AC vs LH for Trans Atlantic

Old Jul 9, 09, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US-CP; UA-PE; CO-PE; HH;Diamond
AC vs LH for Trans Atlantic

Hi all- I am looking to go to Europe and have the option of flying business class in either AC or LH. AC would be from YOW in their 763 which according to their website is the upgraded cabin. I have flown LH business class and enjoyed it but not sure how it compares to AC. Thanks so much!
Old Jul 9, 09, 7:28 pm

Programs: AC.SE
AC has the better seat--pod vs angled lie-flat--but otherwise product is comparable. I personally give the edge to LH's catering. LH flight attendants are pretty efficient and don't usually leave you wanting for much, though I find them a bit less personal than AC FAs on a good day.

AC's IFE offerings are more to my taste but I've seen some good foreign films on LH. AC's IFE is easier to use, whereas LH's has never needed a reset in my experience. AC has a better amenity kit, if that matters to you.
Old Jul 9, 09, 7:49 pm

If you are flying Business Class then go with AC but if you can fly First go with LH.
Old Jul 9, 09, 11:49 pm

Programs: AC Elite, Aeroflot Bonus, LH Oil & Energy Club, LH Miles & More Silver, SPG Gold, Amex MR
If you like to sit and eat: LH

If you just want to sleep: AC

That is what it is reduced for for me. As a matter of fact, I'm dragging my family out to ZRH in LH "C" in about 14 hours from now, but, we return in AC "J" where we will catch up on our zzzzzzzzzzzzzzs.
Old Jul 9, 09, 11:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
If you are flying on the old LH C class the seat is crap in comparison to AC seat. Even Economy is better seat wise on AC. Meals give the prize to LH.

I would take the better seat over the meal any day.^
Old Jul 10, 09, 9:36 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by why fly View Post
If you are flying on the old LH C class the seat is crap in comparison to AC seat. Even Economy is better seat wise on AC. Meals give the prize to LH.

I would take the better seat over the meal any day.^
^
Old Jul 10, 09, 9:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan E
If it's a n option. Go North America to Europe on AC and get to sleep privately. Return on LH, which be a daylight flight and you get to enjoy the food.

Best of both worlds. I did this, when I flew to Europe last.
Old Jul 10, 09, 11:33 am

Going solo? Fly AC
Going with a friend? Fly LH
Old Jul 10, 09, 3:53 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Paying full fare business? Go with LH and get a free upgrade to First roundtrip....! See the LH forum for more.
Old Jul 10, 09, 6:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan P25K, Hertz Gold
My mother flew LH C (A340) YVR-FRA last week and said there was no amenity kit given. She flew back AC J (77W) LHR-YVR and said the seat was much better, as was the service.
Old Jul 10, 09, 9:45 pm

Seats and meals aside, if ur departing YOW to LHR or FRA, you have to go AC on the time savings alone. Is a better meal worth 4+ extra hours travel time?
I like to fly as much as most but 6 hours non stop beats a YYZ connection and the added chance for baggage or IRROPS every day of the week.
Old Jul 10, 09, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AC J over LH C anyday. LH's C seat is absolutely horrible. I'd say AC J food is better than LH C food. But maybe my expectations were too high and because it didn't meet them, I was disappointed.

However, going out of your way to experience LH F is definitely worth it.
Old Jul 12, 09, 10:34 am

Programs: no status
I haven't been on LH in many years and I am wondering how is the entertainment? The AC screens are not bad IMHO.
Old Jul 12, 09, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Merlin666 View Post
I haven't been on LH in many years and I am wondering how is the entertainment? The AC screens are not bad IMHO.
LH is in the middle of changing its C class. Its old C class entertainment is not as good as AC's
Old Jul 12, 09, 12:10 pm

From Ottawa on a nonstop to Europe, vs presumably connecting in Toronto onto LH?

I'm scratching my head as to why this is even a debate? Must be a rhetorical question.

Sure, if it's LH F vs AC J, it might make sense, but as a J vs J, I'd avoid the connection, thereby reducing the chances of Murphy's Law being evoked by more than 50%. AC can protect YOW customers in YYZ anyway since it has the second, later departure there.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: