Air Canada iPhone app

Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FightorFlight
Hey guys,

I've found a glitch with the Air Canada App. This is on the newest version of the app and Feedback has been submitted. Unfortunately, Air Canada wasn't of any help (not surprised).

TLDR is that AC is charging Preferred Seating in the wrong currency (Euros) instead of CAD. Fee is supposed to be $105 CAD, payment screen shows as such, but the final billed charged was €105. Air Canada denies any such thing even after providing proof.

This was for a family friend who had this issue on the weekend. Not sure if anything can be done as AC doesn't seem to want to use logic and help. A ticket has been submitted to customer relations, but the current wait time is 41 Business Days. I'm assuming a credit card dispute is the only way to resolve this? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. It's a very odd situation and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this as well?
Are you sure the glitch is in the charge, and not in the display? It doesn't really make a difference in your situation since you were not charged what was advertised, but things like baggage and lounge guest fees are always charged in the local currency, not CAD.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Are you sure the glitch is in the charge, and not in the display? It doesn't really make a difference in your situation since you were not charged what was advertised, but things like baggage and lounge guest fees are always charged in the local currency, not CAD.
Hi Canadiancow,

It's definitely a glitch with the charge. The flight was a YVR to LHR segment, so it should've displayed as CAD (which is also the local currency in this case). I know what you're saying with the baggage and lounge fees as in the past, they've been charged in local currency (CAD, USD, GBP, EUR etc.).

AC simply just brushed it off as a "it must be your financial institution, talk to them". I've submitted both a complaint as well as a bug ticket to AC app. Not sure when and if they'll get back. Just want to make sure that other members who use the app to be extra careful in case they experience something similar.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM
Originally Posted by The Lev
If I ever do a LMU or upgrade bid, I'll try to remember to see if I show up on the upgraded list and post my findings.
I just LMUed LAX to YYZ (from Y to PE, $40 was a no brainer) and I don’t show up with a green check mark (or at all) on the upgrade list.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by RatherBeInYOW
I just LMUed LAX to YYZ (from Y to PE, $40 was a no brainer) and I don’t show up with a green check mark (or at all) on the upgrade list.
Thanks for validating. ^
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC E75K, spouse E75K (MM), National Emerald, various hotel programs
Just read this article, Big-name travel apps may secretly record your iPhone screen, including credit card info - The Verge
Originally Posted by The Verge
A number of popular airline, hotel, and retail apps engage in the practice of recording your iPhone screen without your knowledge or consent, according to an investigation fromTechCrunch. The practice, known as session replaying, typically involves hiring a third-party firm, in this case the analytics firm Glassbox, to embed the technology into a mobile app.

From there, Glassbox’s software records every action you take within the app, as well as taking screenshots along the way. Even worse is that, for apps like Air Canada’s and other travel sites, this includes the fields where users input sensitive information like passport numbers, credit card numbers, and other financial and personal information.
Clicking through the chain of stories involved leads to App Analysis: Air Canada.

I guess I'm going to be really careful on how I use the Air Canada app and what information, if any, that I'm willing to type into the app.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:44 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by YYC traveler
Just read this article, Big-name travel apps may secretly record your iPhone screen, including credit card info - The Verge
Clicking through the chain of stories involved leads to App Analysis: Air Canada.

I guess I'm going to be really careful on how I use the Air Canada app and what information, if any, that I'm willing to type into the app.
Really interesting - thanks for sharing!
24left likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador

With AC’s mobile security track record why on earth would you ever use it for credit card purchases? Yikes.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: TK*G, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat
Angry

typical incompetency of AC IT.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:27 pm

Version 4.31 got released today. Coincidence? Of course we cannot tell from the release notes that only state: "General bug fixes and enhancements to keep the app running smoothly." Too bad they wouldn't own up and acknowledge they did or did not fix the privacy issue.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Version 4.31 got released today. Coincidence? Of course we cannot tell from the release notes that only state: "General bug fixes and enhancements to keep the app running smoothly." Too bad they wouldn't own up and acknowledge they did or did not fix the privacy issue.
Are you assuming they can?

Also, almost all of the iOS app updates contain the words "General bug fixes..." The AC app wastes battery as it twirls around, it takes forever to load the current trip, slightly less than forever to load the list of trips and has 1/10th of the information that the UA app offers and significantly less features than BR, SQ, LX, LH and the other airline apps I use. IMHO.

I am in awe of the constant "Invalid Password/ credentials" window that pops up, only to be perfectly fine if I quit the app and then re-open.

Plus, lots of fun trying to do OLCI in the app. Take me less time and I get better results using the AC mobile website and check-in.

But I digress...
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I thought AC's use of Glassbox was pretty common knowledge (at least among those of us who had heard of Glassbox prior to these articles coming out).

Taking screenshots (or capturing enough data to effectively have the same information) is extremely common in most apps put out by multi-billion dollar companies.
Jebby_ca likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:28 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
I thought AC's use of Glassbox was pretty common knowledge (at least among those of us who had heard of Glassbox prior to these articles coming out).

Taking screenshots (or capturing enough data to effectively have the same information) is extremely common in most apps put out by multi-billion dollar companies.
Agreed.

But it still irks me that AIr Canada is chewing up my data plan and possibly failing to protect my personal information because some Product Manager thinks they are working for a cool company that really cares about UX. Just sayin.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:32 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM

My products use this kind of tooling, and we're much smaller than a multi-billion dollar company.

But we don't capture everything. We use FullStory, I assume Glassbox has something similar: https://help.fullstory.com/technical...clude-elements. There is no reason to be capturing CC detail even if you use a tool like this unless it is incompetence.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: AC E50K
The Flight Pass App was a bit more revealing...

canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:40 pm

Although I'm not a fan of that happening, if the app developer wants to include the functionality shouldn't they have the requirement to divulge this to me in their privacy statement? And yes, most people, including myself, will probably just gloss over it and check the "I agree" box.

But at least Apple worries about my privacy, Apple tells app developers to disclose or remove screen recording code - TechCrunch
In an email, an Apple spokesperson said: “Protecting user privacy is paramount in the Apple ecosystem. Our App Store Review Guidelines require that apps request explicit user consent and provide a clear visual indication when recording, logging, or otherwise making a record of user activity.”

“We have notified the developers that are in violation of these strict privacy terms and guidelines, and will take immediate action if necessary,” the spokesperson added.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.