FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Strike ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/9717-strike.html)

Rudi Aug 3, 1998 8:44 am

Strike ?

Air Canada's 2,100 pilots voted overwhelmingly in favor of strike action July 23. Of the 95 per cent of pilots who cast ballots, 97 per cent voted to strike according to the Air Canada Pilots Association (ACPA). In June, Canadian air traffic controllers voted almost 99 per cent for a strike. Both unions have applied for conciliation.

The federal labor minister has appointed two conciliators with a meeting scheduled among the three parties for August 10. If there is no progress when talks resume the union would have to give the airline seven days notice of a strike - making any action unlikely before mid to late August at the earliest. Both sides say they expect to see a negotiated settlement. If the pilots were to strike, it would be the first time in three decades.

megamiles Aug 3, 1998 11:26 am

I wouldn't worry about it Rudi, Air Canada never actually goes on strike - I'm from Canada and a Aeroplan Elite flier - this pilot issue is an annual event.

BlondeBomber Sep 2, 1998 3:51 am

It's official -- they are on strike now.
Go to their website.
here is some of the latest info.

Release: September 2, 1998

AIR CANADA TALKS WITH PILOTS UNION BREAK OFF

MONTREAL -- Talks between Air Canada and the Air Canada Pilots Association (ACPA) broke off late Tuesday evening September 1, 1998 without reaching a negotiated settlement. Consequently, ACPA has now begun legal strike action and the airline's operations are grounded. All Air Canada-operated flights scheduled September 2 and 3 will be cancelled. These dates will be extended on a day-to-day basis as the work stoppage continues. Further talks have not yet been scheduled.

Air Canada deeply regrets the significant inconvenience this labour disruption has caused its customers. While the airline has concluded agreements with a number of carriers for acceptance of Air Canada tickets, available seating is limited on many airlines as air traffic is currently at peak summer levels. Air Canada therefore encourages its customers to postpone their travel plans when at all possible.

To facilitate changes to travel dates, the airline has initiated a number of measures for customers holding restricted tickets. Change fees on restricted tickets purchased for travel September 2-6 are waived. Vouchers for future travel or refunds will be offered on restricted tickets purchased for travel September 2-6. These dates will be extended on a day-to-day basis as necessary.

Customers who have purchased an electronic ticket for travel until September 21 will be mailed a paper ticket to facilitate acceptance by other airlines.

BlondeBomber Sep 11, 1998 5:21 am

Flash - September 10, 1998 - 22:00 EDT

AIR CANADA AND PILOTS REACH TENTATIVE AGREEMENT

MONTREAL -- Air Canada and the Air Canada Pilots Association (ACPA) reached a tentative contract agreement at 8:30 p.m. EDT September 10, 1998. The agreement now requires ratification by the airline's 2,100 striking pilots before operations can resume. The ratification process is expected to take two to three days as ACPA conducts a vote of its members across Canada.

Once Air Canada pilots have ratified the agreement, the airline will begin phasing in operations within 24 hours. Service would resume to most destinations within three to four days once aircraft are repositioned and crews flown in to operate flights.

Catman Sep 11, 1998 1:27 pm

I saw and wrote this story on my newsjob
this morning and said to myself HURRAY! I
was giving them until next friday to settle
then I would try to go for a paper ticket.

Assuming that the pilots will settle. I've
flown Air canada in the past, like their service and now can look forward to flying
them again to Toronto next month! CATMAN