Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums >
Reload this Page >

Miles&Points

Airlines and Mileage Programs

Air Canada | Aeroplan

Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here.

Post your LMUs (Last Minute Upgrades) here.

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 5, 17, 2:52 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: tcook052
Wiki Link
So we can all get a handle on how they are going to work in the real world, how much they will cost, et c.

Post flight, date, route, original fare basis (T, T+, Lat, etc), and if known, seat inventory (i.e. J9, C7, Z5, I3). If you do upgrade, please also let us know how many empty J seats there were in the cabin, if any. And if you were considering a certificate upgrade, why or why you didn't opt for the LMU.

It would be helpful if this thread could be limited to "just the facts" and no discussion, which could be posted elsewhere. That should make this thread more useful for everyone.

Should anyone want to discuss LMU's further please post in this thread:

LMU (Last Minute Upgrades) fare discussion & questions
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 5, 13, 7:43 am

Programs: AC*E
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Where exactly do these options show up? Do they email you after you are checked in if say at t-4 there is an LMU available or do I keep refreshing my check in on my phone?
Hi.
LMUs are offered at check-in, either web-check in, or using the kiosks at the airport. Sometimes I get an explicit "Do you want to upgrade?" full screen prompt, other times it's a button near the "change seats" button.
Old Feb 5, 13, 10:49 am

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
I've seen offers on the boarding-pass printer at the airport if I was unable to print (or wanted to reprint) my BP, so that would be T-2 or 3.

Other than waiting to that point, what would I do if I'd already checked in if I wanted to purchase a reduced cost upgrade? I could undo checkin but that would mean my time of checkin would change and presumably there is a downside to that.
Old Feb 5, 13, 11:13 am

Programs: AC: E50K, AP: dDiamond
Originally Posted by drdrma View Post
Hi.
LMUs are offered at check-in, either web-check in, or using the kiosks at the airport. Sometimes I get an explicit "Do you want to upgrade?" full screen prompt, other times it's a button near the "change seats" button.
It seems from reading this thread that the later you check in, the lower the price of the LMU. Does it make sense then if you have already reserved seats to wait until the last minute to check in? I always check in at close to t-24 but that seems like it might be hosing me.

Mark
Old Feb 5, 13, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by flyquiet View Post
I've seen offers on the boarding-pass printer at the airport if I was unable to print (or wanted to reprint) my BP, so that would be T-2 or 3.

Other than waiting to that point, what would I do if I'd already checked in if I wanted to purchase a reduced cost upgrade? I could undo checkin but that would mean my time of checkin would change and presumably there is a downside to that.
Open up OLCI again and it will offer you an upgrade if on is available (even without cancelling your check-in).
Old Feb 5, 13, 11:46 am

Programs: AC*E50K
17.1.2013 YOW - YYZ AC 469
Flex fare, T-24 check in, $89.00+tax

22.1.2013 YYZ-YOW AC 442
Flex fare, T-24, $98+tax ($10 more for breakfast, perhaps?)

29.1.2013 YYZ - YVR (late evening)
Flex fare, T-24 hr checkin $648+tax (yep, nope - and thankfully got eUped)

l.

Last edited by lowdown; Feb 5, 13 at 11:54 am
Old Feb 5, 13, 3:18 pm

Flex Fare YYZ-YEG on Feb. 4 at 24 hr was, as I recall, $549 or $599 but I can't remember as I burst out laughing at how absurd that was and kept the Bulkhead I had selected as a UA Gold!

Flight had 3 empty seats in the front.
Old Feb 5, 13, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E75K (*G), NEXUS
Originally Posted by rehoult View Post
Open up OLCI again and it will offer you an upgrade if on is available (even without cancelling your check-in).
Thanks!
This solution solves lowside67s question too. Check in as early as you're able, and then peek in later to see if a better quote is posted.
Old Feb 7, 13, 7:08 am

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
AC07 YYZ-YVR departing 08 Feb (weather permitting) T-24 OLCI upgrade offered for $498 plus tax!!

Over $100/hr to sit in a pod....no thanks!!
Old Feb 8, 13, 8:56 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
It seems from reading this thread that the later you check in, the lower the price of the LMU. Does it make sense then if you have already reserved seats to wait until the last minute to check in? I always check in at close to t-24 but that seems like it might be hosing me.

Mark
As far as I can tell, there is a correlation between the fare classes that remain available and the LMU offer price. I had a better sense of this when I was doing YYZ-YYC weekly in the summer but I can't remember the details. You're correct that in many cases the LMU price does decline the closer you get to departure, but this is not invariably the case. The best approach is to check the offer price at T-24; if you're willing to pay it for the certainty, pay it. If you're willing to gamble, then wait. As far as I can tell, again based on personal experience, the price will only go down - so the risk you're taking is that LMUs will be sold out, against the possibility of the price declining. It helps to have a sense of the space on the flight, especially in the J classes (C, Z) and the high Y classes (B, Y). I don't think there's any relationship between R space and LMUs.

The most irritating thing is that if you're on the upgrade waitlist, the LMU option isn't even offered. So if you want to check in early to improve your priority on the upgrade waitlist, you don't really have the option to play the waiting game. It would be nice, after check-in, to be able to log on and to be presented with the option of buying an available LMU or remaining on the upgrade waitlist.
Old Feb 8, 13, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Neil791 View Post
AC07 YYZ-YVR departing 08 Feb (weather permitting) T-24 OLCI upgrade offered for $498 plus tax!!

Over $100/hr to sit in a pod....no thanks!!
I think this is a reasonable price; depends upon how you value your time and comfort, I suppose. If I can work (and bill for) 3+ hours and be comfortable on a transcon, and avoid the R games uncertainty, it's worth every penny.
Old Feb 8, 13, 10:08 am
CT1

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Plat, Aeroplan dDiamond
T-24, YEG-YYZ Feb 9. $349+tax, Flex fare. Tempted but declined for now. Will check back later to see if price goes down.
Old Feb 8, 13, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
T-24, YEG-YYZ Feb 9. $349+tax, Flex fare. Tempted but declined for now. Will check back later to see if price goes down.
I think that's as low as it goes. Used to see $299, but not for a year or so now.
Old Feb 8, 13, 3:35 pm

Programs: NEXUS; *A Gold
Originally Posted by RevvedUp View Post
I think this is a reasonable price; depends upon how you value your time and comfort, I suppose. If I can work (and bill for) 3+ hours and be comfortable on a transcon, and avoid the R games uncertainty, it's worth every penny.
If you're deferring the cost to someone else (i.e. for work) than I see your point; however for the common consumer who's simply flying across country and is happy with the D seat in row 20 on a 777 than its not worth it.

If I were to fly TPAC or TATL where sleep was required I might consider it but even then I'd be hard pressed to shell out even more money for something which is already becoming more and more inflated in cost.
Old Feb 8, 13, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriot Platinum ( lifetime gold)
YYZ LAS

2/8 AC 556 LAS YYZ
$649 OLCI
$799 at gate
Do I need to add.....declined
Old Feb 8, 13, 7:23 pm

Programs: United Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by RevvedUp View Post
The most irritating thing is that if you're on the upgrade waitlist, the LMU option isn't even offered. So if you want to check in early to improve your priority on the upgrade waitlist, you don't really have the option to play the waiting game. It would be nice, after check-in, to be able to log on and to be presented with the option of buying an available LMU or remaining on the upgrade waitlist.
I've noticed this too. I suppose AC doesn't want to annoy elite travellers who are on the waiting list by presenting them with offers for cash upgrades.

Search this Thread