Wiki Posts
Search

Need some ideas

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Need some ideas

Hi I am about to start planning my trip for next year when I turn 45 yrs young. I have 120,000 air Canada points. I would like to do a RTW trip. Here are some places i would like to visit. Russia, South africa, china. Can anyone help me construct a route for this?? I want to get the best bang for my points. Is this route doable??
Old Jun 17, 2009, 5:18 am

Programs: status-free
Russia and China yes, I think, South Africa maybe not. You might be better off doing SA by flying SAA when they have their deep discount help-our-currency-is-in-the-toilet sales.

And the consensus on the list seems to be, burn the extra miles and go for first class.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:33 am

Programs: AC E50
I agree on burning the extra miles and flying first...Singapore would be a nice stop on your trip, and so would Stockholm...but those are just my choices..
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:38 am

Programs: AC E50
a few ideas

Originally Posted by biglinguist
Russia and China yes, I think, South Africa maybe not. You might be better off doing SA by flying SAA when they have their deep discount help-our-currency-is-in-the-toilet sales.

And the consensus on the list seems to be, burn the extra miles and go for first class.
Agree completely on the miles burn to go first..

Would suggest adding Stockholm and Singapore to any RTW...two great places to visit..Malaysia might also be a good stop...
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chaptwo
Agree completely on the miles burn to go first..

Would suggest adding Stockholm and Singapore to any RTW...two great places to visit..Malaysia might also be a good stop...
I was in Sinapore last year as i used 100000 in business class to fly there in SQ airlines. Then to Thailand and to Japan all in business class. Now I would like to cross the Atlantic and see some other countries in Europe or somewhere in the Baltic then make my way to China and back to Toronto. This is my plan at the moment. In terms of stopovers. is what I am trying to deal with and how to make the best of long haul flights.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 9:46 am

Programs: AC 75K
Unless you're on a true RTW award ticket which are way more that 120,000 points, you're going to be limited to 2 stopovers + "your point of return"...generally the furthest point from your origin. You also have be within MPM or using a valid routing.

Off the top of my head I would say South Africa is out if you want to include China or Russia...unless you can find a routing rule that includes SA as a valid stop on the way to China ( I doubt this is possible) I don't think Russia will be easy either.

Generally you can do North America - Europe/Middle East - Asia - North America on a standard award. Anything else would most likely have to be a RTW ticket.
Old Jun 17, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
The Star Alliance "Europe pass" includes Moscow and St Petersburg. My suggestion is to strategically choose your stopover points and buy a separate Europe pass for Europe and buy separate tix in China (from either SHA or PVG).
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Braindrain
The Star Alliance "Europe pass" includes Moscow and St Petersburg. My suggestion is to strategically choose your stopover points and buy a separate Europe pass for Europe and buy separate tix in China (from either SHA or PVG).
Thanks did not know about the passes.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 6:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Ramz
Thanks did not know about the passes.
These are very good deals. I've found that in Europe, reputable carriers require a return flight to give you a cheaper seats. With the Europe pass, I got the cheap rates but was able to fly from city to city without have to do return flights to the hub. In my case, FCO-CPH-OSL-BLQ and then took the train back to Rome so didn't have to fly and actually got to see some countryside for once.

Book the request through the Star Alliance website and it will be sent to a carrier for ticketing. I booked mine through LH who were really great to work with (I had date changes to make along the way.)
Old Jun 18, 2009, 4:45 pm

Programs: TK*G, AP Prestige, BAEC, Alaska Air MP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold HHonors GOLD VIP, Hyatt GOLD
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Unless you're on a true RTW award ticket which are way more that 120,000 points, you're going to be limited to 2 stopovers + "your point of return"...generally the furthest point from your origin. You also have be within MPM or using a valid routing.

Off the top of my head I would say South Africa is out if you want to include China or Russia...unless you can find a routing rule that includes SA as a valid stop on the way to China ( I doubt this is possible) I don't think Russia will be easy either.

Generally you can do North America - Europe/Middle East - Asia - North America on a standard award. Anything else would most likely have to be a RTW ticket.
Is a North America - Australia (stopover) - Asia ( eg. SIN - final destination) - Europe (eg FRA - stopover) - North America a possible 120,000 F or 100, 000 J award? What is the MPM limit for such a routing?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.