How long do refunds take?

Old Mar 13, 09, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
How long do refunds take?

I submitted a refund request several weeks ago to refund a ticket I couldn't use against a future booking due to a glitch in the AC reservation system (the Lat fare I wanted was $400ish and was coming up $1200ish). I haven't heard anything - not even a confirmation of receipt.

I called and got voicemail but the mailbox was full. This doesn't fill me with confidence. Is this typical?
Old Mar 13, 09, 9:07 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
I submitted a refund request several weeks ago to refund a ticket I couldn't use against a future booking due to a glitch in the AC reservation system (the Lat fare I wanted was $400ish and was coming up $1200ish). I haven't heard anything - not even a confirmation of receipt.

I called and got voicemail but the mailbox was full. This doesn't fill me with confidence. Is this typical?
I was told earlier this week that a refund I requested would take at least two credit card billing cycles to appear (since it has to be refunded as per the original payment). I have absolutely nothing to verify anything is happening, since my request was to a phone agent who said she sent the file to AC Refunds for action.

The good news was that this agent knew what to do. I was following FT advice to keep phoning back if initially unable to get a satisfactory answer. The refund arises from AC (Jazz) cancelling the YVR/YYJ portion of a YYZ/YYJ ticket and the YVR airport staff telling everyone to go and take the ferry. Although the airport staff said a refund would be processed, they apparently did nothing, and the first call to AC elicited the advice to "write and plead your case". It will be interesting to see what amount the eventual refund is.

An email has been sent to AC Customer Relations about this and other aspects of the flights.
Old Mar 13, 09, 9:26 pm

Programs: Air Canada Elite , Hilton Honors
Red face

I recently had a "full credit" refund awarded to me for a flight that turned back and after a couple of weeks I phoned to see if there was indeed a credit coming. The agent checked and said that there was a note saying "Full Refund" but cautioned me that it normally takes 4-6 weeks for credits to CC acounts to post. FWIW.

Commander Bob
Can use the money.
Old Mar 13, 09, 9:42 pm

Programs: Erstwhile Accidental AC E35K
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
Is this typical?
Yes. It takes roughly 3-5 seconds to charge your credit card and weeks on end to refund the same card. This is one of the contempts we have to put up with.

I also recommend that you keep hounding them, because in my experience their standard answer is, "Stop bothering us, it takes a few weeks." The reality is that if the refund hasn't actually been processed this will go on ad infinitum before someone actually checks and figures out that the refund was never even initiated.

Good luck.
Old Mar 14, 09, 2:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan Prestige
I have to give AC credit where credit is due, I have had 2 or 3 refunds in the last 6 months or so, and always within 2 weeks I have recieved it. Always get email confirmation. Even when I applied a $200 credit they owed me, it went thru within days of them recieving the request, however no confirmation email on that.
Old Mar 14, 09, 11:54 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC E50K/SPG-Marriott Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/IHG Plat/HHDiamond/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Cdnshaz View Post
I have to give AC credit where credit is due, I have had 2 or 3 refunds in the last 6 months or so, and always within 2 weeks I have recieved it. Always get email confirmation. Even when I applied a $200 credit they owed me, it went thru within days of them recieving the request, however no confirmation email on that.
Only once in the past 2 years have I had a problem with a refund that needed to be followed up every couple of weeks through the refund email address.

The majority of the time the refunds have shown up in a matter of 4-5 days. The mail-in MCOs have never taken more than 2 weeks so no real complaints here - in fact, this is one area that AC has vastly improved in.

My suggestion is to email them and wait a week. Then do it again referring to the first one and so on.
Old Mar 14, 09, 7:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, 2MM, Bonvoy LTTE
Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Yes. It takes roughly 3-5 seconds to charge your credit card and weeks on end to refund the same card. This is one of the contempts we have to put up with.

I also recommend that you keep hounding them, because in my experience their standard answer is, "Stop bothering us, it takes a few weeks." The reality is that if the refund hasn't actually been processed this will go on ad infinitum before someone actually checks and figures out that the refund was never even initiated.

Good luck.
I have been waiting on average 6-8 weeks every time! The good thing thoug is that when they refund, they go back to the date you purchesed the ticket!
Old Apr 1, 09, 11:36 am

Unhappy

Originally Posted by cbob View Post
I recently had a "full credit" refund awarded to me for a flight that turned back (Feb 22) and after a couple of weeks I phoned to see if there was indeed a credit coming. The agent checked and said that there was a note saying "Full Refund" but cautioned me that it normally takes 4-6 weeks for credits to CC acounts to post. FWIW.
Update.
It's been 5 weeks now and today I get a note from Air Canada Refund Services : (emphasis mine)

Good day

We are currently working on claims received Feb 4/09
Please allow 6-8 more weeks for claim to be completed.

Sandi

Given that this will bring us up to 10-11 weeks, I guess even those reports of 6-8 weeks were light.

Commander Bob
Really needs the money.
Old Apr 1, 09, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K
The last refund I requested was credited to my card within a week.
Old Apr 1, 09, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

The last email I got from AC Refund Services dated 03/13 was that they were on January 24th. Now they are on Feb. 4th. That's 11 days (including weekends) in roughly 19 days of processing time (including weekends).

My refund was for a flight on Feb. 18th... still waiting. Based on your experience, I still have 21 days to go.
Old Apr 16, 09, 11:57 am

Thumbs down

Well it's now more than 7 weeks since my aborted flight and I've yet to see my refund.
Following advice on this thread, I've phoned 3 times and written (e-mail) twice but still no resolution.

You guys who got refunds in a week must have horseshoes up your butts.

Commander Bob
I guess Air Canada really needs my $1000
Old Apr 16, 09, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Nothing yet here either. Still waiting.
Old Apr 16, 09, 4:02 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by LRESFG View Post
The refund arises from AC (Jazz) cancelling the YVR/YYJ portion of a YYZ/YYJ ticket and the YVR airport staff telling everyone to go and take the ferry. Although the airport staff said a refund would be processed, they apparently did nothing, and the first call to AC elicited the advice to "write and plead your case". It will be interesting to see what amount the eventual refund is.

An email has been sent to AC Customer Relations about this and other aspects of the flights.
That is my post of March 13, so I guess we have a long way to go to see what sort of refund they are prepared to issue.

We did, however, receive a reply from AC Customer Relations, in which we were lectured about how the choice to take the ferry was ours alone and entirely voluntary (despite the direct advice from the gate agents to do just that).

They also refused to deal with the AP credits for the segment not flown, using the wonderful excuse that AC and AP are separate companies and AC "is only able to award passengers with Aeroplan miles on flights flown". That is contrary to many other FTers experience. Oh well, why do they bother replying - it just caused more aggravation.
Old Apr 20, 09, 4:24 pm

Thumbs down

In my continuing attempts to obtain my refund, I sent yet another note of inquiry reminding them that it's been 8 weeks since my flight was aborted.
I got a nice prompt reply :

Good day

We are currently working on claims received Feb 9/09
Please allow 4-6 more weeks for claim to be completed.

Sandi

So after initially promising me 'about 2 weeks', they are now looking at 12-14 weeks.

Commander Bob
Still hopeful but getting a bit frustrated... OK pretty frustrated.
Old Apr 20, 09, 4:44 pm

Programs: Fairmont Platinum | AC Gate Lice Status | VIPorter
Shocking! I'd file a report at the BBB or contact the travel ombudsman/govt. travel section (I have the link somewhere, the name escapes me).

There's a constant parade of apparent AC executives' IDs posting on here and claiming they value our business. Do the facts support this theory?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: