FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   Muslim Meal on Air Canada International Flt AC003 YVR-NRT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/958729-muslim-meal-air-canada-international-flt-ac003-yvr-nrt.html)

mrx900 May 27, 2009 2:52 pm

Muslim Meal on Air Canada International Flt AC003 YVR-NRT

Has any Muslim here ever ordered the Muslim meal on AC003-YVR-NRT? I wanted to know if I will actually be getting a meat or meat-like product in Tango +. Usually, the Hindu meal is the same as the Muslim meal, and they just assume 'all' Muslims eat curry, but it would be nice to get some meat.

ACYYZ/SD May 27, 2009 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 11814293)
Has any Muslim here ever ordered the Muslim meal on AC003-YVR-NRT? I wanted to know if I will actually be getting a meat or meat-like product in Tango +. Usually, the Hindu meal is the same as the Muslim meal, and they just assume 'all' Muslims eat curry, but it would be nice to get some meat.

As an option/alternative, many Muslim customers actually order Kosher meals, as dietary/religious preparations are similar.

mrx900 May 27, 2009 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 11814469)
As an option/alternative, many Muslim customers actually order Kosher meals, as dietary/religious preparations are similar.

Whats usually in the kosher meal? Some kind of meat at least? or is it pretty bland and I'd be better off with the Muslim 'curry' meal?

ACYYZ/SD May 27, 2009 4:25 pm

Typical rotation Main Meal:

Chick Pea/Marinated Vegetable Salad
Bread Roll w/margerine
Chicken breast with rice/vegetables
Chocolate or Apple Cake
Individual bottled water.

Quality decent out of Canada, and slightly better out of Japan.

If you're looking for something spicy, perhaps an Asian Vegetarian Meal.

emcampbe May 27, 2009 6:16 pm

I haven't had it on this route, or on any route in quite a while, but everytime I ordered them (used to quite frequently), the kosher meals were always better than the regular meals.

mrx900 May 27, 2009 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD (Post 11814825)
Typical rotation Main Meal:

Chick Pea/Marinated Vegetable Salad
Bread Roll w/margerine
Chicken breast with rice/vegetables
Chocolate or Apple Cake
Individual bottled water.

Quality decent out of Canada, and slightly better out of Japan.

If you're looking for something spicy, perhaps an Asian Vegetarian Meal.

Is this the regular meal or the Muslim meal? This does not sound bad hehe..

ACYYZ/SD May 27, 2009 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900 (Post 11815427)
Is this the regular meal or the Muslim meal? This does not sound bad hehe..

That's the typical Kosher Meal Hot Lunch/Dinner

QNX May 28, 2009 2:59 am

After a semi extensive research (couple of years ago, so details might be outdated) I gathered the following information:
- Muslim meal on most airlines that are not based in a Muslim county doesn’t satisfy the definition of some Muslim schools requirements, specifically the requirement of meat to be slaughtered and not shot in the head then slaughtered (sometimes called Halal or Zabeeha). It is simply a meal that does not contain pork.
- I used to advice my clients who request Muslim meal, and follow that school to either order Kosher (Kosher rules are more strict when it comes to slaughtering, Muslims eat it too) or simply go with sea food.
- Some clients gave me some negative feedback about Kosher meal on Air Canada in terms of the quality of the meal.
- If you are following the school that permits eating from meat that is shot then slaughtered, then you need to be careful when departing from countries where the meat is not necessarily slaughtered at all or is slaughtered by non-Christian or non-Jew (e.g. China, Japan etc)
- Singapore Air pays extra attention to Muslim and Hindu meals, according to the information I gathered Muslim meal actually comes from a Halal source.