Air Canada iPhone app

Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:22 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A400 Safari/528.16)

Interesting... that's the best I can say. Seems to be the only mobile app out there with accurate gate info, though.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:28 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I just downloaded it from iTunes and tried it out. Sadly, it's a bit of a letdown.

- Biggest drawback: No link at all to your AC/Aeroplan account, which - bizarrely - means you need to enter all of your AC flights into the app manually. Yep, you have to retype all of the same flights that you can see by logging in to AC's website. HUGE pain!

- Absolutely no Aeroplan info at all in the app! (Sure they're technically separate entities, but the AC website uses AE number for sign in and shows AE points balance.). Not even your points balance is accesible in the app.

- Makes no use of the iPhones "push" technology. Instead, signs you up for ol fashioned email or SMS alerts.

- Absolutely no useful AC travel info was included as reference! What's AC's terminal at LAX? Not here -- check the web! Which gates does AC use at DEN? No info here! What lounges are available to AC E/SE, MLCW, or MLC members -- at any airport in the world? Nope, not a stitch of info here about lounges!! Or . . . I wonder what are check in counter hours at LHR? Nope!! No info here!

- And what's with the list of external links? Seriously?? Nobody even puts external/unrelated links on traditional websites any more. But on an iPhone app?? AC is giving users a link to Google (nah, nobody would already have that on their iPhone, eh?) and YellowPages.ca?? There's no harm in this -- it just seems odd, like they were looking for filler material. And what's with using SeatGuru rather than using their own aircraft maps and info? (I have a hunch this is just a bit of laziness. SG already had mobile capabilities, whereas AC's same info is not mobile-friendly.)

I already have FlightTrack Pro - combined with a free TripIt.com account - and IMHO that's way better than AC's app. (Primarily because I don't need to re-enter all of my flights into FlightTrack Pro). I've also played around with the Worldmate app -- which also beats the AC app. (The only thing AC can do that these others can't is provide the link to e-checkin, but that doesn't really seem like a big deal.)

Last edited by FlyerJ; Aug 20, 2009 at 9:11 am
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:49 pm

Thumbs down

More annoyances!!

- It seems that flight notifications must be manually turned on for each individual flight segment??!! (Hey, developers, howzabout you just give me an option to track ALL of my flights that are in the app!)

- Notifications are pretty much identical to AC's current web-based system. In other words, no options. Want an alert at 24 hrs prior for check in? Not available. Want an alert a few hours prior with gate info, even if the flight is on time? Not available.

- It seems that notifications can only be turned on for flights within a few weeks. Which means you'll have to always go in to the app to turn this on if you want to receive them (rather than simply turn it on when retyping your flights into the app).

- The schedule looks great in the app -- but where's the flight duration and aircraft type for flights further off into the future?? (They're obviously known schedule items, but they show as blank for my future - ie winter - flights)

Sorry AC. It's not a good app. I hope you can roll-out updates with significant enhancements on the near future!!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 5:26 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
when adding a multi-segment flight there is no way to add only the segment you want. Example is AC033/034. You can't add only YVR-SYD vv. You MUST add YYZ-YVR and YVR-SYD
Old Aug 20, 2009, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by FlyerJ
Want an alert at 24 hrs prior for check in? Not available.
Tripit provides an ical feed which you can add to your gmail or other calendar app. Then set that feed to automatically have a 24-hour alert.

Unfortunately tripit and gmail don't really handle timezones properly -- which you would think would be a pretty fundamental thing for a travel web site and calendar application to get right, but...

Still it's pretty slick emailing confirmation emails to tripit and having the info automatically show up in your calendar.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 6:34 am

IIRC, TripIt fixed their timezone issue about a month ago when they released an update to their iPhone app. Works perfectly for me now. The auto feed into your calendar is utterly amazing (one more thing that makes it a way better travel app than AC's!)

For flight tracking, I use FlightTrack Pro (integrates with TripIt so you never need to retype flights into an app -- hear that, AC developers?!?). FlightTrack has always been 100% accurate for me -- it has always handled times and time zones perfectly.

The AC app is further limited in that it only shows flights on AC metal. If you're connecting on to a UA or LH operated segment (even if code-shared, it appears) it is useless. The third party apps like tripit/flighttrack or worldmate don't have that limitation. (Plus they don't make you reenter flights. Plus they automatically track/alert every flight without having to turn it on for each segment.)

As for the new AC app, it lasted slightly less than 12 hours on my iPhone. I have one page of travel apps, so the icon space is valuable real estate! AC just wasn't worthy. ;(
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:32 am

Programs: AC
Unhappy

I really like the check-in feature. I'm getting Unable to Connect to Server at this Time" when trying to add a flight from YWG to DEN. Maybe it's because it's using my flight from YWG to DEN is on United Express/Skywest Airlines. I was able to add DEN-LAS fine. Not able to login with aeroplan # and view all your bookings is a big disappointment I was expecting that to be incorporated. I'm going to be moving my app icons around and push this app away from my main screen. For now, I'll only use the app to check in. I can check all my flight info on my other app Flight Update.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 9:36 am

If you can't even view all your bookings what's the point?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:12 am

AC just issued a press release re their iPhone app:

http://bit.ly/1a9sML

Fortunately, it includes this line: "This is only the first iteration of our App and we will continue to add new features in response to customer demand," said Ben Smith, Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer.

Perhaps they read the early reviews here on FlyerTalk!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by getaround
Exactly!!
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:00 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
Pretty useless

No integration with my aircanada.com / aeroplan.com to see my PNRs? Why bother.

I have uninstalled and putting a review on itunes.

Brian
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:04 am

FYI - We want to hear from you - [email protected]
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:38 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Originally Posted by getaround
I was very disappointed by this as well. I expected tighter integration with the existing infrastructure, something that allows me to enter my AC user ID and password or my AP number, and brings up the information I'd get on the AC website.

It feels rushed and half-assed to me.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:46 am

ahem....
I too have been waiting a while for this- and it is not top notch , for sure- but ,hummm, can we kinda give them a chance here??? the app has been out less than 24 hours- and no other NA carrier has gotten that far- so maybe we can give them credit where credit is due?!
They have indicated that they will amend as necessary- All of us have lived without it so far- we can give it a little more time don't you think?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by internationalgal
ahem....
I too have been waiting a while for this- and it is not top notch , for sure- but ,hummm, can we kinda give them a chance here??? the app has been out less than 24 hours- and no other NA carrier has gotten that far- so maybe we can give them credit where credit is due?!
They have indicated that they will amend as necessary- All of us have lived without it so far- we can give it a little more time don't you think?
Credit for what? releasing a product that's sub standard and simply doesn't do much simply so they can say they were first.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.