Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Fan
Routes that do not have fuel surcharges (YQ) when operated by carriers that normally charge YQ:

1. USA-Germany-Other country. If only the Germany-other country segment is on LH it does not have YQ. E.g. DFW-FRA-BLR with TATL on UA and FRA-BLR on LH.
2. USA-Canada-Other country. The USA-Canada segment on AC does not have YQ if the Canada-Other country segment is operated by a carrier that does not charge YQ. E.g. DFW-YYZ-ADD.
Print Wikipost

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: AC *SE, Westjet PLAT, UA Prem, Alaska MVP, Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
YLW-NAN (Fiji)

I paid $31.50 AP service fee plus $211.90 in taxes for a grand total of $243.40
Routing is: YLW(AC)-YVR(UA)-LAX(SQ)-SIN(SQ)-AKL(NZ)-NAN(NZ)-AKL(SQ)-SIN(SQ)-LAX(AC)-YVR(AC)-YLW
NAN is my point of turnaround.... and I have a stop-over in SIN and YVR.
All flights are in BIZ Class and cost 100,000 miles..
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: TK*G, AP Prestige, BAEC, Alaska Air MP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold HHonors GOLD VIP, Hyatt GOLD
I am just new member of FlyerTalk but have been reading the forums quite a bit lately and I'm surprised how wonderful you FF are!! I mean the taxes you paid on these intl flights are amazing for reward flights!! I would hope to book an all J class intl flight to Australia or New Zealand someday, and by the sounds of it booking through the call centre and not using as much AC is the way. However, how far in advanced do you have to book these to get J seats?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:56 pm

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
today HAM- DUS-MIA return YYZ-DUS-HAM J class

All legs business

All LH

$174.00 Total

(which I think is a great deal)
Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:04 pm

Programs: TK*G, AP Prestige, BAEC, Alaska Air MP, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold HHonors GOLD VIP, Hyatt GOLD
Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
YYC-SFO UA F/J
SFO-ICN OZ J
GMP-SHA OZ J
PVG-HKG FM J
HKG-BKK TG J
BKK-UTH TG J
BKK-VIE OS J
VIE-AMS OS J
AMS-FRA LH J
FRA-YYC LH J

Taxes and Fees - $98.62 plus $31.50 Call Centre Booking Fee. 100K miles X2

------------------

YYC-SFO UA F/J
SFO-NRT NH F
NRT-ICN OZ F
ICN-HKG OZ F
HKG-BKK TG F
BKK-SIN LX F
SIN-MUC LH F
MUC-FRA LH J
FRA-YYC LH F

Taxes and Fees - $138.88 plus $31.50 Call Centre Booking Fee. 120K miles.
Whoa!! These are crazy itineraries!! How many stop overs are you allowed each way on reward flights? With the exception of your point of return is there a limit on how long you can stay on each stop over? Sorry I'm a newbie, thanks!!!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 6:10 pm

Programs: ex-US Chairman UA 1K
I just did 4 tickets in the last month, 1 with aeroplan, 1 with us, and 2 with united, here is how they broke down for taxes&fees

Aeroplan EWR-YYZ-NRT-BKK-NRT-JFK $181.79/$24.26 USD + 100,000 Miles

USAIR LAS-LAX-BKK-LAX-BKK $44.81/$90.00 USD +120,000 Miles ($90 fee = $50 for dm reward redemption, $40 for using calling center)

United LGA-ORD-PVG-SIN-BKK-PVG-ORD-LGA $65.09/$0 USD +125,000 Miles
United PVG-SIN-BKK-PVG $32.81/$0 USD +30,000 Miles

Mileage wise, Aeroplan is by far the cheapest, yet most expensive for taxes/fees.

Last edited by stantonhog; Apr 3, 2009 at 8:20 pm Reason: seperated taxes and fees
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by adrian2611
I am just new member of FlyerTalk but have been reading the forums quite a bit lately and I'm surprised how wonderful you FF are!! I mean the taxes you paid on these intl flights are amazing for reward flights!! I would hope to book an all J class intl flight to Australia or New Zealand someday, and by the sounds of it booking through the call centre and not using as much AC is the way. However, how far in advanced do you have to book these to get J seats?
It's not an exact science and depends on the route that you are after, but your chances are much better this year to get the J seats due to the economy. Routes to Asia seem very accessible in Business Class. For example, I just booked YYZ-PEK-BKK-HKT return, all in J class, for October so that was about a 6-month advance booking.
The trick is to spend some planning time using the ANA search tool testing various routes and coming up with an itinerary before you start with the Aeroplan call centre.

