Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 25, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
So we can all get a handle on how they are going to work in the real world, how much they will cost, et c.

Post flight, date, route, original fare basis (T, T+, Lat, etc), and if known, seat inventory (i.e. J9, C7, Z5, I3). If you do upgrade, please also let us know how many empty J seats there were in the cabin, if any. And if you were considering a certificate upgrade, why or why you didn't opt for the LMU.

It would be helpful if this thread could be limited to "just the facts" and no discussion, which could be posted elsewhere. That should make this thread more useful for everyone.

Should anyone want to discuss LMU's further please post in this thread:

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions
Print Wikipost

Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yqtyyz
I flew YYZ-HKG last week and upgraded myself for $899 from Tango Plus 24 hours prior to departure. Thought about it, and decided to treat myself, considering it was a 15 hr flight.

3 people in the aft J cabin, including myself. Considering it was $3400+ one way in Executive Lowest, I'm pretty happy!

Not sure if it was a great deal overall as it was my first ever LMU purchase, but way better than the LMU offered when I flew SFO-YYZ... that upgrade option was approximately $1300.
That was a nice deal.

How in the world AC sells upgrades on T is beyond me.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Allvest
Sigh. I have posted here before.

It appears based on the above recent posts, AC is not selling its J seats and has to renegade to flogging those empty seats with LMU at a deep discount.

AC's Executive First Lowest is 10% ($600~700) more expensive than CX and $1,000 more expensive than UA. If I don't mind BR, I save $3,000. If I don't mind the long layover in ZRH and IST, LX and TK are also $1,000 cheaper than AC. AC has the most expensive discount business class fare from YYZ to HKG.

R=0 on many flights. So even for those who do not want to play aerolotto and are willing to buy Latitude to confirm the eUpgrade at time of booking is unable to do so.

What does AC expect? For other than those who are tied to AC through corporate arrangements, I personally (as well as those who I know) cannot justify paying an extra 10% ($600~700) to fly AC instead of CX when both are offering lie-flat suite and non-stop direct service. Additionally, CX will throw in a pair of HKG-PVG, or HKG-PEK or HKG-TPE return business class tickets for free. A nice side trip.

So an extra $899 is still an extra $899 into AC's pocket. Those on T+ can wait for the leftover. They already bought the ticket and are playing aerolotto in AC's view.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Sigh. I have posted here before.

It appears based on the above recent posts, AC is not selling its J seats and has to renegade to flogging those empty seats with LMU at a deep discount.

AC's Executive First Lowest is 10% ($600~700) more expensive than CX and $1,000 more expensive than UA. If I don't mind BR, I save $3,000. If I don't mind the long layover in ZRH and IST, LX and TK are also $1,000 cheaper than AC. AC has the most expensive discount business class fare from YYZ to HKG.

R=0 on many flights. So even for those who do not want to play aerolotto and are willing to buy Latitude to confirm the eUpgrade at time of booking is unable to do so.

What does AC expect? For other than those who are tied to AC through corporate arrangements, I personally (as well as those who I know) cannot justify paying an extra 10% ($600~700) to fly AC instead of CX when both are offering lie-flat suite and non-stop direct service. Additionally, CX will throw in a pair of HKG-PVG, or HKG-PEK or HKG-TPE return business class tickets for free. A nice side trip.

So an extra $899 is still an extra $899 into AC's pocket. Those on T+ can wait for the leftover. They already bought the ticket and are playing aerolotto in AC's view.
I book discount J on AC only when I have a 20% off code AND there is a decent fare. But CX is sounding compelling. Have done the LX deal before too.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*Gold), DL, CZ
True, $899 is $899, as someone mentioned.

To a commoner such as myself, I figure AC would rather see who'll bite the bait as opposed to having the cabin sit empty.

Would I be correct in surmising that the price would be higher if they had booked more J seats already?

Originally Posted by Allvest
That was a nice deal.

Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:16 pm

Would I be correct in surmising that the price would be higher if they had booked more J seats already?
Yes. If the cabin was J=1 when check-in opened it is unlikely AC would be offering it at $899.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 8:16 pm
Suspended

True, $899 is $899, as someone mentioned.

