Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here.

Old May 25, 2015, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: tcook052
So we can all get a handle on how they are going to work in the real world, how much they will cost, et c.

Post flight, date, route, original fare basis (T, T+, Lat, etc), and if known, seat inventory (i.e. J9, C7, Z5, I3). If you do upgrade, please also let us know how many empty J seats there were in the cabin, if any. And if you were considering a certificate upgrade, why or why you didn't opt for the LMU.

It would be helpful if this thread could be limited to "just the facts" and no discussion, which could be posted elsewhere. That should make this thread more useful for everyone.

Should anyone want to discuss LMU's further please post in this thread:

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions
Print Wikipost

Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here.

Old May 9, 2010, 9:52 pm

She was connecting from YYZ and OLCI was opened this evening (Sunday) at 9:30 pm EDT for Monday YYZ-YVR (LMU declined for $349), then connecting to AC17 YVR-HKG departing YVR at 2:00 am PDT Tuesday (LMU accepted for $849), I think that is 30+ hr. She is on T+ fare.

Last edited by avmca2050; May 9, 2010 at 10:01 pm
Old May 9, 2010, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by payam81
Also, what was your companion's original fare class? $849 is pretty good if on a Tango Plus.
The original fare is not relevant. $850 is $850 for the upgrade regardless of how much was already spent.

If I offer you a coffee for $10 is that a good deal if I already gave you a $10 breakfast for free?

I'm not sure how much an upgrade on YVR-HKG is worth but it's definitely a flight where it's worth something. How much it's worth is independent of how much you've already spent today on other things like your ticket.
Old May 9, 2010, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by zkzkz
The original fare is not relevant. $850 is $850 for the upgrade regardless of how much was already spent.

If I offer you a coffee for $10 is that a good deal if I already gave you a $10 breakfast for free?

I'm not sure how much an upgrade on YVR-HKG is worth but it's definitely a flight where it's worth something. How much it's worth is independent of how much you've already spent today on other things like your ticket.
I think it depends on your point of view; the base fare could be relevant. I've got a trip planned YEG-YYZ this summer. I've already booked myself in T+, and have booked 2 J aeroplan tickets for family members.

Based on previous posts, it appears that the typical LMU price for this is approximately $300. At the time of booking, the price difference between T+ and Lat is $400. I could book a Lat fare and confirm an upgrade now, but I've decided to roll the dice and try for a LMU. For me, I want to sit up front and am trying to do so in a way where the final all-in price will be lower than if I had bought a Lat fare to begin with. Of course, the possibility of a repeat of last year's special deal where you could use a NAU on T+ fares also entered into my decision making process.
Old May 10, 2010, 12:21 am

Programs: AC SEMM
YVR-LAS $219 Tango Plus
Old May 10, 2010, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I think it depends on your point of view; the base fare could be relevant. I've got a trip planned YEG-YYZ this summer. I've already booked myself in T+, and have booked 2 J aeroplan tickets for family members.

Based on previous posts, it appears that the typical LMU price for this is approximately $300. At the time of booking, the price difference between T+ and Lat is $400. I could book a Lat fare and confirm an upgrade now, but I've decided to roll the dice and try for a LMU. For me, I want to sit up front and am trying to do so in a way where the final all-in price will be lower than if I had bought a Lat fare to begin with. Of course, the possibility of a repeat of last year's special deal where you could use a NAU on T+ fares also entered into my decision making process.
There is of course the issue of certainty (upgrade confirmed at time of booking) vs. aerolotto since LMUP may not necessarily be offered and it is somewhat of a "waste" to use a SSWU for a <4-hour YEG-YYZ trip. At the end, it's a personal choice. When comparing $400 to have the upgrade confirmed to those with no status and have to pay full business, it's a steal.
Old May 10, 2010, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by YEG USER
I think it depends on your point of view; the base fare could be relevant.
If by "point of view" you mean it could be relevant before you buy the original ticket then sure. But once you've paid for the ticket and that money is non-refundable then it's no longer relevant to the value proposition of the upgrade.

Based on previous posts, it appears that the typical LMU price for this is approximately $300. At the time of booking, the price difference between T+ and Lat is $400.
So you've already decided the upgrade is not worth $400, it might still be worth $300 or not. It doesn't make it any more worth $300 if you happen to have found a cheap Tango fare though. Or any less if you happened to have paid extra for a more expensive fare.
Old May 10, 2010, 9:40 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
$349 LAS-YYZ redeye, passed, got op-up...

