Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
This thread is about AC giving a free bump up in status when one is very, very, very close to the next status level at year end.

THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS

FOR STATUS BUY-UP OFFERS, REFER TO THIS THREAD
Print Wikipost

FAQ: I am X miles/segments/dollars short of status. Will AC give it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2017, 7:50 am
alc

Deleted, the suggested flights are in "Basic Economy" and hence not toward Altitude Status.

Last edited by alc; Oct 17, 2017 at 1:57 pm
Old Oct 17, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by F 1
I'm looking for 3 additional AQS before end of year. Cheapest way possible out of YVR. One way I thought of is a same-day YVR-YYC-YEG-YVR for around $300. But anyone else have any ideas?
tbh that doesn't sound bad at all.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 11:50 am
F 1

Originally Posted by jc94
Include a YYJ in there? I mean it's still a segment and is short. Could do two of them for about $370 though I suspect YVR YYC YYJ YVR or something might be cheaper.
I agree, I looked into YYJ and while it's a faster segment, it makes the MR more expensive.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 5:03 pm
alc

Originally Posted by F 1
I'm looking for 3 additional AQS before end of year. Cheapest way possible out of YVR. One way I thought of is a same-day YVR-YYC-YEG-YVR for around $300. But anyone else have any ideas?
Sorry for the UA Basic Economy earlier today, here is one from AC:

YVR-YLW-YYC-YVR for $183 on Dec 9th in Tango

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...YVR0AC231;a=AC

Hope this help.

---- added ----

Not sure if this is a pricing error, as it show the return flight is free!!!
Attached Images  
F 1 likes this.

Last edited by alc; Oct 17, 2017 at 5:13 pm Reason: Added Screenshot showing return flight as $0!!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:06 pm
F 1

Originally Posted by alc
Sorry for the UA Basic Economy earlier today, here is one from AC:

YVR-YLW-YYC-YVR for $183 on Dec 9th in Tango

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...YVR0AC231;a=AC

Hope this help.

---- added ----

Not sure if this is a pricing error, as it show the return flight is free!!!
Good one! There a variation of that for $10 more, my layover in YLW is only 35 mins instead of 5 hours. Do I dare? Is that even allowed?
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:17 pm
alc

Originally Posted by F 1
Good one! There a variation of that for $10 more, my layover in YLW is only 35 mins instead of 5 hours. Do I dare? Is that even allowed?
Last time I flew into YLW was for work like 10 years ago, so, will let others comment about the immediately turn around, but I can't see why you tell the staff that you are going back on the same plane, hence, want to stay Air Side. Done that (as suggested by other FTers here) during my recent EYW trips. I had walk into via the boarding gates, all the PAX and the GA will give you that look

But, made be you could spent a few hours at YLW, find something interesting so the trip will not be just for the 3 AQS? See what can you do for that $10 that you are going to play Air Canada for the immediate turn around? (I think I know the answer to this :P). But seriously, no need to answer my questions, I am just throwing ideas and questions for you to ask yourself.

Good Luck and hope you do find a route and dates that work for you to get your AQS as low cost (cheap) as possible
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by F 1
I agree, I looked into YYJ and while it's a faster segment, it makes the MR more expensive.
YYJ always makes it more expensive it seems! I need a few miles and it is only a few bucks extra to fly YYJ-YVR-SFO return than YYJ-YVR return. And that's for crappy, useless status!

Dr. PITUK
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: AC 35K, Hilton Diamond
I will be 625 miles short of 75K this year, so I'm looking for cheap options out of YYZ, and ideally without flying far in excess of that amount. Seems going to the US on a same day turn would be smarter, given 50% miles on Tango fares. The best I've found is ~$320 RT to BNA, but I wouldn't mind finding something cheaper if that's even feasible - looking for any suggestions.

Unfortunately it's now close to the holidays so I'm running out of days with cheaper fares.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 6:55 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by gregster
I will be 625 miles short of 75K this year, so I'm looking for cheap options out of YYZ, and ideally without flying far in excess of that amount. Seems going to the US on a same day turn would be smarter, given 50% miles on Tango fares. The best I've found is ~$320 RT to BNA, but I wouldn't mind finding something cheaper if that's even feasible - looking for any suggestions.

Unfortunately it's now close to the holidays so I'm running out of days with cheaper fares.
Have you checked UA? If you don't need AQD, that's often a cheap option. Although $325 seems pretty cheap already. With such a smal amount of miles needed, you're not going to get great economies of scale.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:04 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite. NEXUS

50K->75K grants a bunch of useless things and 25% more miles. ~20k if you travel 74k again next year. $320 seems almost positive money in that case, depending on how long one and how effectively one hangs out at a lounge.

Maybe the train one way to YOW or YUL?
Old Nov 27, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond

AC flies direct to Memphis, and it looks like you can get there & back for $277 return
https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...IANCE;s=0;mc=m
Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:30 pm

MEM is a great suggestion since it seems the fare buckets I was viewing for BNA are no longer available. To me it's worth the small run for the extra eups/eup priority, and less so the extra miles and very minimal additional perks.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
MEM is a great suggestion since it seems the fare buckets I was viewing for BNA are no longer available. To me it's worth the small run for the extra eups/eup priority, and less so the extra miles and very minimal additional perks.
Departing on the 12th (the random date I picked) now looks like it's sold out in the $277 bucket ... but that price is still available for other dates to MEM; the google flights link I sent shows a price under each date, in the date picker. FYI, you can also use the embedded map to view a wide area (aka, "the US"), and it will show prices on that (that's how I found the MEM deal).
gregster likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:59 am

I took a closer look at my 2017 figures now that AQD has caught up, and it seems I’ll end the year only $1500 away from the SE $20k AQD level. With that being said 24k AQM would still be a substantial amount of flying. Given the time left in the year I may just settle with 75k, but I am curious if that is a feasible mileage run (6.25cpm)? I would imagine at certain times of year those fare prices would come up, but options are probably limited with only two weeks to go.

I’d be happy to spend $1500, but I’m finding the cost would be closer to $3k (12.5cpm). Either via a J return to HKG for 3.2, or YYZ-TPE w/connections mostly in AC PY for $1700 (assuming the segment on KE won't post AQM/AQD), which would net me ~18k AQM. Then another P fare on UA to make up the additional 6k AQM, at $1k.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:34 am
alc

I took a closer look at my 2017 figures now that AQD has caught up, and it seems I’ll end the year only $1500 away from the SE $20k AQD level. With that being said 24k AQM would still be a substantial amount of flying. Given the time left in the year I may just settle with 75k, but I am curious if that is a feasible mileage run (6.25cpm)? I would imagine at certain times of year those fare prices would come up, but options are probably limited with only two weeks to go.

I’d be happy to spend $1500, but I’m finding the cost would be closer to $3k (12.5cpm). Either via a J return to HKG for 3.2, or YYZ-TPE w/connections mostly in AC PY for $1700 (assuming the segment on KE won't post AQM/AQD), which would net me ~18k AQM. Then another P fare on UA to make up the additional 6k AQM, at $1k.
Here are my comments for you to consider:

- depending how much you fly next year and assuming you will select the bonus miles in Bundle 1, you will get 25% more miles next year. Hence you can factor in this extra miles in your cpm consideration

- if you are planning to redeem Int'l AP ticket as an E75K and willing to pay the high YQ to fly on AC metal, then you will save YQ for being a SE100K. So, also factor this in your cpm

Good Luck. Let us know what you end up decided.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.