Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Fan
Routes that do not have fuel surcharges (YQ) when operated by carriers that normally charge YQ:

1. USA-Germany-Other country. If only the Germany-other country segment is on LH it does not have YQ. E.g. DFW-FRA-BLR with TATL on UA and FRA-BLR on LH.
2. USA-Canada-Other country. The USA-Canada segment on AC does not have YQ if the Canada-Other country segment is operated by a carrier that does not charge YQ. E.g. DFW-YYZ-ADD.
Print Wikipost

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:01 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Recently booked...

YVR-SFO-LIS-BRU (STOP)
BRU-IST-BEY (<24)-CAI (STOP)
ADD-CPT (STOP)
CPT-JNB-SIN-BKK (<24)-CAN (<24)-WNZ (<24)-TPE-SEA

All J except the prop leg, and CAN-WNZ on Shenzen. Max segments, basically max MPM, I've had multiple flights disappear already, had a couple of them purchased in cash by AP (so it'll be nice to earn the miles on those) and I'm finally able to cross off the rest of the Star Alliance airlines.

165,000 miles (leaving me about 15,000 and change left in my account, not trying to be miles rich when the changeover comes) and $405.71. The agent as usual was kinda shocked by the redemption, which always makes me laugh a bit. Would've been less had I been able to get TPE-YVR but EVA is switching to a 787 and isn't releasing any J seats, also would've been cheaper had I been able to get YVR-SFO on UA, but UA as always, frustrating as hell, no space available on the simplest of flights almost a year out.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 8:11 am

I've had a couple of flights re-booked this year with AP when the flights got cancelled for J. No award availability so I assume that they book a revenue ticket? If so, am I understanding correctly that I'd still collect AP points?

I think I lucked out with a recent booking for next year.

YYZ>EWR>EZE $105 & 55,000 points per passenger (2 pax) J class with UA.
EZE>IAH>YYZ $123 & 30,000 per passenger (2 pax) economy with UA.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by vancouver007
I've had a couple of flights re-booked this year with AP when the flights got cancelled for J. No award availability so I assume that they book a revenue ticket? If so, am I understanding correctly that I'd still collect AP points?

I think I lucked out with a recent booking for next year.

YYZ>EWR>EZE $105 & 55,000 points per passenger (2 pax) J class with UA.
EZE>IAH>YYZ $123 & 30,000 per passenger (2 pax) economy with UA.
People are always a little skittish about talking about this stuff in case the airlines notice, but yes, that's exactly what they do in essence. The first time it happened to me I ASKED if I'd accrue miles and was told no, of course they were wrong. Just check your booking class, if your flight is suddenly booked into Y/Z/C/D etc, not I or X, check wheretocredit and find out. I've earned miles twice on mileage tickets, obviously not the entire trip, but the segment with the corrected booking class, yea.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:49 am

booked in J: AKL-NRT-ICN-DAD (NZ/OZ/OZ) $74.50 + 67.5K. surprised aero spat out this itinerary but I'm not complaining! also got to fly the A380 and 747 on OZ!
YVRYEGYVR likes this.

Last edited by w000t; Jun 24, 2019 at 6:00 am
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E50K, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum, Accor Diamond
Just booked a last minute long weekend trip to Europe to burn off some AE miles

YYC - YVR - AC Y - will try and upgrade at the airport
YVR - MUC - LH F
MUC - VIE - OS J - 48 hr stop
VIE - MUC - OS J - 1.5 day stop
MUC - FRA - LH J - 4hr layover in the FCT
FRA - ORD - LH F
ORD - YUL - AC J
YUL - YYC - AC J

Total taxes/fees including booking charge - 140K miles + $1,590

There was slim pickings getting back to YYC from ORD so had to backtrack a bit... at least the YUL-YYC flight is on an A330. One interesting thing of note is that I was under the impression that LH increased their YQ in F when flying from all North American destinations, however, the YQ from YVR was around $600 whereby flying anywhere else in the US was $1K+. All in all I was happy with the routing given I'm departing a little over 24 hrs out.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
One way tix.

HKG>CAI MS961 22:00>05:50+1
CAI>IST TK693 03:45>07:05
IST>ZRH TK1911 21:20>22:25
ZRH>YUL LX86 12:45>15:15
YUL>YYZ AC

10977 MPM permitted. GCMap shows 10961
All in J. $92.40 + $33.90 booking
Very happy to find a TATL routing from HKG to YYZ with full day stop in Cairo and Istanbul, plus LX on TATL portion.

Now... I'm a layman with very little experience in J class and lounges. Am super stoked. I'm also wondering the following...

