Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Emirates A380 in Toronto June 1 345pm, thoughts on where to spot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2009, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I know 05-23 is the longest runway; it is likely to use that one, or more likely to use 24R? (Direction also dependent upon wind conditions). Or is it likely to do 33R, 15L?

I'm taking my son out of school and we'll be scannered up. If it comes in on 15L that's a problem since there's not really anywhere to park -- better to head for Wendy's if it is on 15R
Old May 25, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: AC E50K
I guess it most likely will use 05/23. The best place to spot is by FedEx. Go to the southern end of the road (Bramalea Rd) and park by the fence. You'll see the plane regardless of direction of landing,
Old May 25, 2009, 5:22 pm

Programs: ac ELITE,aa,nwa, Priority Club
They have been doing work on 5/23 so there's a chance it may be closed, I don't believe it's supposed to go on til then but you never know. I'll check later today to be sure.
Old May 25, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Depends on which way the wind is blowing doesn't it?
Old May 25, 2009, 6:57 pm

Yes. All of Pearson's runways are of adequate length for the 380.
Old May 25, 2009, 7:02 pm
Original Poster

Even the north/south runways? They seem somewhat short
Old May 25, 2009, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
Even the north/south runways? They seem somewhat short
Good information here: http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/211845/

Runways diagram here: http://gc.kls2.com/airport/YYZ

Short answer: all YYZ runways are plenty long enough.
Old May 25, 2009, 8:05 pm

Programs: AC 75K
While all of the runways are long enough, I wonder if the A380 is restricted to certain taxiways, which would dictate which runways would be possible to land/take off on.
Old May 25, 2009, 8:24 pm

Programs: Amex Cent. BA Gold
I'll try and take some nice close up pictures for everyone from the apron as I'll be part of the welcoming team.
Old May 26, 2009, 4:04 am

Programs: Aeroplan, TD.
Originally Posted by Phrantic
I'll try and take some nice close up pictures for everyone from the apron as I'll be part of the welcoming team.
I got to see this bird at NRT and it's is a sight for sure.
Old May 26, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: AC E
I will be out at Pearson on Monday. I saw the 380 arrive and depart YVR as part of its original proving flights, and I just happened to be in Sydney when the first SQ 380 commercial flight arrived. It was also at the gate next to AC when I left SYD. It looks short and stubby and is noticeably quiet. And the wing curvature is amazing.

Wouldn't it be nice if GTAA was as accommodating as YVR, who set aside a special area for spotters (not advertised, but done since they knew spotters would come anyway). There were lots of places to see it at SYD, but they had traffic jams all the same. It will be interesting to see how many turn out on Monday.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Phrantic
And I thought those DART boys were the only ones who got to have any fun.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: AC E50K
The A380 arrival at YUL created a big traffic jam (on a bank/school holiday) the police was not prepared for.

Your truly was on SQ A380 J class SYD-SIN last year. It was awesome. SQ only put 4 J class seats (specially designed for A380) per row. The seat is so wide, there are 2 seat belt buckles per seat. The AVOD can double as a PC. The keyboard is on the back of the AVOD remote control.

I heard Emirates did not put special seats in their A380s. The "A380 extra" is the shower in First Class.

Last edited by Spot planes; May 26, 2009 at 5:59 pm
Old May 26, 2009, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Too bad the parking garage on the old T1 is no longer with us. That's where we gathered for the arrival of the Concorde when BA brought it through town on its final days of flight. Perfect spotting location for all runways it was.
Old May 26, 2009, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Ramz
I got to see this bird at NRT and it's is a sight for sure.
Seen then a couple of times now, at SYD and SIN. Most often it is sitting in a parking stand at SYD when not docked nearby AC's gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.