Wiki Posts
Search

A suggestion for Customer Service

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by Clipper801
Or simply "bury" the change fee by adding $20 into the base fare and let everyone to do a last minute airport change "for free".

On average, how many of these last minute gate/check in change requests do AC get on a flight?
even if AC gets 1% of people paying a $50 fee its still 100's of millions of dollars. So this fee is not going away. [and anyone flying yyz-yul will agree it is WAY more than 1%]
Also if the airline ended "free food in Y" for the new $5 fee, I dont think a $20 charge to "bury" the change fee is going to change.

However perhaps AC would make even more money if the fee was $25 rather than $50? maybe that would increase the number or percentage of people willing to pay the change fee.^
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
#1 - how do you know you're booked on a flight that's undersold to start with? The amount of movements between Rapidair flights on day of departure is absolutely tremendous with people changing flights especially with the same day change function available on the kiosk and web check in, just because you get on a flight isn't full, does not mean it wasn't booked full. I will state again - Air Canada does not cancel flights on day of departure due to low loads, there is no advantage to doing such when the flight has be crewed, aircraft is routed and will be needed at the next station for the next flight. And FYI - the aircraft that was to operate your flight was fixed and ferried to another station to operate an onward flight early next morning. I follow Rapidair flights very closely and I can personally assure you no Rapidair flights (nor any other Air Canada flights) are ever cancelled on day of departure due to low loads; capacity planning is done well before actual departure date.

Andrew. Thanks so much. As a 35 year Captain I have heard so many misconceptions voiced such as AC cancels half their flights, AC always late ( our OTP always near the top and recently #2 behind Hawaiian), AC always more expensive . All totally false.
I'm always impressed with your factual replies
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by threepoint
While you may not see the relevance, thousands of passengers do. One need not descend into tiresome detail, but a quick "the door won't close" or "the wing is hanging by a rivet" would enable a sense of how long they may be inconvenienced. And would also prevent several FT members and probably most other people on that flight wondering why there was mute confusion that evening in Montreal.
I do many segments on an annual basis,many on Dash equipment..Mechanicals are a way of life,or so it seems to me at least.I have often wondered what happens as to mechanical issues,but put my trust in the safety criteria that AC/Jazz must follow.IOW,I am OK with it.

I could only imagine the airline saying the plane went mechanical because "the wing is hanging by a rivet".By the time someone picked that up in the media it would have been "rivet all that saved airliner from ......(you fill in the blanks)

IMHO,some things are best left unsaid.

(perhaps I should have said nothing)
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:44 am

Programs: AC E (depressed former SE), Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by guessaaa
Assuming you only have carry-on, just show up at the gate of the flight you want to go on and say that you'd like to go on this earlier flight since you're already there and don't forget to emphasize that you have no luggage. Works for me every time. No fees.
I've had good luck in expressing mock disappointment, and then commenting that I'll be enjoying more than $50 worth of alcohol in the lounge. Given my "volume" (height and weight), the agent usually believes me (or takes pity on me, one of the two).

The reality is, of course, that I almost never drink when travelling, and while my "bill" for the soft chocolate fudge cookies is high, it's nowhere near $50
Old Mar 7, 2009, 7:46 am

Programs: AC SE
I have to admit, in the 115000 miles I flew last year, I didn't have any bad customer services that I can really think of. Most of the service I've received from AC has been professional and reasonably prompt. Has it been outstanding/amazing? rarely, but that actually makes me feel a tad uncomfortable.

For example, on my last flight back from Helsinki, the IC personally introduced himself to me while I was sitting up front. On the one hand, I do appreciate this kind of personal service, on the other hand, I was a tad embarrassed by it. Maybe it's just the humble Canadian in me. I do appreciate the "Welcome Mr Johnson, if you need anything, please let me know."

As far as the crew hiding out in the back of the airplane... Well, I'm of two minds of that. It really is a fine balance when it comes to that. On the one hand, I don't want to be pestered too much in my seat; after I get my coke, I just want to be left alone. On the other hand, it would be nice if they were more available if needed. Having them walking the aisle(s) with the bottle of water and glasses is a nice touch.

Finally, when it comes to dealing with harried staff on the ground, especially in IrOps situations, It really does help to be pleasant, give them a smile, and thank them for their patient. On more than a few occasions, I've seen people ahead of me being very nasty to the staff at the desk, demanding this that or the other, and their tone was very disrespectful. When I got up to the desk, I smiled at him/her, thank them for their patience, and proceed with my request in a humble tone. This gets a lot more traction than being a dick.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SEMM, Nexus
Thumbs up My 2 cents

I just returned from Miami on Monday. Flying FLL-YUL-YYZ-YYJ. Not the best routing but the Z fare was fantastic for 2 seats. Get a phone call from AC at 9, can we make an earlier FLL-YYZ flight as the weather was making YUL iffy. Sure, no problem. Now FLL-YYZ-YYJ. Arrive in YYZ @14:30, claim baggage and head upstairs to ticketing as we have a 5 + hr. layover. Check on expertflyer mobile, lots of Z to YVR. Ask the ticket agent if we can go earlier via YVR. "Why not" he says. Onto the YYZ-YVR 16:10 on a XMed 333, love the pods, then onto the 19:00 flight to YYJ and home 3 hrs. early. Thank you AC. After leaving me stranded at YYJ during the Dec. _ Jan. mess twice this was a pleasant experience.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by bestof2k9
Let's be real for a minute and put things into perspective, why would AC need to justify...? What does it change...why would it concern you...?

