Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada iPhone app

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
The latest app update as rendered the AC app almost useless for me. iOS 12.

It takes forever to load up, and then it'll spin when searching for flights or flight status. the Standby/Upgrade list option also disappears randomly. I constantly have to force close the app in order to gain some functionality again, and then it'll stop working again after some time.
etkuo and ridefar like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: CX GO, AC Aeroplan 25K, AMEX PLAT, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
The latest app update as rendered the AC app almost useless for me. iOS 12.

It takes forever to load up, and then it'll spin when searching for flights or flight status. the Standby/Upgrade list option also disappears randomly. I constantly have to force close the app in order to gain some functionality again, and then it'll stop working again after some time.
Same here. Some version updates improves it slightly, other version updates make it worse. On a scale of 1(slow and unusable) to 5(fast and responsive) I say my app goes between 1 to 3 between any versions. Unfortunately it never seems goes up to 5...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime PE, AC Altitude SE100K-1MM
I just updated my phone to iOS 12.1.3 today and have been scrolling through my phone to see what apps have been affected.
To my surprise, my AC app was not affected (Version 4.30.0, last updated Jan 16, 2019).

Last edited by SteadyAT; Jan 28, 2019 at 4:35 pm
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Updating iOS will not update third party apps.
D582 and WaytoomuchEurope like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SE100k
Anybody notice that World Travel Pass bookings (that book into D-class) don’t show Signature Suite as a lounge option in the iOS app? My bookings in P-class show Signature Suite and the MLL as lounge options...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Upgrade list Question for those who are experienced in the use of the app...

For my last two flights when I looked at the upgrade list I was #1 on the wait list. My YYZ-ZRH flight showed three people with green checkmarks (presumably their upgrade had cleared) ahead of me and on the return GVA-YYZ flight two people were shown with green checkmarks. As an SEMM, it was at the same time gratifying to be #1 on the waitlist and disappointing to see others having cleared ahead of me. In the case of the flight to ZRH< I checked the app shortly after the 24-hour window, so i'd be surprised if people rushed in ahead of me to get available confirmed upgrades

I'm curious in terms of the app functionality do people listed with the green checkmarks include any or all of the following:
  1. People booked on Latitude fares who might have been upgraded months earlier when there was positive R space
  2. People who pay for an offered LMU at check-in
  3. People who put in an advance "bid" for upgrade
FWIW, despite being #1 on standby, my upgrade did not clear in either direction. On the return flight it looked like one seat was available until just before check-in closed then suddenly the number of "booked" seats went from, 24 to 25. i'm thinking the odds of somebody running up to the counter at the last minute and buying a full J ticket from GVA on a Sunday are somewhat remote. am I being overly suspcious in thinking that a non-rev got flipped into a J "booking" at the last minute just before the flight closed?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:03 pm

I can't speak for #2 or #3 , but I can confirm that my name has been on the upgrade list with a checkmark when I have upgraded Latitude tickets at time of booking (weeks before the travel date).
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Yes anyone with a confirmed eupgrade ahead of time shows as green checkmarked.
And it's not just Latitude fares. It applies to any eUpgraded flight ahead of time with any eUpgradeable base fare that had positive R space at the time of eUpgrade request.

This question is more related to the upgrade waitlist though and how it's processed (as shown/available on any AC phone app) and less about the specific iPhone app.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by The Lev
FWIW, despite being #1 on standby, my upgrade did not clear in either direction. On the return flight it looked like one seat was available until just before check-in closed then suddenly the number of "booked" seats went from, 24 to 25. i'm thinking the odds of somebody running up to the counter at the last minute and buying a full J ticket from GVA on a Sunday are somewhat remote. am I being overly suspcious in thinking that a non-rev got flipped into a J "booking" at the last minute just before the flight closed?
Maybe someone did a SDC? Or IRROPS from another flight/airline? There could be lots of reasons for a last-minute change in bookings...
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Upgrade list Question for those who are experienced in the use of the app...

For my last two flights when I looked at the upgrade list I was #1 on the wait list. My YYZ-ZRH flight showed three people with green checkmarks (presumably their upgrade had cleared) ahead of me and on the return GVA-YYZ flight two people were shown with green checkmarks. As an SEMM, it was at the same time gratifying to be #1 on the waitlist and disappointing to see others having cleared ahead of me. In the case of the flight to ZRH< I checked the app shortly after the 24-hour window, so i'd be surprised if people rushed in ahead of me to get available confirmed upgrades

I'm curious in terms of the app functionality do people listed with the green checkmarks include any or all of the following:
  1. People booked on Latitude fares who might have been upgraded months earlier when there was positive R space
  2. People who pay for an offered LMU at check-in
  3. People who put in an advance "bid" for upgrade
@The Lev

IIRC, these have been answered in the last several months in the master thread:

Official Air Canada Upgrade Priority
Old Feb 4, 2019, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yyznomad
@The Lev

IIRC, these have been answered in the last several months in the master thread:

Official Air Canada Upgrade Priority
Thanks for the link. Was wondering whether to post the question there before choosing this thread. Sifted through that thread and it's as clear as mud depending on who one chooses to believe...
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I don't know if paid upgrades, either through bid or last minute, show up on the upgrade list at all. If they do, they would have a green check mark, and not a number.
Originally Posted by YVRtoYYZ
My understanding is that LMU do *not* show on the upgrade list; only those going through the eUp (or non-rev standby) show up on upgrade lists.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
My understanding was that all R class showed on the list (as confirmed with a checkmark). LMU, bid, etc.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the link. Was wondering whether to post the question there before choosing this thread. Sifted through that thread and it's as clear as mud depending on who one chooses to believe...
Yes.

The way I was thinking in my brain is that these were "answered" on what I opine as strong anecdotal evidence. For example, your R question holds true for every flight I've upgraded in advance since the list became publicly available. In those cases, I've always shown as a green checkmark as soon as the list shows in the app.
If the truth of AC rules can't be found in that master thread, it won't be anywhere else on FT. That's the best we've got, unfortunately. @canadiancow and a handful of others have done some really good homework with regard to behaviours, but without any AC lurkers, that master thread will never be updated with 100% true information, as per its thread starter, AC's former employee, Ben Lipsey. Andrew Yiu never posts here anymore. The peanut gallery was successful at scaring them away, if you will.

My next suggestion would be to ping cow privately for other information that won't be shared here. I'm not saying that this information is sensitive, but moreso others may choose not to post on FT, just like when we choose not to post certain things here. (hopefully he doesn't mind I suggested this)
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I've seen people on the list for two reasons:

1. You're confirmed in J but not ticketed in J. eUps (months in advance or at the gate), LMU, bids, operational upgrades, employees, etc.
2. You're confirmed in J but did not have a seat assignment when you checked in. This is similar to how GTE shows up for Y pax in overbookings and they end up on the Y list. It's happened to me inJ before when a 763 was downgauged to a 321, even though I was paid J. I immediately had a checkmark, but it seemed like someone went through and cleared my GTE because I was paid J. The statement I was given was "You’re on the onload list because there was an equipment change and so pax need BP reprints", and I've tried to infer more details, but this one is quite uncommon in comparison to my first point.
D582 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I ever do a LMU or upgrade bid, I'll try to remember to see if I show up on the upgraded list and post my findings.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Air Canada App serious Glitch

Hey guys,

I've found a glitch with the Air Canada App. This is on the newest version of the app and Feedback has been submitted. Unfortunately, Air Canada wasn't of any help (not surprised).

TLDR is that AC is charging Preferred Seating in the wrong currency (Euros) instead of CAD. Fee is supposed to be $105 CAD, payment screen shows as such, but the final billed charged was €105. Air Canada denies any such thing even after providing proof.

This was for a family friend who had this issue on the weekend. Not sure if anything can be done as AC doesn't seem to want to use logic and help. A ticket has been submitted to customer relations, but the current wait time is 41 Business Days. I'm assuming a credit card dispute is the only way to resolve this? Any suggestions are welcome and appreciated. It's a very odd situation and I wonder if anyone else has noticed this as well?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.