Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2018, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Fan
Routes that do not have fuel surcharges (YQ) when operated by carriers that normally charge YQ:

1. USA-Germany-Other country. If only the Germany-other country segment is on LH it does not have YQ. E.g. DFW-FRA-BLR with TATL on UA and FRA-BLR on LH.
2. USA-Canada-Other country. The USA-Canada segment on AC does not have YQ if the Canada-Other country segment is operated by a carrier that does not charge YQ. E.g. DFW-YYZ-ADD.
Print Wikipost

Please list your AP Taxes and SURCHARGES on AP reward tickets

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by Globex
YYZ-TPE BR J
TPE-HKG BR J
HKG-PEK CA Y
PEK-HND NH J
NRT-YVR AC J
YVR-YYZ AC J

HND-YYZ AC J

$248.46 taxes/charges + $33.90 booking fee per person
Just wanted to update this, Instead of doing NRT-YVR-YYZ, now switched to HND-YYZ direct on AC6 on the 787. Found some seats.

They added an extra $11.55 in taxes, but will refund $4.40. I'm guessing this is the difference between leaving HND instead of NRT?

So, $255.61 per person + $33.90 booking fee + $101.70 change fee.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:28 am

Programs: DM, TK Elite, Accor Plt
SFO-YUL in Y

Not an exciting flight but here's the fees:

YQ : 27,00$
XT : 35,60$
12,500 pts
Old Mar 3, 2014, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by beckhampjk
Not an exciting flight but here's the fees:

YQ : 27,00$
XT : 35,60$
12,500 pts
I am curious about the XT.
A simple SFO-YUL should have a tax of USD 2.50 - what kind of taxes are they making up?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:39 pm

Programs: MR Plat
Originally Posted by rankourabu
I am curious about the XT.
A simple SFO-YUL should have a tax of USD 2.50 - what kind of taxes are they making up?
Looks like...

Fuel Surcharge $27.00
Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services $7.50
U.S. International Transportation Tax $20.00
U.S. Passenger Safety Fee $2.90
U.S Passenger Facility Charge $5.10
Old Mar 3, 2014, 7:55 pm

Booked a couple of tickets recently:

(1)
75k one-way HKG-YYZ in J
HKG-PEK connection
PEK-YYZ
China Airport Fee
$16.40
Hong Kong Air Passenger Departure Tax
$17.40
Fuel Surcharge
$135.10
Total per passenger
$168.90
We had also booked the same route above using UA miles and the total taxes/fees came out to US$15.50. Well worth the extra 2,500 UA miles that it takes to book instead of using AP miles.

(2)
37,500 YYZ- HKG one-way direct in Y
Canada Domestic/International Air Travel Security Charge
$25.91
Canada Harmonized Sales Tax
$3.25
Canada Domestic/International Airport Improvement Fee
$25.00
Fuel Surcharge
$128.40
Total per passenger
$182.56

Not surprisingly,
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:13 pm

Looks like...

Fuel Surcharge $27.00
Not only can Air Canada make Fuel Surcharge exceed per seat fuel costs, I bring to everyone's attention Nav Canada's calculator: http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-...alculator.aspx

The Nav Canada TOTAL navigation fees to AC for an Airbus A319 from KSFO-CYUL is.... $227.20; or a little under $2/seat. For this they're charging a surcharge of $7.50/seat? Did Nav Canada PAY Air Canada to fly through Canadian airspace in the past?

Is anyone else outraged ?
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CZBB
Not only can Air Canada make Fuel Surcharge exceed per seat fuel costs, I bring to everyone's attention Nav Canada's calculator: http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/products-...alculator.aspx

The Nav Canada TOTAL navigation fees to AC for an Airbus A319 from KSFO-CYUL is.... $227.20; or a little under $2/seat. For this they're charging a surcharge of $7.50/seat? Did Nav Canada PAY Air Canada to fly through Canadian airspace in the past?

Is anyone else outraged ?
Assuming that calculator takes into account all Nav Canada fees, and not just one fee, this seems like grounds for a huge lawsuit.

Edit: It looks like on top of the per-trip costs, there's an annual fee, a daily charge at most large airports, terminal services charges, etc.

So I don't think it's that simple.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like...

Fuel Surcharge $27.00

This is the only tax that should be charged on a transborder award ticket.
Look at ANY other airline that would issue this award ticket, and that is the charge (although I dont know how USD2.50 translates into CAD2.90 - must be some AC forex special exchange)

The rest should not be charged by AC on this ticket, YQ aside.

I wonder how this is not fraud.