I'm sorry but not everyone is cynical and believes that airlines lie and cancel flights due to low loads... the fact that you saw the aircraft sit on the tarmac ... While I understand your frustration over a cancelled flight...get over it...you were efficiently reprotected and sent on your way home...And please realise that because you don't get an answer within 24 hours, it doesn't necessarily mean that you are right...me, as an unofficial one might not be so keen to provide you with the answers you oh so desire...I hope cancellations like this don't happen for you in the future... learn to live with it.
Thanks for your reply, but don't get me confused with the poster that was affected by this flight and questioned the reason of the cancellation. I didn't personally see anything to do with AC455 nor experience any frustration, considering I was thousands of miles away at the time. Having previously respected all of your posts and helpful & balanced inside advice, I'm not sure why the sudden condescension dripping from your post. I appreciate you may not be keen to provide answers, but temper that with the fact that, to be fair, nobody asked you to.

I commented on the silence when the explanation was challenged, mainly because previous replies are usually so prompt (7 minutes in this case) and this query went unanswered for a while. I fully accept that most of us have offline lives and are not attached to the keyboard with a umbilical cord; I have not questioned the eventual response given.

My point, to be perfectly clear, is not that the flight was canceled due to a mechanical or low loads or because it was Thursday. It's the very familiar yet very relevant assertion that AC - for the most part - could use a real step up in its communication and PR. As a safe & effective airline they're great. But passengers, regardless of fare paid or status held, deserve an explanation for delays and cancellations. A simple gate announcement will do, and no, I do not expect a dissertation on the report by an AME. Layman's terms ("we have a problem with the door") and an initial, non-binding estimation of time are perfectly acceptable. As is the expectation that display screens within the terminal show accurate information, which by itself will sooth so many nerves and avoid staff overload by lines of people repeatedly asking "when do we leave". Someday, sooner or later, management and staff will 'get it'.

Originally Posted by asysb87
I could only imagine the airline saying the plane went mechanical because "the wing is hanging by a rivet".By the time someone picked that up in the media it would have been "rivet all that saved airliner from ......(you fill in the blanks)

IMHO,some things are best left unsaid.
The rivet comment was of course a gross exaggeration, and even nervous flyers will accept a layman's explanation of delays. Knowledge is power, and defuses so many tempers and tendencies for uptight people to become riled at the gate. It's unfortunate so many people aren't the "oh well, whatever, no biggie" type of traveler we all aspire to be.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Clipper801
Or simply "bury" the change fee by adding $20 into the base fare and let everyone to do a last minute airport change "for free".
And then you will complain that fares are too high and that AC is ripping you off.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjschill
Andrew is clearly a person who has answers at AC, and in this instance, I'm also wondering why we haven't heard back.
What makes you think you are ENTITLED to receive an informal answer from people who work from AC and post here? From what I know, it's not part of anyone's job description.

And what makes you think yoiu should receive an answer at the drop of YOUR hat?

Holy sh!t! If you want an answer, then write to AC Customer Solutions. They really should rename Elite and Super Elite to Ego and Super Ego!

Before you hit the submit button, just remember what goes around comes around.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu
The point of your post is? Are you trying to accuse me of lying?
Of course he is.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LiquidJ
while my "bill" for the soft chocolate fudge cookies is high, it's nowhere near $50
Then I think you need to increase the value of those soft chocolate fudge cookies. Come on, have you learned nothing from the latest financial crisis? Overvalue the assets, increase the value of the goodwill, and watch people fall for it. Then by the time they discover the truth, you're long gone. Learn from John Roth!
Old Mar 7, 2009, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I'm just glad the OP was only on YOW-YYZ. Wonder what this thread would be like if it was the once a day YOW-LHR, or YYZ-CDG, that got cancelled.

Truthfully, if my flight is delayed due to a mechanical, I trust that the staff determined that the aircraft can't be flown safely. I don't really care if its b/c the door won't close, the wing is hanging by a rivet, or the power systems are down, I only want to get to my destination safely. For me, if I get there 30 minutes, an hour, or 5 hours late, it's certainly not perferable, but I can almost guarantee that this is a far better solution then whatever alternative flying on a damaged aircraft would lead to.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Truthfully, if my flight is delayed due to a mechanical, I trust that the staff determined that the aircraft can't be flown safely. I don't really care if its b/c the door won't close, the wing is hanging by a rivet, or the power systems are down, I only want to get to my destination safely. For me, if I get there 30 minutes, an hour, or 5 hours late, it's certainly not perferable, but I can almost guarantee that this is a far better solution then whatever alternative flying on a damaged aircraft would lead to.
Exactly. People forget why Canada has one of the best aviation records in the world. Strong safety and security regulations and requirements are in place and Canadian airlines aren't dumb enough to let planes fly when they are not at least meeting, if not exceeding, those requirements/regulations.
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by YOWkid
Exactly. People forget why Canada has one of the best aviation records in the world. Strong safety and security regulations and requirements are in place and Canadian airlines aren't dumb enough to let planes fly when they are not at least meeting, if not exceeding, those requirements/regulations.
Who cares we have a great aviation records? Even the worst country aviation record is safer than driving, so whats the big deal.
Take a BILLION $$$$ from airline safety, and put it into road safety, it would save a LOT more lives.^
Old Mar 7, 2009, 12:43 pm

Programs: AC E
Originally Posted by YOWkid
Careful not to veer off on a tangent. We're talking about communications regarding delays, not the regulations that may contribute to the delays.

And the list of Canadian airlines large & small that are or have been "dumb enough" to allow airplanes to fly when mandated safety regulations have not been met is longer than your arm. Otherwise TC wouldn't need an enforcement section.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.