Do the lounges typically allow in-and-out privilege with the BP? Am considering going back in CAI IST airside after arriving and clearing immigration/customs to make use of the lounge (shower, specifically) then clear immigration again before heading out to town. Then head into the lounge again before departure. (Needless to say I have no status)

I take it I'm allowed to use the SG lounge in HKG on my MS tix?

Is the YUL domestic lounge that bad? Eat in town first then just grab a Guiness there before flight?

And want to shoutout thanks to everyone that's been helpful actively and passively with the vast of info on the Mini-RTW Q thread and this thread! THANK YOU!!
Rykoshet likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by nnanlno
One way tix.

HKG>CAI MS961 22:00>05:50+1
CAI>IST TK693 03:45>07:05
IST>ZRH TK1911 21:20>22:25
ZRH>YUL LX86 12:45>15:15
YUL>YYZ AC

10977 MPM permitted. GCMap shows 10961
All in J. $92.40 + $33.90 booking
Very happy to find a TATL routing from HKG to YYZ with full day stop in Cairo and Istanbul, plus LX on TATL portion.

Now... I'm a layman with very little experience in J class and lounges. Am super stoked. I'm also wondering the following...

Do the lounges typically allow in-and-out privilege with the BP? Am considering going back in CAI IST airside after arriving and clearing immigration/customs to make use of the lounge (shower, specifically) then clear immigration again before heading out to town. Then head into the lounge again before departure. (Needless to say I have no status)

I take it I'm allowed to use the SG lounge in HKG on my MS tix?

Is the YUL domestic lounge that bad? Eat in town first then just grab a Guiness there before flight?

And want to shoutout thanks to everyone that's been helpful actively and passively with the vast of info on the Mini-RTW Q thread and this thread! THANK YOU!!
That's a LONG way for HKG-YYZ (+40% more says GCMap)
nnanlno likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Asia Miles
Originally Posted by jerryhung
That's a LONG way for HKG-YYZ (+40% more says GCMap)
Not to mention MS961 is actually a direct flight but not non-stop. It makes a stop in BKK between HKG and CAI. Which makes the flying milage even higher at 11,497. +47% per GCMap
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: hahaha
Booked another, in Y this time

YYZ CAI MS
CAI BOM MS STOP
BOM SIN SQ
SIN MEL SQ POT
MEL BKK TG
BKK NRT TG STOP
NRT ORD UA
ORD YYZ UA

$261 + booking fee
Old Jun 28, 2019, 6:19 pm

Programs: Curb Your Enthusiasm, Fraggle Rock
AC1122 YXE-YYZ
TP262 YYZ-LIS
TP842 LIS-FCO
$85.63, all in J
Getting outta YXE to connect to anything at YYZ on an AE redemption is always a tough find (except the first flight of the day), so I'm pleased. Plus I get to check out TP's A330neo!
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by w000t
booked in J: AKL-NRT-ICN-DAD (NZ/OZ/OZ) $74.50 + 67.5K. surprised aero spat out this itinerary but I'm not complaining! also got to fly the A380 and 747 on OZ!
Word to the wise...bring entertainment with you. OZ J class on the 380 (I haven't flown the 747) is nice, but the entertainment suuuuuuuuucks. There'll be like 5 english movies, also they seem to (like some other asian airlines) run the aircraft extremely hot, so don't bundle up. Otherwise enjoy the flight, try to get one of the true window seats for the most privacy.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: IHG Gold
YYZ-LAX AC
LAX-NRT NH STOP
NRT-ICN OZ
ICN-TPE TD STOP
TPE-YYZ

Cost for 2, all in J $478.92
Old Jul 13, 2019, 10:08 pm

YVR-YYZ AC
yyz-lis-ams tap stop
Ams-zrh-jnb lx turnaround
Jnb-hkg sa stop
HKG-tpe-sea br
Sea-YVR AC

346, 30 of which was YQ
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: Alaska,AC,Avios,
Hi , does anyone know which would be the cheapest city( for fuel surcharge/taxes) to fly out of from EU to North America in AC /LH J or are they all about the same, I searched from BRU/MAD/BCN/CDH and they are all approx $350.

Thanks is advance
Old Jul 15, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by tdot_guy
Hi , does anyone know which would be the cheapest city( for fuel surcharge/taxes) to fly out of from EU to North America in AC /LH J or are they all about the same, I searched from BRU/MAD/BCN/CDH and they are all approx $350.

Thanks is advance
Don't believe there are any EU countries that regulate fuel surcharges like countries like Australia and Brasil do. Obviously Germany doesn't so you won't find any LH flights and I think all AC flights from Europe have them. From Europe you're best with LX, SK,LO, TP or TK to NA.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.