To a commoner such as myself, I figure AC would rather see who'll bite the bait as opposed to having the cabin sit empty.

Maybe. Nobody knows. It might have been higher if upgraded from a T fare
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:27 pm

yow to lhr

Had use a 15% code when I booked this, 24 hr web checkin got both seats $799+ taxes for each person.

Accepted it as I wanted a treat. In the end if you compared to booking executive in the first place it was 50% off before fees. It is a steap price considering going to hong Kong for 3 times the flight time is the same price.

Last edited by Denis Wee; Sep 4, 2012 at 2:33 pm
Old Sep 4, 2012, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
So I thought I'd try to contribute something to this forum, since I'm new.

This thread looks like it has a lot of information and no easy way to find anything, so I made a little database with a web interface at http://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/lmu.php

Right now, there's no data in it, but I hope that if a few people can go back and enter their own LMUs, that we'll soon have a nice way to really compare LMU prices so we know if we're getting a good deal or not.

Let me know what you think, or if there are any improvements I should make, or if it's missing any information.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: AC SEMM, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canadiancow

This thread looks like it has a lot of information and no easy way to find anything, so I made a little database with a web interface at http://flyertalk.canadiancow.com/lmu.php

Right now, there's no data in it, but I hope that if a few people can go back and enter their own LMUs, that we'll soon have a nice way to really compare LMU prices so we know if we're getting a good deal or not.

Let me know what you think, or if there are any improvements I should make, or if it's missing any information.
Very good idea!

My suggestions:
- Make that database browse able (aka display the whole table), and then have fields to filter out data by route, fare, etc.
- It would be nice to see not only the flight number, but also the airport codes
- As we pour in more data you could even go crazy and add dynamic graphics to show price history on a given route...

Keep up the good work ^

Last edited by gabdusch; Sep 4, 2012 at 10:29 pm
Old Sep 4, 2012, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by gabdusch
Very good idea!

My suggestions:
- Make that database browse able (aka display the whole table), and then have fields to filter out data by route, fare, etc.
- It would be nice to see not only the flight number, but also the airport codes
- As we pour in more data you could even go crazy and add dynamic graphics to show price history on a given route...

Keep up the good work ^
I updated it with your first suggestion (why I didn't do that from the beginning... it would have been easier this way), so at least now anyone can see all the data that's being added (not much so far... I should go add mine).

I don't suppose you know where I could get a list of all Air Canada flights (flight number and airport codes) that I could easily import. I don't really see the benefit in everyone having to enter the same airport codes when the flight number already has that information.

Edit: I have support for displaying the airport codes now, but each flight number needs to be added to my database once before it will show up for that flight.

Last edited by canadiancow; Sep 4, 2012 at 11:32 pm
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
I updated it with your first suggestion (why I didn't do that from the beginning... it would have been easier this way), so at least now anyone can see all the data that's being added (not much so far... I should go add mine).

I don't suppose you know where I could get a list of all Air Canada flights (flight number and airport codes) that I could easily import. I don't really see the benefit in everyone having to enter the same airport codes when the flight number already has that information.

Edit: I have support for displaying the airport codes now, but each flight number needs to be added to my database once before it will show up for that flight.
Very cool. I have a suggestion for you: I would remove the fare types J/C/Z Executive Lowest, Flexible, etc. from your pick list as one would not be offered an LMU if they are confirmed in Executive already. Also, I would add Reward as a fare type since I know some have been offered LMU in this scenario.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 6:31 am

Just another data point.

Was offered upgrade for $1298 (boy, have upgrade prices gone way up from last year) plus applicable taxes during OLCI for YYZ-HKG Sep 6 on China Pass. Declined! Don't say I didnt help out other SE/E for upgrade chances.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by YQMer
Very cool. I have a suggestion for you: I would remove the fare types J/C/Z Executive Lowest, Flexible, etc. from your pick list as one would not be offered an LMU if they are confirmed in Executive already. Also, I would add Reward as a fare type since I know some have been offered LMU in this scenario.
Good point
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:44 am

Great idea, I've added as many of mine as I could find on the thread
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Just updated mine as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.