Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Summary of North America Executive class meal service

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I hate to talk about these things here, but I'm telling you right now that I have had success ordering from the back. I don't do it often but when it happens I don't get rejected.
Now that the PLH routes often feature dairy in 3 of the 4 mains as well as the salad (and I refuse to eat the bland and carb-laden SPMLs on offer), I have to avail myself of the BoB "option" quite often.

Just requested something from the back as I sit here on AC738 waiting for the doors to close. The FA in question said she'd "have to check with [her] In-Charge."

Fingers crossed...
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:01 pm

Update: Was just granted the privilege of getting something from BoB free of charge.

Was also advised that "technically, this is against policy and some In-Charges are very strict about it, so you might want to consider putting a standing SPML request in your profile."

The FA was very sweet and polite throughout, so I just thanked her and didn't say anything else, like how horrible their SPML options tend to be.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by capedreamer
Update: Was just granted the privilege of getting something from BoB free of charge.

Was also advised that "technically, this is against policy and some In-Charges are very strict about it, so you might want to consider putting a standing SPML request in your profile."

The FA was very sweet and polite throughout, so I just thanked her and didn't say anything else, like how horrible their SPML options tend to be.
Glad to hear this, but...
I hope AC doesn't know your real name and which flight you're on!
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
I know others here vehemently disagree, but I quite enjoy the NA transcon J meals. Maybe it's an illusion or facade of price and quality, but nevertheless it has improved IMHO.
I don't "vehemently" disagree, but do not agree. I offer this explanation;
Perhaps you have become accustomed to the low quality and have psychologically accepted the quality because you fly so often. I am an infrequent elite customer, so I am less exposed to the AC catering contractors.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:14 pm

Glad to hear this, but...
I hope AC doesn't know your real name and which flight you're on!
I hope they do. To quote my earlier post (emphasis added):

Wow. Very poor form on AC's part.

Offering something from BoB should be standard practice if a J passenger doesn't want the regular J options (or lack thereof in this case) for any reason. UA does it (and others may as well). Most AC FAs I've interacted with have been happy to comply, but they should just make it part of the official policy.

Pro tip for AC management: If your J options are so unappetizing, unhealthy, or otherwise unappealing that pax would rather something from the back, perhaps take that as a hint that you need to revamp your J meal offerings!
​​​​
To be clear, I wasn't demanding or unreasonable during this interaction. I acknowledged that I didn't order a lactose-free meal and asked if it would be possible to get something from the back. If the answer would have been no, I would have accepted it. It's not the crew's fault that management has unenlightened policies in place.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I hope they do. To quote my earlier post (emphasis added):

​​​​
To be clear, I wasn't demanding or unreasonable during this interaction. I acknowledged that I didn't order a lactose-free meal and asked if it would be possible to get something from the back. If the answer would have been no, I would have accepted it. It's not the crew's fault that management has unenlightened policies in place.
My point was, not to get the nice crew/SD in trouble.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 1:23 pm

My point was, not to get the nice crew/SD in trouble.
Ah yes. I realized that's probably what you meant right after I posted.

Given the lack of improvements to address the many issues / complaints consistently voiced here, I feel pretty confident management does not regularly peruse this forum.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I hate to talk about these things here, but I'm telling you right now that I have had success ordering from the back. I don't do it often but when it happens I don't get rejected.

Also, there was another time where I was in confirmed J and the red-scarf FA denied me my meal choice (coincidentally I have been denied by this same FA four times in five years on different flights Transcon and TATL flights), so in the end she let me have something of my choice from the Y BOB meal... so I guess AC deprived itself of revenue because of that.
I know it CAN be done. I've done it too.

I just don't believe that one can always get it free 20-25x per year.

--------

The next person who says a US airline is better than AC for catering I'm going to lose my crap.

I was just served an appetizer on a 4+ hour flight with an 1132 departure time.

There's no main coming. There aren't enough for the cabin.

Complain about AC's food all you want, but at least on AC, a 4 hour flight departing at 1132 gets you a hot meal.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ah yes. I realized that's probably what you meant right after I posted.

Given the lack of improvements to address the many issues / complaints consistently voiced here, I feel pretty confident management does not regularly peruse this forum.
Oh, they absolutely read this forum.

Most FTers here need to understand that AC's eyes are all over this forum. But what do I know.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Oh, they absolutely read this forum.

Most FTers here need to understand that AC's eyes are all over this forum. But what do I know.
100% agree.

AC management may have chosen to no longer participate here on FT, but there are many managers who read this forum.

In some cases they may take posts with a big grain of salt, but FT is still a very relevant source of information / feedback / etc.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:14 am

What did you think of the chicken dish?
It was fine... I just felt like eating chicken that afternoon, as I did not have a chance to eat lunch before the flight.

Carfield
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:18 am

AC 240 YVR-YEG July 2017 J/Class

Just flew AC 240 - a 1:05pm departure from Vancouver to Edmonton.

Got served a hot smoked salmon plate...(I prefer the other type of smoked salmon!)
Better than cheese plate on my YYZ-LGA flight...

A lightly loaded flight and J was 50% full! The excellent F/A passed out some packaged almonds after he passed out all the meals and beverages, too.

Lovely views

Enjoy!
Carfield
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
On all flights:

- Pre-departure drink sevice (Orange Juice or water)
- Menus on all flights (except short haul)
- Hot towels offered on all flights with meal service after take off
- Continuous beverage top up at all times.
- 2 choices of bread with all meals except for Short Haul PM snack.

Short Haul (0:46 - 1:59)

0500 - 0959: Hot breakfast (Omelet + fruit + yogurt)
1000 - 0459: Hot/cold snack with almonds

Medium Haul (2:00 - 3:59)

0500 - 0959: Hot breakfast (2 main course choices: omelet or healthy option + yogurt + fruit on tray)
1000 - 0459: Hot lunch/dinner (3 main course choices + salad + dessert cake on tray)

Long Haul (4:00+)

0500 - 0959: Hot breakfast (2 main course choices: omelet or healthy option + yogurt + fruit on tray)
1000 - 2229: Hot lunch/dinner (3 main course choices + salad + dessert cake on tray)
2230 - 0459 (Eastbound flights only, on Westbound flights dinner well be served): Hot breakfast (2 main course choices + fruit) served before landing

Snack basket available at all times.

Premium long haul: YUL/YOW/YYZ - YYC/YEG/YVR, YUL/YYZ - LAX/SFO, YYZ - BOG/CCS/MEX, YVR/YYC - EWR

0500 - 0959: Hot breakfast (fruit plate followed by 2 hot main course choices or healthy option + yogurt + fruit on tray)
1000 - 2229: Hot lunch or dinner (appetizer followed by 4 main course choices followed by cookies/ice cream as dessert)
2230 - 0459 (Eastbound flights only, on Westbound flights dinner well be served): Hot breakfast (fruit plate followed by 2 hot main course choices or healthy option + yogurt + fruit on tray)

Snack basket available at all times.

Breakfast healthy option = big fruit plate, yogurt, oatmeal. (+ Cheese on Premium long haul)
I remember when we used to get this kind of info on FT.

Now we mostly get speculations and AC vs UA debates... so good!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
Showed Mr FQ how to eUp with his E35K and he goes and picks the pasta when they have the BBQ chicken. Where did I go wrong???
Old Jul 3, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: *$ Green
Originally Posted by flyquiet
Showed Mr FQ how to eUp with his E35K and he goes and picks the pasta when they have the BBQ chicken. Where did I go wrong???
Time to start reaching out to a couple lawyers lol!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.