E75, so if they don't start looking at those requests until March, that's several months without the higher status. Not a huge difference, but still a major hassle to have to wait that long. Hopefully it works out via the sweeps to not have to go down that path.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: FOTSG Tangerine Ex E35k (AC)
Just to add there are also examples on this forum of people offered a buy up who declined it and still got the status. AC also offered people buy up after they had actually passed the qualification. Clearly their systems aren’t tied up.

There are or course counter examples too, and people who didn’t get offered the buy up at all.

AC have the mailbox set to auto respond we’ll ignore your email until March (or words to that effect). Which strikes me as just an obnoxious customer service fail. Flame away.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA, SPG, HH, IHG, BW
Currently E75K. Will finish the year at AQM 91900, AQD $33500. Anyone have any insight on the prospect of AC comping me to SE100k for next year?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by A310 Driver
Currently E75K. Will finish the year at AQM 91900, AQD $33500. Anyone have any insight on the prospect of AC comping me to SE100k for next year?
Just as in other cases, I would not count on it. Especially since they have implemented giving you an offer, pay so much and we'll bump you up.

I would invent an extra trip somewhere for the 9,000 miles. (In fact I did. I had a trip planned in November which I had to cancel because of an injury, which would end up leaving me at around 95 k miles. Next trip in Dec was planned with return in January. I changed the latter return to Dec. 31... Should end up with around 150 miles over 100k.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Alaska gave me status already for next year being 22 miles short . Great service! Doubt AC would be as nice!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Altaflyer
Alaska gave me status already for next year being 22 miles short . Great service! Doubt AC would be as nice!
AC routinely grants status when you're only short a few miles.

I wish people would do research before posting provocative incorrect messages.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
AC routinely grants status when you're only short a few miles.
But not 9000 miles.
flyquiet and jc94 like this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:03 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Stranger
Just as in other cases, I would not count on it. Especially since they have implemented giving you an offer, pay so much and we'll bump you up.

I would invent an extra trip somewhere for the 9,000 miles. (In fact I did. I had a trip planned in November which I had to cancel because of an injury, which would end up leaving me at around 95 k miles. Next trip in Dec was planned with return in January. I changed the latter return to Dec. 31... Should end up with around 150 miles over 100k.
But will they back date the miles when your flight is cancelled and you're rebooked the following day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.