AC travelling on UA

Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Red face AC travelling on UA

Forgive me if these issues have already been addressed. The questions have been asked in other threads but the answers are not clear to me (I am not that smart, I suppose).

Booked UA flight to US on AC site. I am travelling with my wife and young son.

1. I have lounge access as I am AC SE. I definitely know that I am allowed to have one guest. Will they BOTH be allowed access? Previous posts say yes, others say no - UA site says only one guest but does not mention family members being admitted.

2. but could not select seats at time of booking, nor can I do it now. When/how can I book seats?

3. Do I have access to the economy plus seats (I think this one was answered as a "no").

Looking forward to being enlightened.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by IsleTraveller
Forgive me if these issues have already been addressed. The questions have been asked in other threads but the answers are not clear to me (I am not that smart, I suppose).

Booked UA flight to US on AC site. I am travelling with my wife and young son.

1. I have lounge access as I am AC SE. I definitely know that I am allowed to have one guest. Will they BOTH be allowed access? Previous posts say yes, others say no - UA site says only one guest but does not mention family members being admitted.

It will depend on the lounge agent, she/he may, or may not. Technically, you can bring ONE guest, but most human agents will allow your son

2. but could not select seats at time of booking, nor can I do it now. When/how can I book seats?

You can call UA and book your seats directly with them. You can ask for E+ seating, but you will probably be turned down

3. Do I have access to the economy plus seats (I think this one was answered as a "no").

No, sometimes they will put you there at the gate or during checkin. Depending on the length of the flight, you can pay for the upgrade. All depends on how long and how much.
Looking forward to being enlightened.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Call UA for seats. Note though, that the PNR that AC gave you (or that is on your itinerary on the AC site) will be useless to them - UA should have their own PNR for you. In fact, might be a good idea to get this, as you can check your itinerary in future on the UA site by conf. #/last name. However, since it is likely an AC flight number, you probably won't be able to choose a seat online, only by phone.

Only UA elite's are entitled to free E+ seats for about the last 2-3 years (asked and answered many times in about tens of threads). You definitely won't get them by calling, ICC agents definitely won't do that. You can ask with the agent at check-in or at the gate about E+, but likely won't be given for free, unless the flight is heavily booked, in which case you probably have a better chance.If you really want E+ and are willing to pay, you can try logging in to the United.com with your UA PNR and see if travel options are available for E+ (this is available for UA, just not sure if you can do it on an AC-coded flight). Price will vary based on flight length, and I haven't looked at this in a while, but I think it used to be either $14 or $19 for E+ on YYZ-ORD ('bout two years ago).
Old Feb 4, 2009, 5:38 pm
SYM

Programs: AC SEMM
I think the GA has to charge, but has some flexibility beyond that. On multi-l;egs, I've paid for E+ for one leg, been given it free for a second, or been switched to an exit row for the second
Old Feb 4, 2009, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SYM
I think the GA has to charge, but has some flexibility beyond that. On multi-l;egs, I've paid for E+ for one leg, been given it free for a second, or been switched to an exit row for the second
I was an AC-based *G the year they took free E+ away from non-UA elite's, and had GA's upgrade me to E+ for free at times. It just depends on who it is, so YMMV.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:42 pm

about the lounge... if it's a MLL, then yes, your family will be let in. If it's an RCC, the official line is "no", but i've never had a problem.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:16 pm

I was not permitted to bring my family into the RCC recently in a lounge we had previously all used. Depends on the individual on the day...
Old Feb 11, 2009, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
Thanks, all.

I was able to navigate the UA telephone system in a matter of seconds (literally). I got a live operator who was very helpful in securing seats for me. A very good experience for a non-status UA person.

She mentioned that AC has not released my ticket to UA so I should check with UA a few days before my flight to make sure that this happens or there would be a delay in checking in.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.