Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Fan
Routes that do not have fuel surcharges (YQ) when operated by carriers that normally charge YQ:

1. USA-Germany-Other country. If only the Germany-other country segment is on LH it does not have YQ. E.g. DFW-FRA-BLR with TATL on UA and FRA-BLR on LH.
2. USA-Canada-Other country. The USA-Canada segment on AC does not have YQ if the Canada-Other country segment is operated by a carrier that does not charge YQ. E.g. DFW-YYZ-ADD.
Print Wikipost

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite
Originally Posted by rankourabu
well duh The whole point of this thread is to make people realize that booking Aeroplan awards on Air Canada will cost them additional hundreds of dollars in real money.
I full realize that AC is the culprit. Just hoping the the poster didn't actually book it without checking here first.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 3:59 pm

Programs: AE Prestige +
Originally Posted by trackypup
I full realize that AC is the culprit. Just hoping the the poster didn't actually book it without checking here first.
I would never dare to do anything so foolish

Not having traveled much lately I wasn't prepared for such a steep price increase. Following your advice I looked up itineraries not using AC and prices are much cheaper. I feel cheated and value my 300k + points a lot less.

Is this situation temporary or will prices for other airlines also come up (the possibility of AC/AP prices coming down isn't on the radar...)?

I used to love my points...
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:32 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Aeroplan n00b question

I need an overview on which destinations or itineraries or practices are going to be the best use of my Aeroplan points... including fees, of course.

In this forum, I see lots of cautionary tales and lots of great deals (thanks!), but I'm not sure what the underlying factors or causes are.

I want to know what routes to target or avoid BEFORE my wife and I decide where & when we're going to go for a vacation.

If there's already a good primer on this, could someone please point this n00b to it? Thanks all.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 4:47 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jerry305
I need an overview on which destinations or itineraries or practices are going to be the best use of my Aeroplan points... including fees, of course.

In this forum, I see lots of cautionary tales and lots of great deals (thanks!), but I'm not sure what the underlying factors or causes are.

I want to know what routes to target or avoid BEFORE my wife and I decide where & when we're going to go for a vacation.

If there's already a good primer on this, could someone please point this n00b to it? Thanks all.
Jerry, we need some more information - where do you live, how many points do you have, where in the world do you want to go etc.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Originally Posted by DaveTO
Jerry, we need some more information - where do you live, how many points do you have, where in the world do you want to go etc.
Thanks, DaveTO.

We're in YWG. 75K AE points each now. We're looking for 2-week sun destinations in January.

For example, we'd like to do FL, for 25K AE points, in January, but that never seems to work out. If I pick other sun destinations, are there ways to save hundreds of dollars in fees, that aren't apparent to an infrequent flyer?

Thanks!
Old Oct 13, 2011, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
Thanks, DaveTO.

We're in YWG. 75K AE points each now. We're looking for 2-week sun destinations in January.

For example, we'd like to do FL, for 25K AE points, in January, but that never seems to work out. If I pick other sun destinations, are there ways to save hundreds of dollars in fees, that aren't apparent to an infrequent flyer?

Thanks!
You can go around the world ("mini-RTW") for 75k in economy, or get some more miles and do it for 125k in business.

Or you can go to Mexico, Central America or Caribbean for 40k in economy or 60k in business, but this is not the best use of miles when you can just buy a packaged tour for very reasonable money.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:51 pm

Programs: AC E50K, BA Silver
I paid a whopping $715.36 on my recent AP booking. It's insane. The largest charge was for fuel ($500):

YYZ-PVG
PVG-MEL

BNE-SIN
SIN-PVG
PVG-YYZ
Old Oct 13, 2011, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by f00kie
I paid a whopping $715.36 on my recent AP booking. It's insane. The largest charge was for fuel ($500):

YYZ-PVG
PVG-MEL

BNE-SIN
SIN-PVG
PVG-YYZ
This is an understandable complaint. Which class, which airline, but furthermore: did you check before?
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:01 pm

Programs: AC E50K, BA Silver
Originally Posted by LearningToFly
This is an understandable complaint. Which class, which airline, but furthermore: did you check before?
I booked this a few weeks ago. About a month before than I swear the charge was only ~$500 when I was checking, but I may be making that up.

It's on AC, Singapore Airlines, and Air China.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by f00kie

It's on AC, Singapore Airlines, and Air China.
you chose to fly AC - YYZ-PVG-YYZ - that cost you $500 extra - thats as simple as it is. Shouldve booked a different airline. And for it being $500 few months ago - thats not any better!!!
Old Oct 14, 2011, 6:02 pm

YUL ZRH (LX F)
ZRH BKK (TG F)
BKK SIN (TG J) POT
SIN PVG (SQ J) STOP
PVG FRA (LH F)
FRA TXL (LH J) STOP
TXL ZRH (LX J)
ZRH YUL (LX F)

$274.79 taxes/fees + $30 AE donation + $90+tx change fee due to segments becoming available.... Still a pretty good deal for 120k points.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: AC E; Marriott Platinum
Just for fun, I thought I'd post my AA redemption.

YYZ-LAS, 25K miles + $61.52 in taxes.

NO FEES!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: AC SE
Looking at booking EZE - YUL - EZE:

AC = $880.53 in surcharges

CO = $143.89 in surcharges

Now that's nuts!!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by jmolony
Looking at booking EZE - YUL - EZE:

AC = $880.53 in surcharges

CO = $143.89 in surcharges

Now that's nuts!!
Yep, that's why those wanting to $ave don't book Air Canada segments when using their Aeroplan miles. ^
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Originally Posted by RoninTech
Yep, that's why those wanting to $ave don't book Air Canada segments when using their Aeroplan miles. ^

We are all complaining about the level of ac fees but, for clarity, just who is charging (benefiting) from the fees collected . . . . . ac or aeroplan ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.