Superstarry
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
YYC-DEN-LNK on UA in econo -- $98 CAD in extra charges

Last edited by BlondeBomber; Apr 4, 2009 at 7:44 am
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by stantonhog
I just did 4 tickets in the last month, 1 with aeroplan, 1 with us, and 2 with united, here is how they broke down for taxes&fees

Aeroplan EWR-YYZ-NRT-BKK-NRT-JFK $206.05 USD + 100,000 Miles

USAIR LAS-LAX-BKK-LAX-BKK $134.81 USD +120,000 Miles

United LGA-ORD-PVG-SIN-BKK-PVG-ORD-LGA $65.09 USD +125,000 Miles
United PVG-SIN-BKK-PVG $32.81 USD +30,000 Miles

Mileage wise, Aeroplan is by far the cheapest, yet most expensive for taxes/fees.

I thought the taxes and fees would be the same regardless of who ticketed the award, for US I can understand the extra $50 for booking fee, but why is there such a big difference?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 7:52 pm
Original Member

Differences in surcharges for different airlines

Differences in country fees, e.g. USA has pricey fees

etc etc.

The only way is to compare apples to apples, ie two different programs flying exactly same flights to see who is ripping us off more . . .

What this shows is that one needs to shop around even on reward tickets to get best price, seating, airlines, schedule etc. combination that fits what you need.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
can one get the amount of tax for booking using AC miles by calling when you do not have enough miles?
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:20 pm

Programs: ex-US Chairman UA 1K
Originally Posted by UA Fan
I thought the taxes and fees would be the same regardless of who ticketed the award, for US I can understand the extra $50 for booking fee, but why is there such a big difference?
I just edited to break out the fees from taxes, for US i got charged $90, 50 for the DM award redemption, and $40 for using the calling center
Old Apr 3, 2009, 9:36 pm

Programs: A Few
Originally Posted by adrian2611
Whoa!! These are crazy itineraries!! How many stop overs are you allowed each way on reward flights? With the exception of your point of return is there a limit on how long you can stay on each stop over? Sorry I'm a newbie, thanks!!!
Yes...I do like 'creative' award routings.

AE now allows 2 stopovers plus your point of turnaround on intercontinental awards. They also allow travel over either or both oceans on many Asian destinations. This allows you to construct some fantastic value award redemptions using AE miles.
Old Apr 25, 2009, 9:16 pm
Original Member

Lowest charges of the day for this agent

Lowest price of the day for agent I talked to. $6

Day 1 CA1281 Beijing (PEK) HAILAR (HLD) Economy Confirmed
Day 2 CA1132 HAILAR (HLD) Beijing (PEK) Economy Confirmed
Day 3 CA101 Beijing (PEK) Hong Kong (HKG) Economy Confirmed
(no stopovers allowed but this gave me what I wanted since no other flights valid)

20000 points--would have taken business for 30K but only available on 1 leg
Total taxes/fees $6.00 CAD
(no booking fee--taxes for Air China have to be calculated manually with an agent)

Reminds me of the good old days when reward travel was essentially free!^

Total cost on discount tickets would have been about $500 CAD so an OK but not great use of points. I have a ton so am trying to liquidate a few . . .
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:20 am

Programs: A3*G, AT Gold, National Exec Elite
YOW - IAD (UA)
IAD - GVA (UA)
GVA - BCN (LX)
BCN - LIS (TP)
LIS - PHL (US)
PHL - YOW (US)

$176.75 + $31.50 AP call centre fee
Old Apr 26, 2009, 6:28 am

Programs: A3*G, AT Gold, National Exec Elite
YOW - IAD (UA)
IAD - JFK (UA)
JFK - FRA (SQ)
FRA- GVA (LH)
GVA -FRA (LH)
FRA - JFK (SQ)
JFK - IAD (UA)
IAD - YOW (UA)

80K pts + $136.72 + $31.50 AP Call Centre fee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.