Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Non-XMed 767

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum
Non-XMed 767

I searched and can't find any recent posts so sorry if this is repetitious.
I'm using a SSWU YYZ-YVR on Wednesday. I got burned every time I used them last year on downguaged aircraft so am curious of those 3 non-XMed 767s are still being used. If so, what is the exec cabin configuration? Don't want to get stuck in a 2-2-2 again - I'd rather just sit in the back.
Thanks!!
Old Jun 13, 2009, 12:51 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
The J config is 2-2-1 with the old international J seats.

These 763s are still appearing in the fleet stats along side the replacement 77W.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:01 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
In spite of the absence of AVOD on these 763's, in terms of actual space and comfort on a transcon, these heritage specimens still surpass any of the narrow-bodied aircraft. Was that diplomatically put??

Perhaps Andrew can confirm, I was told by maintenance the other day, that one of the 'three amigos' was removed from the fleet (fin 689) and sent South. And then there were two.....??
Old Jun 13, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Well said ACYYZ/SD

I have to say that for any daytime (or non-sleepover) flights, I prefer the old basket seats. You can talk to the person next to you and you are not trapped in your personal space. For long hauls I love the lie-flat pods, but otherwise, give me the heritage seats.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 2:34 pm

Programs: AC E
I know that the old 763's are used on the YYZ-LIM route, having been on them both ways in the past couple weeks. I think they're all used on routes to South America and sun destinations; nothing domestic.

Anyway, I used an upgrade cert on the way down to LIM and was quite happy with my decision; the J seats are comfortable, and if you want a selection of movies, they'll bring you a DVD player. I've been used to the pods, and was hesitant to use my cert, but I'm glad I did; the old config isn't that bad at all. The old 762's on the other hand...
Old Jun 13, 2009, 5:10 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
In spite of the absence of AVOD on these 763's, in terms of actual space and comfort on a transcon, these heritage specimens still surpass any of the narrow-bodied aircraft. Was that diplomatically put??

Perhaps Andrew can confirm, I was told by maintenance the other day, that one of the 'three amigos' was removed from the fleet (fin 689) and sent South. And then there were two.....??
3 763s are still going to be operating for now. LIM/BOG/DUB/LAS for the summer.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 7:45 pm

Oh no! I just checked the seat map on the DUB->YYZ flight on July 2 and indeed, it does look like an non-XM'd 763 (although there is a "new interior" star beside the flight in the list). I am going to be flying with my 2 year old in J and really hope it turns out to be an XM'd plane. It is surprising that a non-XM's plane would be used on a Europe route. Is that why the flight shows as having no meal?
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by VictoriaTravelNut
Oh no! I just checked the seat map on the DUB->YYZ flight on July 2 and indeed, it does look like an non-XM'd 763 (although there is a "new interior" star beside the flight in the list). I am going to be flying with my 2 year old in J and really hope it turns out to be an XM'd plane. It is surprising that a non-XM's plane would be used on a Europe route. Is that why the flight shows as having no meal?
Unless your 2yr old will actually be not-quite-2 and you're carrying her/him, this configuration will actually be the preferrable option between the two cabin styles.
Old Jun 13, 2009, 8:13 pm

Oops, sorry - I got the fare class wrong. I am actually in tango plus, and therefore riding "in the back". I don't have any SSWU certificates either.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold; AE; AA Platinum; Club Carlson Gold; SPG Gold; HHonorsGold, Accor Platinum
Thanks for the replies! Though I've still never tried the pod I will not be annoyed if it is the heritage seat either as I've also always found them very comfortable with plenty of space.
Cheers
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I was on one of these Non-XMed 763s today- on the 40-minute flight 461 from YOW to YYZ. I was quite surprised! It did have the 2-2-1 configuration in J. Fin number is 687.

It looks very tired, but got us to YYZ ok for my connection. It brought back memories on sleep-deprived nights on the Asian flights.

I have had 2 instances in recent months on YYZ-YOW where I got an XMed 763- I assume they were moving them there for the LHR or FRA flights.

It has been quite a while since I have been on a non-XMed 763. Last flight was from EZE-YYZ in January 2008.
Old Jul 19, 2009, 4:58 pm

Sorry, mis-read your post - indeed an XM aircraft on YOW Rapidair could be a positioning for FRA or LHR, but are often used on turns (YYZ-YOW-YYZ) when demand warrants. Same on YUL Rapidair. A non-XM aircraft could theoretically show up on these flights due to operational reasons, but it would be rare.

Last edited by ac-YUL; Jul 19, 2009 at 5:07 pm Reason: Correction
Old Jul 19, 2009, 5:52 pm
Company Representative - Air Canada

Originally Posted by Plumber
I was on one of these Non-XMed 763s today- on the 40-minute flight 461 from YOW to YYZ. I was quite surprised! It did have the 2-2-1 configuration in J. Fin number is 687.

It looks very tired, but got us to YYZ ok for my connection. It brought back memories on sleep-deprived nights on the Asian flights.

I have had 2 instances in recent months on YYZ-YOW where I got an XMed 763- I assume they were moving them there for the LHR or FRA flights.

It has been quite a while since I have been on a non-XMed 763. Last flight was from EZE-YYZ in January 2008.
Non XM not used on LHR or FRA so in your case plane would have been only doing a simple YYZ/YOW return.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 8:47 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
Non XM not used on LHR or FRA so in your case plane would have been only doing a simple YYZ/YOW return.
Thanks Andrew---

Though I forgot to mention that there was an "Executive First" Menu in my seat pocket (left there from a previous flight) that was in English, French and German! I did not look close enough to determie if it was the overnight menu (with the express cold platter). So I assumed this plane was recently used on a flight to or from Frankfurt (maybe not from Ottawa?).

Then again, maybe someone just left it there after carrying it from their previous flight.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:10 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
A few weeks ago I booked a flight from LHR-YVR-HNL-YVR-YYZ-LHR in September and noted that the YVR-HNL-YVR segments were on non-Xmed 767's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.