From UA, on the exact same route:
1 Award 12,500 miles
Additional taxes/fees $2.50
Total Price 12,500 Miles and $2.50

Detail Information for Taxes/Fees
1 Adults (age 18 to 64): $2.50
per person
September 11th Security Fee $2.50
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:26 am

To me its all BS. Ticket price just like any other item or service incorporates numerous components to arrive at the total cost. This is a partial list for air tickets:
mechanics
cleaners
pilots
FA
food
beverage
fuel
management
profit
lawyers
airport
security
etc
etc
etc.
Why not list all of the above on your ticket.

Since AC splits out costs for only some elements and excludes these from award tickets makes no difference to us. It seems they do whatever is the most profitable to them.
When we get a revenue ticket or an award ticket, what difference does it make to us how the cost is itemized. In this game or in any other transactions including GST and any other so call taxes or fees charged at the issue time, the listing of such is irrelevant to the consumer. Its all done to fool us and I will go as far as calling ITS ALL A FRAUD.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 9:53 am

Programs: DM, TK Elite, Accor Plt
Can't someone explain to me how come airlines like UA doesn't charge taxes like Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services, U.S. International Transportation Tax and U.S Passenger Facility Charge when those seem "legitimate" as they are some sort of taxes like the Sept 11th Security fee?

On the other hand, fuel charge is a scam on award tix and I agree that we shouldn't be paying them.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can't someone explain to me how come airlines like UA doesn't charge taxes like Nav Canada - Air Navigation Services, U.S. International Transportation Tax and U.S Passenger Facility Charge when those seem "legitimate" as they are some sort of taxes like the Sept 11th Security fee?

On the other hand, fuel charge is a scam on award tix and I agree that we shouldn't be paying them.
Thats what I'd like to know. I mean, its one thing to make up a fictional surcharge and call it YQ - but its another thing to collect taxes that shouldnt be, and make it look legit. Air Canada is clearly doing something here, because if those government taxes were truly due to those agencies, you can be damn sure that UA/AA/US would be collecting them.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
This is the only tax that should be charged on a transborder award ticket.
Look at ANY other airline that would issue this award ticket, and that is the charge (although I dont know how USD2.50 translates into CAD2.90 - must be some AC forex special exchange)

The rest should not be charged by AC on this ticket, YQ aside.

I wonder how this is not fraud.

From UA, on the exact same route:
1 Award 12,500 miles
Additional taxes/fees $2.50
Total Price 12,500 Miles and $2.50

Detail Information for Taxes/Fees
1 Adults (age 18 to 64): $2.50
per person
September 11th Security Fee $2.50

Thats what I'd like to know. I mean, its one thing to make up a fictional surcharge and call it YQ - but its another thing to collect taxes that shouldnt be, and make it look legit. Air Canada is clearly doing something here, because if those government taxes were truly due to those agencies, you can be damn sure that UA/AA/US would be collecting them.
I'm not sure why you think the Nav Canada fee shouldn't be charged. AC pays based on weight, distance, etc. It's not a "per revenue passenger" fee. Just because UA doesn't collect it doesn't mean it's a scam for AC to.

I can't speak for any of the other taxes/fees (well, I have opinions on YQ), but I read enough into the Nav Canada charge last night that I don't feel this is a scam.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze,ex-AC*SE,ex-AC*E,ex-AC*P, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Gold, HH Gold
Using the YUL-SFO info above

A319=120 seats, 120 x $7.50 = $900
NAVCAN charge 227.20, A/C profit = $672.20

Air Canada only needs a load factor of 25% to raise the $227.20 charged by NAVCAN. When was the last time AC operated with a 25% load factor? I think scam is an appropriate description.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,ex-AC*SE,ex-AC*E,ex-AC*P, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Gold, HH Gold
Using the YUL-SFO info above

A319=120 seats, 120 x $7.50 = $900
NAVCAN charge 227.20, A/C profit = $672.20

Air Canada only needs a load factor of 25% to raise the $227.20 charged by NAVCAN. When was the last time AC operated with a 25% load factor? I think scam is an appropriate description.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
I'm not sure why you think the Nav Canada fee shouldn't be charged. AC pays based on weight, distance, etc. It's not a "per revenue passenger" fee. Just because UA doesn't collect it doesn't mean it's a scam for AC to.

I can't speak for any of the other taxes/fees (well, I have opinions on YQ), but I read enough into the Nav Canada charge last night that I don't feel this is a scam.
Wait, so you are saying that - all the other airlines - some of them leaders in cost cutting and devaluations - are graciously footing the bill for these supposed taxes..... really??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.