Shame I wasn't so lucky elsewhere in LAS!
Old May 10, 2010, 11:02 am

Programs: AP, HHonours Diamond
Originally Posted by avmca2050
She was connecting from YYZ and OLCI was opened this evening (Sunday) at 9:30 pm EDT for Monday YYZ-YVR (LMU declined for $349), then connecting to AC17 YVR-HKG departing YVR at 2:00 am PDT Tuesday (LMU accepted for $849), I think that is 30+ hr. She is on T+ fare.
Interesting. The reason I asked is cause I've always thought the rule for OLCI with connecting flights was 30 hours prior to the departure time for the last flight as mentioned on AC:

Restrictions:
Within the 24-hour period prior to departure of all your flights; and

* at least 30 minutes prior to departure for flights within Canada
* at least 1 hour prior to departure for flights between Canada and the USA
* at least 1 hour prior to departure for flights between Canada and other countries
* if you have a connecting flight, up to 24 hours prior to departure time of your final connecting flight
Old May 10, 2010, 11:07 am

How is it not relevant? If you got a cheap T+ fare and you get lucky with an LMU for a reasonable price on such a busy, not to mention long, flight it IS a good deal anyway you look at it compared to what you would have to pay for a J, C or Z fare. Fact is a cheap T+ + LMU is usually < J, C or Z, that's how I look it at anyway.
Old May 10, 2010, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by payam81
it IS a good deal anyway you look at it compared to what you would have to pay for a J, C or Z fare. Fact is a cheap T+ + LMU is usually < J, C or Z, that's how I look it at anyway.
Because you're not comparing the two options you have. The options you have are T+ for $x or T+ + LMU for $x+$y. Either way the $x is already spent.

Just to be clear I'm not disputing whether a cheap fare + LMU ends up being a good deal. I'm just saying that once you've spent the money on the cheap fare it's no longer relevant how cheap it is to judging whether to take the LMU.

I fall back to my analogy of the $10 coffee. Whether I've previously given you a $10 breakfast for free, or for that matter a RTW plane ticket doesn't change the value proposition of the $10 coffee. You're only being asked whether you want the coffee, not the whole package.

The question of whether you should take the Z fare or buy T/T+ in hopes of an LMU is another question. But that doesn't change whether you should take the LMU or not once you've already rolled the dice with the cheap fare. That ship has left and now the only question is whether the upgrade is worth what they're asking for it.

If I'm still not being clear all I can say is I hope to meet you guys one day at a poker table

Last edited by zkzkz; May 10, 2010 at 4:14 pm Reason: clarify argument
Old May 10, 2010, 5:17 pm

If I'm still not being clear all I can say is I hope to meet you guys one day at a poker table
That made me chuckle. ^

No, I get your point. However, while the upgrade itself can be valued separately, the total cost of the service should also be weight in. Alas, I think $849 for a HKG flight could be hot as hell when economy is full or just cool when economy loads are low and you could get a whole row to yourself, which incidentally, I find a lot more comfortable than the J Pod.
Old May 10, 2010, 7:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
I am on the side that it does make a difference to me what I paid initially for the ticket. I paid $530ai for YYZ-CDG in March. I was offered an LMU for $699. My reasoning was 530+699 = $1229 for my ticket with my overnight in J. A great deal to me. I took it. If I had paid $1100 for my ticket + 699LMU then $1799 would seem too much for me and I would have turned it down. To me the total I paid for the ticket did make the reason I took the LMU.
Old May 12, 2010, 1:13 am

Programs: Super Elite 100K, Mariott Ambassador Elite,
Just to be clear I'm not disputing whether a cheap fare + LMU ends up being a good deal. I'm just saying that once you've spent the money on the cheap fare it's no longer relevant how cheap it is to judging whether to take the LMU.
The total price also has to do with a person's budget.

Let's say I have $2000 budgeted for YYZ-NRT which fares can range depending on your flexibility. If I have to by a fare that comes in at say $1800ai and am offered an upgrade for $849 It's over my budget and either not worth it or even not possible.

But if I got a $1100ai fare then I can do the upgrade within my budget and I'm flying upfront for what I was already prepared to pay.

This can be even more relevant to people traveling on the company dime who just care about how much they are going to expense back.

I don't disagree with your view. I think we all chose different views at times to try and justify what we want to do :-)
Old May 12, 2010, 6:36 am

We need to keep in mind that LMUP may not be offered on every flight.

The option of buying T+ and then purchase LMUP is available only if AC offers that option for that flight. It's a different kind of aerolotto from using cert.

I had a situation where I'd have been prepared to buy LMUP if offered at a reasonable price. It was not offered. I ended up waitlisting using a cert. and I won.
Old May 12, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
YOW-YYZ $99
YYZ-CDG $749

@OLCI, about 12 hours prior
T+
x2 (self + spouse)

declined both

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.